cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the true value of Membership Reward Points? How do you guys maximize it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the true value of Membership Reward Points? How do you guys maximize it?

I got the Amex gold recently and it had a 50k MR sign up bonus. I intend to use it on 4x dining but apparently the points are worth a lot less when redeemed for cash/amazon. 

Whats the best way to maximize the points? I'd like to at least get 1:1 ratio on it. The only way I saw online was by travel, but I don't fly often. 

Message 1 of 54
53 REPLIES 53
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

Re: What is the true value of Membership Reward Points? How do you guys maximize it?

Flying for me, that's kind of the reason I chose the card. I just transfer them to my skymiles.
Others use them when paying for hotels or getting upgrades.
Cash value is not great, I've never looked at Amazon I have a different approach with another card I use for shopping there.
Plenty of guys on here use MR's I am sure they will all jump in soon with advice and suggestions.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 2 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is the true value of Membership Reward Points? How do you guys maximize it?

Transfer to airline partner and fly economy 1.2 to 1.7cpp.
Transfer to airline partner and fly business international, or wait for airline flash sale, 2+ ccp
Gift card, 0.6 to 1 cpp
Cash redemption 0.6 cpp
Message 3 of 54
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Travel is the best use of MR points when redeeming them. As you discovered using them for other means like cash redemption and Amazon only give you like 60% of its value I believe. If you're not much of a traveler, business or otherwise, you're probably better off with a card like the Savor or Uber card which can give you 4% cashback on dining. The Savor also comes with the $500 SUB for $3k spend last time I checked which sounds like it fits a lot better for your needs.

Message 4 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

How would I do the transfer to an airline partner?

Message 5 of 54
DU556
Regular Contributor

I got my first amex card with MR points to use at Amazon. When i realized they were only worth 0.7 at checkout,i pretty much stopped using it. I applied for the chase Amazon card which at least offered 1c value.
Only reason why i still keep the Amex is because recently they've kept bringing good deals on Amazon if you pay with points.
Yesterday they had $30 off a purchase of $60 or more if you paid with even $0.05 in MR points.
Message 6 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

First you need to have an account with airline, then log in to Amex, goto membership reward, click transfer.

Only transfer when you are ready to purchase ticket. Don't transfer before you have done search and ready for purchase.

Know you can transfer to one airline then book ticket through that airline but fly on its alliance airline flight. E. G., you can transfer to British airline then book ticket for AA flights (limitation applies) .
Message 7 of 54
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
First you need to have an account with airline, then log in to Amex, goto membership reward, click transfer.

Only transfer when you are ready to purchase ticket. Don't transfer before you have done search and ready for purchase.

Know you can transfer to one airline then book ticket through that airline but fly on its alliance airline flight. E. G., you can transfer to British airline then book ticket for AA flights (limitation applies) .

OP does not fly often. That much is clear.

However, if OP consistently flies one airline (whenever he or she actually does fly), then converting points to miles during a transfer promo may possibly make sense.

If OP is not loyal to any particular airline or alliance, then it's best to wait to transfer them.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 54
budugu
Regular Contributor

if you dont fly then the true value is 0.7. Other options are get Morgan Stanley CC or schwab plat card and transfer points to brokerage account (neither is without effort) to get 1 to 1.25c . I have pretty much used MR for JetBlue transfers (1.4-1.5) or if i find a cheap delta flight for 1.1 or 1.2. 

amex - plat + bcp, Apple Card, Citi Prestige (AU)
Message 9 of 54
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I got the Amex gold recently and it had a 50k MR sign up bonus. I intend to use it on 4x dining but apparently the points are worth a lot less when redeemed for cash/amazon. 

Whats the best way to maximize the points? I'd like to at least get 1:1 ratio on it. The only way I saw online was by travel, but I don't fly often. 

Unfortunately, if you don't travel, it probably isn't the best fit. You should just go for one of the several dining cash back cards i.e. Uber, Savor, Costco, etc. MR points really only get 1:1 for travel transfers and a limited selection of gift cards. Anything else is less than that, meaning your 4x dining would really be more like 2x or 3x when you actually redeem.

MR points are really designed and best for travel redemptions. Since you already got the card, maybe save up the points for a future trip? You do have the AF to factor in though. All in all if you just want a dining card and don't do much traveling I think a cash back card would be better and not cost you anything (or at least, a lower AF in the case of the Savor).

At least you got 50k points so at the worst, they are going to be worth ~$250 or so and you can decide what to do from there. To me sounds like it isn't a great fit for you though.

Message 10 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.