cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is happening to my Amex account?

tag
ttaakk20

What is happening to my Amex account?

I received an email from Amex about a financial hardship relief program and when I log into my account there is a banner there for the same program. I called customer service and they assured me they don't target specific customers and they are doing it because of the panademic. 

Then today I just noticed that my ability to request a CLI is missing from my account options. I used the chatbot and clicked the link and the screen I received said my account was ineligble for CLI because I just had one. It said this for all 3 Amex accounts. 

I chatted with CS rep again and they said my Delta I had to wait 180 days and wouldn't be eligible again until Dec 28th.

I have 3 cards. Delta (last cli June 2021), Blue Cash, Schwab(last cli October 2021)

No lates, and no balances on any of the cards.  Have my cards been declassed for some reasons? Are these two events (email and removal of button) related?

Any insight? The rep told me to call the credit department Monday.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RootDet
Established Contributor

Re: What is happening to my Amex account?

First of all, AMEX looks at you as a member. so when you get a CLI, you are prevented from getting a CLI on all cards for 6 months. If you get denied for cli, you are locked out for 90 days. most banks look at each account on its own merits where AMEX sees the account as you as a person. 

So that is why you can't get a cli on any cards now. 

Message 2 of 7
ttaakk20

Thank you so much RootDet. That explains it. I appreciate the quick reply. I wonder why the CS rep didn't know enough to tell me that. 

Message 3 of 7
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@ttaakk20 wrote:

I received an email from Amex about a financial hardship relief program and when I log into my account there is a banner there for the same program. I called customer service and they assured me they don't target specific customers and they are doing it because of the panademic. 

Then today I just noticed that my ability to request a CLI is missing from my account options. I used the chatbot and clicked the link and the screen I received said my account was ineligble for CLI because I just had one. It said this for all 3 Amex accounts. 

I chatted with CS rep again and they said my Delta I had to wait 180 days and wouldn't be eligible again until Dec 28th.

I have 3 cards. Delta (last cli June 2021), Blue Cash, Schwab(last cli October 2021)

No lates, and no balances on any of the cards.  Have my cards been declassed for some reasons? Are these two events (email and removal of button) related?

Any insight? The rep told me to call the credit department Monday.

Although I haven't received any such communication from Amex--the pandemic relief stuff--I don't think it's anything to worry about, all things considered. I know I've received similar messages from other banks, even though they in no way reflect my financial situation. Who knows what criteria they used to send these messages to you?!

Also, there's a thread around here regarding the CLI button being missing on Amex, so that's not necessarily alarming either. But since you know for sure that *you* cannot get a CLI right now, it's because of the timing of your other increases. As noted upthread, Amex looks at your account as *one* person, not X number of different accounts. So your CLI time-frame is based on your overall activity, not one specific account.

All in all, I don't see any reason at all to call the credit department. I wouldn't. But you do whatever you think is best.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 4 of 7
ttaakk20

@SoCalGardener wrote:

All in all, I don't see any reason at all to call the credit department. I wouldn't. But you do whatever you think is best.

I don't either. This put me at rest that my account hasn't been flagged for some unknown reason. 

Message 5 of 7
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@ttaakk20 wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

I don't either. This put me at rest that my account hasn't been flagged for some unknown reason. 

Excellent decision! Smiley Happy

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 6 of 7
rostrow416
Established Contributor

Normal stuff actually.  CLI button is gone and needs a little effort to get to the request screen.  And CLIs come per person not account every 6 months.  So it's best to plan out CLIs ahead of time since you will only be able to get one card increased.  I've been holding out on requesting on my Amazon Business because I would rather the increase on my BCP, there's a little chess involved with Amex, but it's well worth it.

AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | PenFed Pathfinder $15,000 | Citizen's Bank Cash Back+ $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $6,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX BCP $5,000 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000

Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.