cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the Best Groceries Cash Back Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is the Best Groceries Cash Back Card?

@kdm31091 wrote:
With such low monthly grocery spend I wouldn’t bother with a dedicated grocery card. Trying to over optimize just spreads out your rewards and makes it take forever to reach any meaningful redemption.

Note also to be slightly wary of points programs for cash back. The issuer is free to change the ratio at any time, so what is a 1 to 1 conversion today could be nerfed to a less favorable rate at any random time.

$150 for $1500 of spend negates those issues for awhile. Maybe I’ll save the app for October though when my 0% runs out on the SavorOne. Guess we will see what spend I have early next year.

Message 21 of 106
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
With such low monthly grocery spend I wouldn’t bother with a dedicated grocery card. Trying to over optimize just spreads out your rewards and makes it take forever to reach any meaningful redemption.

Note also to be slightly wary of points programs for cash back. The issuer is free to change the ratio at any time, so what is a 1 to 1 conversion today could be nerfed to a less favorable rate at any random time.

+1.   Penfed being an example.  (And in that case, no announcement, just points needed for redemption increased)

Message 22 of 106
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP - I go to Neighborhood Walmart (not sure if you have any by you) and it codes as grocery and you get 6% CB with AMEX BCP. I tried this with Chase Freedom when it was 5% on groceries and although it coded as a grocery store, you did not get 5% CB (only 1% CB). Hope this helps!

Message 23 of 106
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think in most cases, someone would net more savings shopping for groceries at Walmart with NO cash back at all rather than at a supermarket with 6% CB from a BCP, simply because Walmart's prices are that much better.  That doesn't take into account things like couponing that one can have success with at certain supermarkets, but it's a point worth making regardless. 

Paying 10%-20% more on groceries just to get 6% back for example still results in a net loss of 4%-14% over shopping at the cheaper place.

Message 24 of 106
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much! Didn't know of that. Just looked it up and apparently there are some around me!

@Anonymous wrote:

OP - I go to Neighborhood Walmart (not sure if you have any by you) and it codes as grocery and you get 6% CB with AMEX BCP. I tried this with Chase Freedom when it was 5% on groceries and although it coded as a grocery store, you did not get 5% CB (only 1% CB). Hope this helps!

Message 25 of 106
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good point! Thanks to Cubs (above), I found there are several Neighborhood Walmarts near me so I can double to see if they code as merchant but I definitely agree with you about overpaying. 

Message 26 of 106
calyx
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think in most cases, someone would net more savings shopping for groceries at Walmart with NO cash back at all rather than at a supermarket with 6% CB from a BCP, simply because Walmart's prices are that much better.  That doesn't take into account things like couponing that one can have success with at certain supermarkets, but it's a both worth making regardless. 

Paying 10%-20% more on groceries just to get 6% back for example still results in a net loss of 4%-14% over shopping at the cheaper place.

That's going to depend on not just the supermarket, though (and reminder that groceries != supermarket), but also the area they're located.   In my area, most of the grocery stores are not much higher (if at all) than walmart.     I shop Lidl and I pay way less for a lot of stuff than people do at walmart (I can't speak to the discount grocery markets here, as I've not been).   And we get the bonus of the supermarket category.   

So YES, absolutely, you shouldn't just change your shopping habits for a CB card, especially if it doesn't make financial sense, but if you can get good rewards without changing habits, do eeet.   But there are so many factors, it's no wonder this game is confusing for everyone.   

Personal preferences will always play a roll as well.  I'll have 30 credit cards to squeeze out every last percentage, install honey, rakuten, and every online money saver available, but good luck getting me to clip a coupon Smiley Wink

(also, I would like to thank the stars that I can buy wine in grocery stores...  I won't say I get a lot of rewards from there, I'm just saying it might happen).

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 27 of 106
bergrides
Regular Contributor

I agree with @calyx.  None of the Walmarts around us are Neighborhood Walmarts, and there is only one Super Walmart, which doesn't have much in the way of groceries,and the produce leaves much to be desired.  Each person has to decide what works best for them.

Message 28 of 106
Anonymous
Not applicable

Certainly it's always going to be geography-specific and if someone has a grocery store that beats Walmart prices by all means it makes sense to shop there.  Walmart is a giant though, so based on simple economics the majority of the time you're going to see their prices lower than smaller organizations.  It all depends on what you have around you.  I've got 5 different grocery store chains within a 15 minute drive of where I live and none of them beat Walmart's prices as a whole.  Sure, a product here or a product there can be cheaper, but I'm not one of those people that's willing to devote a half day off to driving to 5 different grocery stores to get the select cheap(er) products that they have.

Message 29 of 106
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Certainly it's always going to be geography-specific and if someone has a grocery store that beats Walmart prices by all means it makes sense to shop there.  Walmart is a giant though, so based on simple economics the majority of the time you're going to see their prices lower than smaller organizations.  It all depends on what you have around you.  I've got 5 different grocery store chains within a 15 minute drive of where I live and none of them beat Walmart's prices as a whole.  Sure, a product here or a product there can be cheaper, but I'm not one of those people that's willing to devote a half day off to driving to 5 different grocery stores to get the select cheap(er) products that they have.

Do you have Aldi or Lidl?  These are most likely to beat Walmart.

Message 30 of 106
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.