cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the true value of Membership Reward Points? How do you guys maximize it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is the true value of Membership Reward Points? How do you guys maximize it?

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
First you need to have an account with airline, then log in to Amex, goto membership reward, click transfer.

Only transfer when you are ready to purchase ticket. Don't transfer before you have done search and ready for purchase.

Know you can transfer to one airline then book ticket through that airline but fly on its alliance airline flight. E. G., you can transfer to British airline then book ticket for AA flights (limitation applies) .

OP does not fly often. That much is clear.

However, if OP consistently flies one airline (whenever he or she actually does fly), then converting points to miles during a transfer promo may possibly make sense.

If OP is not loyal to any particular airline or alliance, then it's best to wait to transfer them.

true, if there is any chance to boost the value to above 1.5cpp with bonus transfer, do it.

Message 11 of 54
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What is the true value of Membership Reward Points? How do you guys maximize it?

I stack my MR points and usually transfer them over to Marriott (Delta on a very, very rare occasion).   Like others have mentioned MR point shine the most when traveling.  In my opinion, even though travel is where MR carry most of its weight, I can't find any good reason to use them for domestic flights.  

With so much competition in the domestic airspace, you can find flights really cheap to just about anywhere in the US as long as you're not doing last minute bookings.  

Message 12 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Loquat wrote:

I stack my MR points and usually transfer them over to Marriott (Delta on a very, very rare occasion).   Like others have mentioned MR point shine the most when traveling.  In my opinion, even though travel is where MR carry most of its weight, I can't find any good reason to use them for domestic flights.  

With so much competition in the domestic airspace, you can find flights really cheap to just about anywhere in the US as long as you're not doing last minute bookings.  

cheap flight between hubs maybe, lol. For many non-hub airports, there is no competition.

but yes, if you book all the domestic flight, better use CSR UR portal or Wells fargo travel for a reliable excellent value.

Message 13 of 54
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Unfortunately, a fairly common experience here, leading to the unwanted but necessary PSA:

Before applying for a card, understand what you are getting!

For reward cards, apart from fees and rules you need to understand:

1) earning structure.   How do you earn points/miles/etc?   This bit is relatively clear to most people, e.g. 4MR at dining places.   Still sometimes needs a little more investigation: is it restricted to the US (usually for Amex)?  Do all my category stores count (e.g. will store X count as a grocery?  Sometimes an issue, particularly for Amex)

2) redeeming structure.   How do I turn the things I have earned into what I want and what will I get?    This is where people get tripped up, having been excited by 4x, 5x etc in part 1.   While the biggest learning curve is on travel cards such as those in the MR/UR/TYP eco-system,  we've seen issues even on cashback cards where an issuer give FOUR POINTS per $!!!! but then people find that the points are only worth 0.25cents each.

Message 14 of 54
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Unfortunately, a fairly common experience here, leading to the unwanted but necessary PSA:

1) earning structure.   How do you earn points/miles/etc?   This bit is relatively clear to most people, e.g. 4MR at dining places.   Still sometimes needs a little more investigation: is it restricted to the US (usually for Amex)?  Do all my category stores count (e.g. will store X count as a grocery?  Sometimes an issue, particularly for Amex)

2) redeeming structure.   How do I turn the things I have earned into what I want and what will I get?    This is where people get tripped up, having been excited by 4x, 5x etc in part 1.   While the biggest learning curve is on travel cards such as those in the MR/UR/TYP eco-system,  we've seen issues even on cashback cards where an issuer give FOUR POINTS per $!!!! but then people find that the points are only worth 0.25cents each.

This exactly. 4x does not always (or not nearly always!) mean 4%. You have to really do your research ahead of time.

Message 15 of 54
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

This exactly. 4x does not always (or not nearly always!) mean 4%. You have to really do your research ahead of time.

I agree with both KDM and LTL...you MUST look BEFORE you leap; it'll save you a lot of heartburn in the process.  And to add to it, even though MR points are at their highest worth usually when traveling international, please know that it still takes A LOT of MR points to bump to business/first class and even more if you're trying to book business/first class with points alone.

Message 16 of 54
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

And as someone who occasionally does have to book at the last minute...

I Heart +40% Avios.

(No $75 close-in award fee for AA metal.)

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 17 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Loquat wrote:

I agree with both KDM and LTL...you MUST look BEFORE you leap; it'll save you a lot of heartburn in the process.  And to add to it, even though MR points are at their highest worth usually when traveling international, please know that it still takes A LOT of MR points to bump to business/first class and even more if you're trying to book business/first class with points alone.

very good point. Even if its 10ccp, spending 200+k MR for an international business class doesn't necessary mean its cheap if the ticket can be had for 500 on economy. Different prospectives/need/consideration.

Message 18 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

And as someone who occasionally does have to book at the last minute...

I Heart +40% Avios.

(No $75 close-in award fee for AA metal.)

how often does this happen? im still waiting.

Message 19 of 54
redpat
Senior Contributor

For me a lot, but OP they won’t have much value for you it appears.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 20 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.