cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best card to use at the following retail stores for rewards?

tag
RockySC
Established Member

What is the best card to use at the following retail stores for rewards?

This is pretty straightforward - what is the best card to use at the following stores for rewards...

-Hobby Lobby

-Michael's

-Sam's Club

-Walmart

I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything here since my wife and I go to these stores quite often. As of right now we're using the Quicksilver for 1.5% back. Thanks!

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

Re: What is the best card to use at the following retail stores for rewards?

@RockySC wrote:

This is pretty straightforward - what is the best card to use at the following stores for rewards...

-Hobby Lobby

-Michael's

-Sam's Club

-Walmart

I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything here since my wife and I go to these stores quite often. As of right now we're using the Quicksilver for 1.5% back. Thanks!

You want to use a Visa at WM that classifies it as a grocery store.  I believe BofA does and I know for sure that Penfed does.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 2 of 32
RockySC
Established Member

Well we already have the BankAmericard Cash Rewards Platinum Plus Visa card - is that the one that counts Walmart as a grocery store? If so, does it work that way for everything in the entire store, even non-grocery items?

Message 3 of 32
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@RockySC wrote:

Well we already have the BankAmericard Cash Rewards Platinum Plus Visa card - is that the one that counts Walmart as a grocery store? If so, does it work that way for everything in the entire store, even non-grocery items?

The category of the establishment is determined by the Merchant Category Code, or MCC. Visa and Mastercard use the MCC for Grocery Store for Walmart. This is indpendent of the issuing bank; it's based on the Visa/MC processing network. This applies to the entire purchase made at Walmart, not the individual items. So, if your MC or Visa offers you a certain reward at grocery stores, that's what you should expect to get when shopping at Walmart.

Amex and Discover, however, do not code Walmart as a grocery store. So you would not get grocery store rewards using Amex/Discover at Walmart.

ETA: I have a BankAmericard Cash Rewards Platinum Plus Visa card, and it does count Walmart as a grocery store. Again though, this is because it runs on the Visa network, not specifically because it's from BoA. BoA simply determines the reward structure, not the MCC coding.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 4 of 32
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

We've found that our Barclay MCs classify Walmart & Target as a grocery store. My DH's current (& my old) Barclay Rewards card gives us 2% @ Walmart & Target.  My Sallie Mae card has earned 5% at Target (haven't used it at Walmart yet, but I'm pretty certain it would earn the same).  Also, each time the rewards have been applied whether we purchased groceries and/or other non-grocery items. 

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 5 of 32
RockySC
Established Member

Is there a catch to the Sallie Mae card? I see it gives 5% back on gas and groceries all the time. What is the story with this one? Do you HAVE to spend at least $250 on gas and at least $250 on groceries a month to get the 5% for it?

Message 6 of 32
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

@RockySC wrote:

Is there a catch to the Sallie Mae card? I see it gives 5% back on gas and groceries all the time. What is the story with this one?

I guess you could say that the "catch" is that its capped at $250 per month for groceries & $250 per month for gas plus up to $750 for bookstores (including Amazon).  But IMO, it's still a very valuable card with no AF. 

EDIT: It would definitely be a better card with no cap whatsoever (wishful thinking).  But if it has to have a cap, changing it to a quarterly or yearly cap (like the BCE/BCP)would make this card that much better IMO. 

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 7 of 32
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@RockySC wrote:

Is there a catch to the Sallie Mae card? I see it gives 5% back on gas and groceries all the time. What is the story with this one? Do you HAVE to spend at least $250 on gas and at least $250 on groceries a month to get the 5% for it?

It's capped at $250/gas and $250/groceries per month.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 8 of 32
RockySC
Established Member

That cap doesn't mean much to us right now since that is what we spend a month anyway, or less. So Amazon counts for 5% back as well, does that mean everything that is sold by Amazon? If so this card sounds to just about eliminate our Blue Cash Everyday and our Amazon Chase card.

Message 9 of 32
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@RockySC wrote:

That cap doesn't mean much to us right now since that is what we spend a month anyway, or less. So Amazon counts for 5% back as well, does that mean everything that is sold by Amazon? If so this card sounds to just about eliminate our Blue Cash Everyday and our Amazon Chase card.

Yes, every Amazon purchase is coded as a bookstore purchase, which is good for up to $750/month in spend.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.