Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is considered a cash advance?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is considered a cash advance?

Ok so, if you go to Walmart or target and set up one their pre paid debit card accounts, and you load funds into it, would that be considered a cash advance? I would like to earn miles towards this purchase but NOT if it's considered a cash advance! Thanks!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Re: What is considered a cash advance?

I would assume not it could go either way?? But it's breaking their rules on manufactured spending and they could close your card and you'll lose all the miles Smiley Happy!
Message 2 of 10
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok so, if you go to Walmart or target and set up one their pre paid debit card accounts, and you load funds into it, would that be considered a cash advance? I would like to earn miles towards this purchase but NOT if it's considered a cash advance! Thanks!

It could be considered a quasi cash advance.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 3 of 10
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@Creditplz wrote:
I would assume not it could go either way?? But it's breaking their rules on manufactured spending and they could close your card and you'll lose all the miles Smiley Happy!

+1 Indeed so.

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 4 of 10
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

OP search this forum, other credit forums, and Google for tips on 'meeting credit card minimum spend.' This way you will learn the best way to achieve your goal without violating any terms. Good luck meeting your minimum spend!

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 5 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@sjt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It could be considered a quasi cash advance.

Meaning what!   Presumably OP is interested in whether or not it would be treated as a CA, which has a "yes" or "no" answer.

In any case, you could never load bluebird (the walmart option) with a credit card, and redbird (target) stopped accepting credit cards a long time ago if those are what you are referring to.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can u load pre paid debt card with a credit card? I thought those can only be loaded with cash

Message 7 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Can u load pre paid debt card with a credit card? I thought those can only be loaded with cash

In most cases this is correct... as far as I know, Wal-Mart and Target (and most other stores as well) only accept cash for a pre-paid card reload.

OP, if you want more information on this I suggest doing a google search - there are plenty of websites that cover the topic in great detail. 

That being said, the topic seems to be controversial at times and discussion of manufactured spending isn't in 'sync' with this website's intent as defined by the owners. 

What's not controversial is purchasing store gift cards (Amazon, eBay, etc.) or any other card that can't be converted directly to cash, for example, buying the cards now to use on your holiday expenses.  It also has little to no chance of 'accidentially' coding as a cash advance, and many times if you buy them at a grocery store you'll get fuel points as well.  Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

In most cases this is correct... as far as I know, Wal-Mart and Target (and most other stores as well) only accept cash for a pre-paid card reload.

That being said, the topic seems to be controversial at times and discussion of manufactured spending isn't in 'sync' with this website's intent as defined by the owners. 

What's not controversial is purchasing store gift cards (Amazon, eBay, etc.) or any other card that can't be converted directly to cash, for example, buying the cards now to use on your holiday expenses.  It also has little to no chance of 'accidentially' coding as a cash advance, and many times if you buy them at a grocery store you'll get fuel points as well.  Smiley Wink

Walmart will still accept debit card reloads, target won't.     Re controversial:  (for issuers, rather than for myfico!): there have been a few cases of issuers not liking even the purchase of retail cards.   (This was at a time of a big crackdown, so they may have been justifying their actions even though it was mistake).  I can see some justification for this, buying gift cards at a supermarket for say restaurants or Amazon does increase bonus spending beyond the norm.   Some people here use it to justify getting the BCP for example ("you don't have to buy just groceries")

But normally issuers don't care

Message 9 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

In most cases they don't care. But you do have some that are a bit more tight on how they handle these things. Doing a search before hand is always a good idea, just to be sure.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.