cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is harder to get approved? AMEX Charge Cards or AMEX Credit Cards?

tag
machine
Established Member

What is harder to get approved? AMEX Charge Cards or AMEX Credit Cards?

Hello everyone, frequent browser but first time poster here.

Before I start, just some quick info on myself:

I'm currently  22 years old; senior undergrad student and I only have 5 years worth of credit history. I pay off all my balances in full. Some of my current cards are:

BoA's BankAmericard - 4.25% APR

Citi Forward - 5 points for Restraunts / Movies / Books

Capital One's Sony Card - 5 points for Sony purchases, 3 points for movies / restaurants, 1 point everything else

Discover More - 5% on revolving categories w/ a very attractive "shop discover" online program

I was wondering which is harder to get approved from AMEX, the Charge Cards? or the Credit Cards?

I just recently got approved for the AMEX Blue Sky, no annual fees, and I plan to use this for all my purchases that don't fit into any other reward categories. I find that the AMEX Blue Sky suits me the best based on my personal spending and how I like to travel once a year.

A few questions:

- Are the charge cards harder to get approved?

- I would like to build a good relation with AMEX, do they treat the credit card customers differently from charge cards customers in terms of relationship wise & building credit history with them?

**** I always hear / read about how everyone wants an AMEX Charge Card in their wallet whether it be a ZYNC to start off, or a Green, Gold, Plat, Black, etc. It seems that the charge cards are highly sought after. Even students who don't have a high income seem to desire one of these babies and are more than happy to pay the annual fee amount.

Unfortunately, I just can't see why they are so highly wanted when the redemption rate from AMEX's Membership Rewards seem to be very diluted. There are so many other reward cards out there from VISA / MC / DISCOVER without any annual fee that can compete against AMEX's Reward system, if not even better.

I understand that some people may say that a charge card helps with dicipline in paying off your balance monthly, not allowing you to carry a balance. What's confusing to me is that you can do this with a credit card as well, and for free too!

The only perks I see is that AMEX has great customer service, offer product extension warranty, and purchasing protection, special treatment for entertainment access, but again, most of these are also offered in AMEX's no annual fee credit card line.

I hope no one is taking any offense to the things I'm saying, I've just been truely boggled by this for while and I'm hoping to have some veterans chime in and enlighten me on a few things that I may not be aware of. I would really like to know the true value and perks from the AMEX charge cards.  I admit, I myself would like to get an AMEX charge card, but only because I see everyone else chasing one, making it look attractive. Kind of like trying to get the girl all the other guys are chasing after. But luckily I've been able to keep myself from falling for this marketing trap, without first having a good valid reason, which is why I'm here asking this very question. Please shed some light!****

Thanks you in advance for anyone who can share some insight on your thoughts and experience, it can definitely help other's my age.

Last app: 7/14/13
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
mross1080
Established Contributor

Re: What is harder to get approved? AMEX Charge Cards or AMEX Credit Cards?

Let me start by saying I like amex so most of what I say is going to be pro amex. The charge cards IMO are much easier to get than revovling cards. That along with its harder to get a higher limit with a credit product from them. If I need to charge 10k a month in on my charge I can. Its a lot harder for someone to get a credit product with a 10k. Also all the things your stated that make amex good, warranty, customer service, etc but you did leave one thing out which is why I use my amex 90 percent of the time. If you ever have to file a dispute they are the best! Try filing a dispute with HSBC or capital one and see how it works out. All in all I think amex caters to the customer more and not themselves like other banks. Even though there at it for themselves, Nobody including me like there FR practices.

Message 2 of 14
mross1080
Established Contributor

Oh and mind my manners. Welcome to the boards!

Message 3 of 14
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

as mross stated Amex Charge card is easier to get. Amex likes their cards being used heavily and pay it every month.

Message 4 of 14
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I have 2 of their revolving cards, however, they do NOT count for the preferred seating...which I found out afterwards and I would heavily use.  It's making me want a charge card from them just for that reason.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Their Amex Zync is easiest to get.

Message 6 of 14
jason86423
Frequent Contributor

I have 3 cards with AMEX.  Delta Gold, Zync and Premier Rewards Gold.  Short term I have found that the Premier Rewards Gold is the better of the 3 products I have due to the membership rewards program and the preferred seating.  I will cringe when the annual fee hits in October so I may rethink which card is best.  

I have seen several recent approvals for the Premier Rewards Gold as well as the Zync. Some of the approvals have been in the low 600's on credit score.

If you choose a charge card product and the membership rewards program is what you are looking for, review each card and it's benefits as they do differ quite a bit.

Message 7 of 14
RHAL
Regular Contributor

I can vouch for the low 600's score getting the PR Gold. Smiley Very Happy

My wallet? AMEX PR Gold NPSL, AMEX HH 1k, Citi Hilton Reserve VS, CSP 9.2k, Chase Freedom 6.7k, Chase Sapphire 5.2k, USAA AMEX 2k, Cap 1 Cash 1.2k, BBRZ MC 500, Barclaycard Apple 1.5k, Barclay Ring 4.5k, Bank Americard 123 5.5k, NFCU Cash 14k

Starting Score: (9/27/10)TU:602 EQ:567
Current Score: TU:670 EQ:670 EX: 706 chase pull
Goal Score: TU:700 EQ:700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

My wallet? AMEX PR Gold, Citi Hilton Gold, Cap 1 Cash, BBRZ MC, Barclaycard Apple, Bank Americard Cash
Message 8 of 14
score_building
Senior Contributor

+1 one to PP Amex charge cards can be had even w/ somewhat challenged profiles and/or lowish scores in many cases, while Amex cc requirements tend to be more rigorous.  

having a mini luv affair with Amex for quite some time now (member since '90) but it wasn't always that way... do feel they are a generous lender that offers a distinguishably high level of service and strong credit products, if the rewards are well matched to lifestyle.

btw!  Welcome to the Forums!  V. impressive 1st post on many levels, if i could turn back time would want to deal with credit like you are currently and at such a relatively young age, kudos to you! 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 9 of 14
machine
Established Member

@score_building wrote:

+1 one to PP Amex charge cards can be had even w/ somewhat challenged profiles and/or lowish scores in many cases, while Amex cc requirements tend to be more rigorous.  

having a mini luv affair with Amex for quite some time now (member since '90) but it wasn't always that way... do feel they are a generous lender that offers a distinguishably high level of service and strong credit products, if the rewards are well matched to lifestyle.

btw!  Welcome to the Forums!  V. impressive 1st post on many levels, if i could turn back time would want to deal with credit like you are currently and at such a relatively young age, kudos to you! 

Thank you! I must give credit back to online communities like these and finance blogs. I've been able to learn so much from reading tips that everyone shares, helping each other out.

Also thanks to everyone else to give their feedback!

Since I've been approved for the AMEX Blue Sky, will AMEX backdate my charge card when I apply in the future? I'm wondering this because the Blue Sky is a revolving credit card and wasn't sure if AMEX treated them differently with backdates and history.

I guess I won't be getting an AMEX Charge Card until I graduate with a higher income with a higher spending pattern in order to benefit from the perks. As of where I'm at right now, I wouldn't be gaining much from a charge card with the annual fees and with my low income. My yearly spending on a charge card would be enough to cover the GOLD annual fees, but it is definitely not high enough to make it worth while when I can put all my spending on an alternative non-annual fee rewards card.

On the bright side, I'm grateful that I'm atleast in the AMEX family with the BLUE SKY.

Last app: 7/14/13
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.