cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is so especial about America Express?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is so especial about America Express?

What is interesting about this card? Does it raise your score faster than the others? Does it gives you a better rate? Does it give you a better credit limit? What is so especial?

Is it true?

You have to pay the whole amount and the end of the month.

What is the best score to apply for one?

700?

Can someone explain to me about this card and its advantages. Thank you.
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What is so especial about America Express?

Redamagon wrote:
What is interesting about this card? Does it raise your score faster than the others? Does it gives you a better rate? Does it give you a better credit limit? What is so especial?

Is it true?

700?

AmEx has excellent customer service, generous credit limit increases and the best rewards programs. I have a Blue Card (revolving) and a Gold Charge Card (PIF, pay in full). They are not the credit stickler they once were...Discover has this distinction now.

FICO scores alone, most people can get approved for these Amex CCs with a score of 625 and no BK on their credit reports:

Gold Delta Skymiles, Starwoods, Hilton
Clear, Blue, Blue Cash, Gold (PIF card) require higher scores. Not too sure about the Green Card.
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

How abour paying back the whole amount at the end of the month is that true? 
Message 3 of 21
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Redamagon wrote:
How abour paying back the whole amount at the end of the month is that true? 

The only PIF cards are the Amex Platinum CC, both Gold cards and the Green. The rest allow you to revolve. Do you want me to recommend a card for you? If yes, do you know your FICO scores? What type of rewards interest you...airline miles, cash back, etc. Do you prefer to pay in full or revolve?
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in a strange situation, because my Ex, EQ are close to which other.........Exp 666, EQ 660 and according to the tools that I used in this website with the scores that I bought .........my score should be around 700 and 701 in a mouth from now, because I paid off all my cards. TransUnion is another dilema, because my score with them is 599. I am trying to disputes somethings with them, as this verizon account, and Inquires that is affecting my score. If everything goes as plan, I will apply for a loan about two months from now and about one good credit card. I will try to do all at the same day, so I can have a better chance not to get my credit drop before I get the loan, and I am hoping for them to use the same credit bureau.
Message 5 of 21
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Redamagon wrote:
I am in a strange situation, because my Ex, EQ are close to which other.........Exp 666, EQ 660 and according to the tools that I used in this website with the scores that I bought .........my score should be around 700 and 701 in a mouth from now, because I paid off all my cards. TransUnion is another dilema, because my score with them is 599. I am trying to disputes somethings with them, as this verizon account, and Inquires that is affecting my score. If everything goes as plan, I will apply for a loan about two months from now and about one good credit card. I will try to do all at the same day, so I can have a better chance not to get my credit drop before I get the loan, and I am hoping for them to use the same credit bureau.

Most people report that EQ and EX are pulled a lot more than TU. I'm not sure if this is necessarily true for everyone, but it is for me. I live in Hawaii and EQ is pulled the most, with EX a distant second and TU almost nonexistent.
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian for me in AZ...
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fused111 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it true?

700?

AmEx has excellent customer service, generous credit limit increases and the best rewards programs. I have a Blue Card (revolving) and a Gold Charge Card (PIF, pay in full). They are not the credit stickler they once were...Discover has this distinction now.

FICO scores alone, most people can get approved for these Amex CCs with a score of 625 and no BK on their credit reports:

Gold Delta Skymiles, Starwoods, Hilton

Clear, Blue, Blue Cash, Gold (PIF card) require higher scores. Not too sure about the Green Card.

What about the Blue Sky? I think that one has the best rewards of all the Blues. .. .. Only because I travel a lot. =D So that's why I converted from Blue, to Blue Sky. I don't see anything great about Blue. I don't even know how to use the points. lol
Message 8 of 21
smallfry
Senior Contributor

IF you like applying for new credit cards and luv the luv button I would avoid AMEX. Lots of F/R these days.
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think AMEX is great for people who travel outside the of the US, besides great customer Service, The great travel rewards programs and wider acceptance in Europe make it attractive choice, for others it seems that more places are in the US that accept 3 out of 4 major CCCs. take Discover. I have also learned from a store manager I know, that one thing that merchants dislike about AMEX is that they take their fee at the time that the transaction takes place( think paypal). Rather than sending the merchant  a bill every month, as does VISA amd Mastercard.
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.