cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best Amex Card to start over with after a 15 year Charge-off?

tag
BBYGRL
Established Contributor

Re: What is the best Amex Card to start over with after a 15 year Charge-off?

@UncleB wrote:

@BBYGRL wrote:

Thank you all for the great advice!  I think I'm ready to see what happens.  I'm well aware they may reject me but I will never know until I try. Thinking postive thoughts. 

I used this link https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/tools/25330?linknav=us-CCSG-ProspectNav-SpecialOffer... check my offers. Only the Amex Everyday and Everyday Preferred were listed. Decisions, decisions. 

Keep in mind that many of us (myself included) have never gotten a prequal for an Amex product, yet we still got approved.  Smiley Wink

I would still go for the card you actually want... that you have prequals for any product at all is a good sign.  Smiley Happy

Thank you Thank you Thank you UncleB!!!!!

10/08 - EX 795 / EQ 816 / TU 806
6/09 - EQ 763 / TU 770

Starting Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Current Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Goal Score (12/2010): TU-780, EQ-790

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 34
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@BBYGRL wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@BBYGRL wrote:

Thank you all for the great advice!  I think I'm ready to see what happens.  I'm well aware they may reject me but I will never know until I try. Thinking postive thoughts. 

I used this link https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/tools/25330?linknav=us-CCSG-ProspectNav-SpecialOffer... check my offers. Only the Amex Everyday and Everyday Preferred were listed. Decisions, decisions. 

Keep in mind that many of us (myself included) have never gotten a prequal for an Amex product, yet we still got approved.  Smiley Wink

I would still go for the card you actually want... that you have prequals for any product at all is a good sign.  Smiley Happy

Thank you Thank you Thank you UncleB!!!!!

Huge congrats on your approval!  Smiley Very Happy

I know exactly how you feel... for me it was almost surreal! 

You're going to love your new card... again, congrats!  screamer.gif

Message 22 of 34
BBYGRL
Established Contributor

So, will they automatically back date my account or do I have to ask? I don't want to be greedy. Smiley Happy

6/09 - EQ 763 / TU 770

Message 23 of 34
BBYGRL
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

I will also add that like others have mentioned, they 'forgave' but they definitely didn't forget... in my case they also updated my 'Member since" date online within a few days of  my approvals, but each time I've tried to get a CLI on my BCP (Blue Cash Preferred) I've been turned down due to the account that was included in bankruptcy 15 years ago.  While I would like a slightly higher credit line, it is what it is, and I'm simply glad to have accounts with them again.  (Oddly, in my case they won't give me a CLI, but they will approve additional revolving credit lines).

I just answered my question about back dating/updating "member since" date. I'll report back and will let you all know what happens. Having that tradeline from 1997 would be awesome!

6/09 - EQ 763 / TU 770

Message 24 of 34
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@BBYGRL wrote:

So, will they automatically back date my account or do I have to ask? I don't want to be greedy. Smiley Happy

Most likely the new card will come with 2016 as the member date, since it usually takes them a few days to "find" your old date (this is the way it worked for me, and several others have said it was this way for them as well).  As with all things credit, though, YMMV... there's always a chance yours will come with the correct (old) date!

If you set up your online account after your approval, you might be greeted as "Member since 2016", if so, in a few days it will probably change to "Member since <old date>", in my case after about a week I started seeing "Member since 1995" when I logged in.

My first card came with the 2015 date, but any replacement cards will come with the 'old' date, 1995 in my case.  If you really want the old date you can call them and they will send you a fresh card right away, but in my case I'm just waiting until I need a new card due to wear-and-tear (or the card expires).  Notably, in May of this year when I applied for the PRG and Delta Gold they each have different dates... the PRG has 2016 (I applied without logging in first to be able to get a new account promo) and my Delta Gold came with 1995 on the plastic card, since I was logged in when I applied for it.

Basically, I now have three Amex cards, each with a different 'Member since" date.  Any replacement cards will show the 'old' date, though. 

Message 25 of 34
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@BBYGRL wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

I will also add that like others have mentioned, they 'forgave' but they definitely didn't forget... in my case they also updated my 'Member since" date online within a few days of  my approvals, but each time I've tried to get a CLI on my BCP (Blue Cash Preferred) I've been turned down due to the account that was included in bankruptcy 15 years ago.  While I would like a slightly higher credit line, it is what it is, and I'm simply glad to have accounts with them again.  (Oddly, in my case they won't give me a CLI, but they will approve additional revolving credit lines).

I just answered my question about back dating/updating "member since" date. I'll report back and will let you all know what happens. Having that tradeline from 1997 would be awesome!

Just to clarify, they no longer backdate with the credit bureaus... they stopped that March 2015.  Smiley Sad

The date is on the card for 'cosmetic' purposes, but otherwise doesn't really matter.  Last year I missed having two cards backdated 20 years (with the credit bureaus) by three weeks (my approvals were in April, right after backdating stopped).  As disappointing as that is, I'm still just glad to be back with them at all. 

Message 26 of 34
BBYGRL
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@BBYGRL wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Just to clarify, they no longer backdate with the credit bureaus... they stopped that March 2015.  Smiley Sad

The date is on the card for 'cosmetic' purposes, but otherwise doesn't really matter.  Last year I missed having two cards backdated 20 years (with the credit bureaus) by three weeks (my approvals were in April, right after backdating stopped).  As disappointing as that is, I'm still just glad to be back with them at all. 

Good to know. I'd rather have a second chance than the backdate. It;s better than being blacklisted or on the Oasis program. Plus they were generous with the CL. A fresh start! I'm grateful!

6/09 - EQ 763 / TU 770

Message 27 of 34
BBYGRL
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@BBYGRL wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

This is absolutely right UncleB. My first statement cut and when I looked at my account online, my member since had changed from 2016 to 1988. I'll take it! :-)  I think I would like to product change to BCP since I use this card for daily purchases - gas, groceries, etc. - and I pay it off before the statement closes. I'm wondering if it is too soon to ask.

6/09 - EQ 763 / TU 770

Message 28 of 34
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@BBYGRL wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@BBYGRL wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

This is absolutely right UncleB. My first statement cut and when I looked at my account online, my member since had changed from 2016 to 1988. I'll take it! :-)  I think I would like to product change to BCP since I use this card for daily purchases - gas, groceries, etc. - and I pay it off before the statement closes. I'm wondering if it is too soon to ask.

Unfortunately they don't allow changes (at least at this time) from their MR earning cards to cash back cards (like BCP or BCE).  Smiley Sad

However the good news is that now that you're a cardholder, if you apply for an additional card it's only a SP if not approved (HP if approved).  While the usual 'YMMV' caveat applies as always and you'll find reports of an occasional exception, this is usually the experience of most people on here.

As for if it's too soon or not, there's really no way to know.  Your Everyday card approval was strong, so I doubt you'll have any issues although your SL might (?) not be quite as generous as it was on the ED (that's just my speculation, though... you never know!)

Congratulations again on getting back in... I personally know the exact feeling, and it feels good!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 29 of 34
RaiseMyScoreASAP
Regular Contributor

I had a charge off from 1993 or 94 and was approved for a PRG card two years ago without paying off the old amount. I was surprised to be approved. Originally I applied for the Green card and that was declined. Then after I was approved for the PRG card (got a preapproval in the mail) they sent me a follow up lettier a few months that they and reconsidered giving me a Green card and the answer was still NO. I really didn't want the Green card, but I thought at the time (incorrectly that a Green card would be easier than a PRG card. 

However, I would start with a charge card. Those are PIF.

Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.