cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the approval criteria for discover now a days?

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is the approval criteria for discover now a days?

are you being serious?
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

reason i ask because of your sig

"Goals for 2009 - No New Accounts"

how many new accounts are you for 2009 already?

as far as Discover i think they are more lenient than they used to be

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm interested in Discover also.  I have been told that apps from Texas pull TU exclusively.  Anyone confirm?  Also, are they a good reward card and do they give reasonably high CL on app?  Last question, are they instant approve with CL or do they approve and then send CL with card 10 days latter (like CapOne)?
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can tell you this they don't like new accounts or inquries no matter what your score is. I applied last year an was denied for to many new accounts an inquries i had no baddies on my TU report an my score was 724 at the time i applied. I was told over the phone if i didn't have the new accounts i could have easily been approved for there card was told a wait 2 years an reapply.
Message Edited by mjbfan79 on 03-28-2009 07:04 PM
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
are you being serious?

lol
Message 6 of 23
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

reason i ask because of your sig

"Goals for 2009 - No New Accounts"

how many new accounts are you for 2009 already?

as far as Discover i think they are more lenient than they used to be

No, I am not apping, just curious and asking, I can live with out it for another 12 months. Discover is the only major card I do not have ( except HSBC Discover). I have not apped for any new personal card in 2009. BestBuy Rewards Zone MC, I applied in November and got it in Jan. For Business I applied for PLUM / Amex Biz Platinum. I got approved for Plum Card. I have no plans to apply for any personal cards in 2009. I want my accounts to age and reach 700 club. To be honest, I have so many personal / biz cards, it is slowly getting harder for me to keep track of accounts. Now spring is around the corner, I want to spend time playing golf and expand the business and increase revenues.
Message 7 of 23
GomerPyle
Regular Contributor

I was approved for Discover More card on March 16. They pulled Transunion. I received a 12,500 CL. My TU score at the time was 767 with no inq and no new accounts. I was very pleased with that. I love the USA flag card. The decision was instant and online.
Message Edited by GomerPyle on 03-28-2009 05:47 PM
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

My approval was early March also. They pulled my worst report, EQ, the only one still reporting 2001 BK and only one showing an almost 7 yr old, unpaid Med. bill. I believe my score at the time must have been 710-720. I  received instant approval and I believe they gave me my CL ($5000) instantly also.

Don't count on a TU pull...the credit pull data base I check shows a lot of EX pulls in TX. also...a few EQ.

When they softed me for a pre-approval several months ago they checked EX. Not sure why I let that pre-approval slip by and did cold app instead. Glad I did though because in the meantime I managed to have an old baddie that was incorrectly reporting as new removed from my EQ report.

Message Edited by VEEnVEGAS on 03-28-2009 06:11 PM
Message Edited by VEEnVEGAS on 03-30-2009 03:59 PM
Message 9 of 23
hemi961
Regular Contributor

I applied in Feb. and they pulled TU for me in Arizona.  My score at that time was 780 after 5 new accounts and 5 inquiries.  They declined due to inquiries and new accounts.  Guess I should have tried them first.
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.