cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to get in with Citi legacy cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is the best way to get in with Citi legacy cards?

OP can you please go and erase your signature?  This thread is impossible to read mobile because the broken signature takes up 90% of the screen.

Message 11 of 19
ScottsdaleDad
Contributor

Done
Message 12 of 19
ScottsdaleDad
Contributor

Ok, I'll do that. Thanks
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Phew, thanks!  My eye stopped twitching, haha.

Message 14 of 19
Cherekas
Frequent Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
My opinion is you are already making an in. Once your scores reach a sweet spot you may start receiving mailers too. I think so soon after a bk, it might not be super realistic to get a legacy card but good thing is Citi is more forgiving than say Anex. Just keep using your BB well and make good payment history. Youll get thereSmiley Happy

So am I suddenly receiving pre-approvals from Citi because they have my Macy's account? I was wondering this a few weeks ago. 

Score: F8 EQ 609, EX 597, TU 614 (1/17) Current Score: F8 EQ 701, EX 714, TU 689 (12/18)

Goal Score: 700+ across all 3--Gardening until May 2019
USAA Amex-USAA Rate Advantage VS- Amex Gold- Amex Delta Blue- Macys- NYC CC- Victoria's Secret- Cap 1 QS- NFCU CR- Care Credit- Firestone- Sams Club CC- Best Buy Visa- Paypal 2% MC

Total CL $96,300
Message 15 of 19
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

@ScottsdaleDad wrote:
I have a chapter 7 bankruptcy on my CR filed in 12/15 and discharged in 5/16. Citi approved me for a Best Buy Visa in 11/17, but I know that's on their retail side. I'm trying to get a Costco Visa at some point. Is it better to just maintain an excellent history on the Best Buy Visa as a way in on the legacy side, or would the Citi Secured Mastercard be a better way in?

I’m trying to hopefully get back in with them (IIB) next month 02/2018 (7Yrs-1Mo post BK7 d/c) and here’s my DP about Citi that I’ve gathered the past 2 years from twice applying for their legacy cards with recons as well with their EO. These DPs have been conveyed to me by their EO during our lengthy conversations (Unless they changed their policy in the last 19 months then should still be valid) ;

• They require 3-years post BK for their Secured cards with hp and subject to their approval. They will review your secured account no earlier than 18 months for graduation to unsecure.

• Citi retail has No direct influence on their
legacy side’s decision other than just a regular acct like all the other on your CRs.

• Your EX and EQ must be at least in the low 700s with well established accounts. Be prepared for a double pull.

• Although they did not admit to me directly but I’m guessing it’s because they’re IIB (included in BK), 7 years post bk is the earliest they will consider me (burned them for quite an embarrassing and hefty sum!) Smiley Sad According to them back then if my profile remains unchanged or gets better then I shouldn’t have any problem getting approval from them after the 7 yr mark. They even approved and offered me with same hp for their secured card but I just turned them down as it was too late in my rebuild for a secured card.

My advise on your situation?
Best way will be to app for a legacy card 3yr-1mo post BK and if declined, recon. When all else fails on the recon then ask for a secured card with the same hp. Then 12 months later app for a legacy card. If you still get denied then at least you have a secured card that can graduate in 6 months from that time. If you get approved then you’ll have a legacy card on top of the secured that can be PC’d to another legacy card.

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 16 of 19
ScottsdaleDad
Contributor

This is great information. I just need to be patient and continue gardening and try after 3 years.
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

@ScottsdaleDad wrote:
Ok. I was wondering if BB would get me in on the legacy side just as good as the secured card. If so, I'll just keep building the relationship and give it some time before applying for a Costco card. Thanks for the advice.

No it wont. As stated before, there are TWO sides to Citibank...retail and Legacy, and they dont talk to one another. The retail side is easy to get in with, and Legacy not so much. Legacy side is any of "their" own cards on their main website....DC, Costco, etc..The minimum Ive seen with someone with a BK7 get in with them is  4yrs on legacy side.

Ive been in nicely with them for a  few years now with several retail cards including their secured Diamond card (which I decided to close),  but legacy side is a challenge. Your best bet right now would be to apply for their secured card, and it should graduate in 18 months into the Diamond Preferred, whhich is legacy. 

Hey Pizza/OP, it is possible to get a Costco card less than 4 yrs post Bk7. Hubby's BK7 d/c was 7/14 and Citi was IIB. App'd for the Costco card in Oct of 16' and got an instant approval for $5.5K, which was a little over 2 years.  Since his approval, he has attempted a few CLI's and they have been instant denials. Verbiage - denials directly related to BK on file. Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 19
marty56
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I CO'd Citibank a decade ago and have just started receiving mailers with some pretty firm looking offers once I crossed over 700 on all 3.  Got a very nice Citi DC offer in January and something else in December.  None of them are tempting me out of the garden, but it's good to see them poking at me again after so many years.

Say what? You're in the garden Smiley Wink WOW!!! Let's put together a capital venture acquistion and acquire a piece of Citi so you can be issued one of their legacy cards! Just trying to be helpful Smiley Happy Or ... not.

My former employer used Citi as a travel card so I guess both would qualify as being a non-gardenable aquisition.  LOL you know you need an intervention when you change jobs just to get a new CC. 

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.