cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is "spending power' from american express???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is "spending power' from american express???

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Also note that the talk about using the button causing a FR is urban myth... if somebody had a FR after using the spending ability button, they had it coming anyway... American Express has better things to do than request the tax records of people who check their spending ability "too many" times. 

Might be a myth, but this is actually one of the Amex myths that I've been too scared to mess with. I've literally never clicked on that feature, neither on my Green when I had it nor on my BCP.

On the other hand, I've put so much Walmart spend (including dozens of tiny $5 transactions) through my BCP that they probably think I own stock in the company, but it's obvious Amex couldn't care less about that particular urban legend. I also received a 3x CLI to $15k at the 6 mos mark while carrying a sizeable balance on the card: I think it was a $3k balance with a $5k limit when I was approved for the 3x CLI. So likely another urban myth about Amex despising people carrying balances.

What UL is that? I haven't heard that one.

As for despising balances, I'm sure they want ppl to use responsibly and not max the cards, but I never thought it made sense that any CC company would despise earning interest and only earning swipe fees. Smiley Tongue

Message 21 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Also note that the talk about using the button causing a FR is urban myth... if somebody had a FR after using the spending ability button, they had it coming anyway... American Express has better things to do than request the tax records of people who check their spending ability "too many" times. 

Might be a myth, but this is actually one of the Amex myths that I've been too scared to mess with. I've literally never clicked on that feature, neither on my Green when I had it nor on my BCP.

On the other hand, I've put so much Walmart spend (including dozens of tiny $5 transactions) through my BCP that they probably think I own stock in the company, but it's obvious Amex couldn't care less about that particular urban legend. I also received a 3x CLI to $15k at the 6 mos mark while carrying a sizeable balance on the card: I think it was a $3k balance with a $5k limit when I was approved for the 3x CLI. So likely another urban myth about Amex despising people carrying balances.

Walmart isn't categorized as a supermarket... Other cards get better returns than the BCP at WallyWorld...

Message 22 of 29
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

When I am bored at work I play with this button maybe every month or two  As others stated it is an urban myth that is leads to a FR.  

Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@greent wrote:
I see this in my account on line but don't know what it is. Can someone tell Me?

A trap is what it is.

Right, because all issuers are interested in spending resources on creating traps for their customers....

I use it. I love it. PRG paying rent baby.

Message 24 of 29
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@greent wrote:
I see this in my account on line but don't know what it is. Can someone tell Me?

A trap is what it is.

Right, because all issuers are interested in spending resources on creating traps for their customers....

It's an industry which spends much of its "resources" on tempting people to spend more than they should.  If you don't think that's a trap, fine, but don't mock me for not sharing your views.

If you think it's ok to spend more than your credit limit, be my guest. But it is in fact a risky practice.

As I know you are aware, even spending anywhere near one's credit limit is a risky practice.

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine, so please don't mock me just because you disagree with me.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 25 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
but it's obvious Amex couldn't care less about that particular urban legend.

What UL is that? I haven't heard that one.

As for despising balances, I'm sure they want ppl to use responsibly and not max the cards, but I never thought it made sense that any CC company would despise earning interest and only earning swipe fees. Smiley Tongue

Yeah, I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's definitely something that was brought up over and over again in a serious tone by some people. If you google something like, "walmart american express financial review", you'll find lots of such comments, even some from this forum, backed by the occasional anecdote. I guess the thinking behind this UL is that shopping at "discount" or "lower class" establishments is a sign of financial distress. I always found the premise pretty hilarious.

Also, when I was carrying that $3k balance on my BCP, it was on Amex's dime since I was still well under the 0% intro APR. Smiley Happy Otherwise I agree with your sentiment about it not really making sense why Amex wouldn't want their clients to carry balances and pay interest since that's the bread and butter as far as CC revenue.

Message 26 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Walmart isn't categorized as a supermarket... Other cards get better returns than the BCP at WallyWorld...

Yeah, I know. Smiley Happy I could use my Cap1 QS or even Venture for better returns, but I don't really care anymore. I just use my Amex a lot because they've always been good to me. Plus unless you're talking about the difference between a 1% and 5% card, I find myself not overthinking things nowadays. Walmart would come up as grocery on my BoA 123 card depending on the location and even register I used, but it was just too much trouble to keep track of such things. If I had the Sallie Mae, that's probably the only card I'd really make a concerted effort to use at Wally World.

Message 27 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok. All my points and CB cards are just shy of a year old, so I obsess about such things still...
Message 28 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@greent wrote:

A trap is what it is.

It's an industry which spends much of its "resources" on tempting people to spend more than they should.  If you don't think that's a trap, fine, but don't mock me for not sharing your views.

If you think it's ok to spend more than your credit limit, be my guest. But it is in fact a risky practice.

As I know you are aware, even spending anywhere near one's credit limit is a risky practice.

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine, so please don't mock me just because you disagree with me.

OK, my apologies, I thought you meant trap in a different way (e.g. you will get FRd).

That said, I don't think spending above your credit is all that more dangerous than spending within say 40% of your credit limit.   It's not as if all issuers give CLs at "safe levels", see all the rush to get cards with the highest SL, CLIs, and highest multiples of CL to income.   So if you have issues handling credit, being able to put 10K on your Amex rather than 8K, isn't going to the final blow.

ETA: And since this is Amex: if I have a $8K CL, I could use the feature to see if I could charge $10K (not sure if I have to pay the $2K down next cycle, like Visa Sig) or I could try for a 3x CLI and maybe get a $24K CL.   Which is safer for my credit health?  (And yes, people here would get the CLI then go over that limit...)

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.