Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the BEST Citibank credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the BEST Citibank credit card?

I recently purchased a home last year and received an invitation mailer from Citibank for the following cards:

1) CitiRewards

2) CitiDouble Cash

3) Citi Premier

4) Citi Advantage 

My questions are:

Which bureau is pulled for California residents? Are they inquiry sensitive? Why are starting limits so low? (this is what I have heard) How can I avoid balance chasing on a Citibank card? (I hear they are famous for this)...I don't want to ruin my credit with a balance chaser. Right now I have about $70K in CL's. I like Citibank cash back offers but afraid of balance chasing. Thanks for your feedback here.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What is the BEST Citibank credit card?

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently purchased a home last year and received an invitation mailer from Citibank for the following cards:

1) CitiRewards

2) CitiDouble Cash

3) Citi Premier

4) Citi Advantage 

My questions are:

Which bureau is pulled for California residents? Are they inquiry sensitive? Why are starting limits so low? (this is what I have heard) How can I avoid balance chasing on a Citibank card? (I hear they are famous for this)...I don't want to ruin my credit with a balance chaser. Right now I have about $70K in CL's. I like Citibank cash back offers but afraid of balance chasing. Thanks for your feedback here.

"Best" is really subjective depending on the individual and how they intend to use a specific set of products.  You would have to decide which card fits your spending and lifestyle.  Things to consider are whether you're looking for cashback, dabble in the TY ecosystem, or if your airline of choice is American.

As far as inquiry/new accounts sensitive, there's been numerous DPs on that, this also includes the SL -- it boils down to overall profile.  When it comes to Adverse Actions, that happens with any lender - SYNCB, Comenity, Discover, Chase, BoA, Barclays, AmEx etc. -- they all balance chase so this isn't exclusive to Citi, especially if potential risk 'flags' or behaviors arise.  As far as CRA's, they have been known to pull any of the 3, and in a variety of cases, a combination of 2.

Message 2 of 7
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

From what I've read and personal experience, Citi favors EQ in the Golden State, but anything is possible. They may decide to dip into EX and EQ at the same time on borderline decisions. TU seems to be least favored but not unheard of.

Citi has been known to balance chase for odd and then sometimes obvious reasons. It seems a phonecall or letter can restore a CL under certain circumstances, but YMMV. For most people around here, Citi seems to be pretty solid though.

You also need to decide if you want to play in the cash back or Thank You points sandbox. 

Message 3 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

1) CitiRewards

2) CitiDouble Cash

3) Citi Premier

4) Citi Advantage 

My questions are:

1. As to which card is best, it depends what you're looking for. Citi Premier is a good card if you're looking for travel rewards. Double Cash is a good card if you're looking for cash.

2. I don't know which bureau they pull for CA residents.

3. Yes they have become inquiry sensitive.

4. My experience supports your belief that the starting limits are on the low side.

5. I have never experienced balance chasing with them, and have not heard that from others.  They have been completely no-hassle. Most lenders will lower your limits or close your accounts if you appear to be running into financial trouble.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 4 of 7
Roadgeek395
Regular Contributor

I am a California resident and they pulled Equifax and Experian when I got the Citi Double Cash card last summer.

Message 5 of 7
CaptJOB
Regular Contributor

I got the Premier last month and it was just an EX pull(based in San Francisco) and they have me 9.1k on top of the 19k they approved me for on the AA card I opened last year(which is now at 21k). 168k reported income. If your profile supports it I don't think they're stingy with CLs.

Message 6 of 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Mailers are just ads. Approval is (AFAIK) not guaranteed, nor does the lack of a mailer indicate you wouldn't be approved for a particular card.

I like my Costco card for gas and extended warranties on Costco purchases.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.