cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best No Annual Fee card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is the best No Annual Fee card?

Between Chase Freedom and Discover More, I would definitely say Chase Freedom is the better choice, especially if you're the type to carry a limited number of cards.  The two biggest advantages are wider acceptance and general 1% cashback.  The More being a Discover and only getting .25% cashback on general purchases for the first $3,000 spend means that it is always going to be a niche card, never being alone in someone's wallet, while the Freedom would still be a good choice as someone's only card.  Another thing about the Discover More is that the rewards program is a lot more complicated, atleast this year all quarters were capped at $1500, but that's not always been the case.  Also, you have .25% cashback until $3K spend, but then some stores always get .25% back and don't count towards $3K.  Also, you have bonus months and days and whatever.  To me, this just seems all too complicated, especially for a cashback card.  The Freedom always has $1500 caps and everything else is always 1% back, simple.  The Freedom can also be paired with a Chase checking for the 10/10 bonus, giving it ridiculous earning power on small purchases.  It can also be paired with a Chase Sapphire Preferred, making all those points much more valuable if travel is your thing.  Also, while the More waives forex fees, Discover doesn't have very much international acceptance, generally less than Amex.  Also, if you are a frequent travel, you are just going to want a different card anyway.

Message 31 of 95
CardinalRules
New Contributor

In my opinion, the best no AF card is the U.S. Bank Cash+ card. You get to choose two 5% categories and a 2% category each quarter, and when you accrue $100 in cashback, you get a bonus $25, so it effectively becomes a 6.25% cashback card on the bonus categories you choose. The categories aren't too bad either and include BillPay, Airlines, Restaraunts, and Department Stores. It is a Visa Signature card though and it requires a pretty good credit score.

AMEX SPG - $8k
Citi AA Visa - $6.5k
Walmart Discover - $5.5k
Citi Forward - $3.9k
Discover More - $2.5k
Wells Fargo Cash Back - $1.9k
Message 32 of 95
Anonymous
Not applicable

i say you have a chance.I got approved for a discover more card with 6000 cl today and with having 3 cc closed with balances and 3 open without balances with a tu fico of 748,eq fico 694..creditkarma 765 fako with a 25000 annual income.I about fell out of my chair when she told me how much my cl was.

Message 33 of 95
shakalaka
Established Contributor

Wow nice

Congrats

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 34 of 95
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@CardinalRules wrote:

In my opinion, the best no AF card is the U.S. Bank Cash+ card. You get to choose two 5% categories and a 2% category each quarter, and when you accrue $100 in cashback, you get a bonus $25, so it effectively becomes a 6.25% cashback card on the bonus categories you choose. The categories aren't too bad either and include BillPay, Airlines, Restaraunts, and Department Stores. It is a Visa Signature card though and it requires a pretty good credit score.

Yeah, I think that offers the best on-going rewards. Although, it does not offer an initial bonus. I have the Flexperks Signature and Select rewards cards already, and have a platinum package with US Bank. I will likely get the Cash+ soon, I might do a line swap from my college visa and/or select rewards if they don't want to approve me for the entire $5k. I am a huge fan of US Bank, but I want to deversify my cards with different banks a bit. So, I will also be looking into the HHonors card as well.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 35 of 95
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

If you're only apping for (1) card, I would get the Chase Freedom. I would wait though, when I got mine in February of this year it came with a $300 bonus for spending $500. That cards fluctuates in terms of sign-up bonuses, and $100 is the lowest I've seen it at. 

Full on Garden Mode (•‿•)
Message 36 of 95
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I couldn't wait until December like I had hoped, I gave in and apped.

Got approved for the Amex HHonors card.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 37 of 95
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

CONGRATS!!!! Applying for any other cards now that you've got the wheels moving? How much is the CL?

Message 38 of 95
Dustink
Valued Contributor

$2000 limit, but I will call for recon tomorrow.

Apped for Cash+ as well. Not instant, will call tomorrow as well. I might do some line swapping with them. I am sure we will be able to come up with something.

What should I app for now?

Message 39 of 95
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

Amex is hard about CL right after being approved. You have to wait the 61 days and then you get 3X ~ $6,000. I would apply for 1-2 Chase products. Your credit history is so similar to mine, I don't see why you would not get approved. Smiley Happy Let us know & good luck!

Message 40 of 95
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.