cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is (are) the best credit card(s) for rewards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is (are) the best credit card(s) for rewards?

I just searched this question (a few times) and thought there would be multiple threads, but I couldn't find any.

For a person that is just using credit cards to pay bills / pay them off every month, which card or cards offer the best rewards?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is (are) the best credit card(s) for rewards?

It really depends on what type(s) of reward you’re interested in.
Message 2 of 22
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Type of rewards AND type of bills you’re paying. Some cards offer high cashback on certain categories. For example, my US Bank Cash Plus gives me 5% back on my phone bill every month. My BBVA Clearpoints card will give me 3% on gas. For everything else, I go with the Citi DC. 2% on everything. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

For uncomplicated straight rewards on all purchases, PayPal cashback or Citi DC are both 2% cards. 

Then there are the category cards mentioned here. If you pair them with a 2% card you’ll almost always come out ahead but if you just have category cards that give 1% back on other purchases, you’ll end up missing out on cashback most of the time so if you get a category card like the BBVA Compass ClearPoints or the US Bank Cash+, make sure to get a 2% general spend card for everything else. 

Message 4 of 22
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

1. Are you looking for cash back or travel rewards?

2. What categories do most of your spend fall under? 

3. What's your credit score? 

[2/2019]
Message 5 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Type of rewards AND type of bills you’re paying. Some cards offer high cashback on certain categories. For example, my US Bank Cash Plus gives me 5% back on my phone bill every month. My BBVA Clearpoints card will give me 3% on gas. For everything else, I go with the Citi DC. 2% on everything. 

And, to add:  some bills may add on an extra fee for paying by credit card.  (Utilties are like this in my area).   In which case you either decide to skip paying by card, or you have to get one that earns more than the fee.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@pinkandgrey wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

And, to add:  some bills may add on an extra fee for paying by credit card.  (Utilties are like this in my area).   In which case you either decide to skip paying by card, or you have to get one that earns more than the fee.

Or just pay many months at a time to offset the fee. 

Message 7 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just searched this question (a few times) and thought there would be multiple threads, but I couldn't find any.

I am surprised you couldn't find any!  Usually what happens is someone ask "What is the best card?" and get told that it is subjective, depending on goals, spending level and what you spend on.    If there was a single best card, this forum would be much less active!

Note, that's not to say all cards are candidates, there are certainly situations where card A is worse than card B in all practical use cases (As a non-practical one, if your mother is CEO of the issuing bank, might be worth getting card A anyway!).

But the question is pretty similar to going to a forum about cars/pets/careers, and asking "Which is the best car/dog/job?"

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Travel

2. Groceries

3. 720-740

Please any suggestions =)

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

1. Travel

2. Groceries

3. 720-740

Please any suggestions =)

amex gold.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.