cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the ultimate trophy card for the average every-day person?

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: What is the ultimate trophy card for the average every-day person?

Chase CSP, for the prestige. Rewards and card design as well.

American Express PRG / Platinum / Blue Cash Preferred / Blue Sky Preferred, only because it's American Express. For the prestige I guess. Rewards are okay...

Discover? Seems relatively easy to get, but I have heard wonderful stories about their customer service. Always nice to work with a company that values customer. Rewards are okay too.

Citi Thank You Premium, and Citi Prestige. Just seems to be their "better few" cards. Also for the prestige, I guess. Not too sure about their rewards system.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 41 of 113
drkaje
Senior Contributor

creditscholar is correct but probably didn't say it the right way. Smiley Happy

For people with a solid, long, history of credit management none of the aforementioned cards are hard to get.

Even people with average credit and decent scores can get most cards.

There are hugely emotional component to spending, credit-seeking, home purchases, and other financial aspects of our lives.

Personally; getting the BCP pretty much felt like my credit repair journey was complete. That being said, I really don't want to be emotionally tied to a piece of plastic and how well a bank loves me. I learned to manage credit and finances better. Time let the past mistakes fall off.

One of the biggest changes, in me, was understanding: Banks approve behavior and credit profiles, not people. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 42 of 113
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

Had a trophy moment with my Amex Plat card yesterday. My kids nanny accidentally locked her keys in the car after taking my son to a large city park. After I got there, I asked if she'd called a tow truck yet and when she said no, I whipped out the Plat card, called Amex roadside assistance, and then left to pick up my other kid, handing my shiny Plat card to my nanny (a 20 yr old college student) "in case the tow truck company needed it". It was nice to be able to solve that problem without any additional cost to anyone.

The Penfed PRV card is only a prestige card around credit card forums since no one else on first glance understands how hard the card is to get.
Message 43 of 113
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

Chase Sapphire or any AMEX Revolver is my opinion.

+1

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 44 of 113
Open123
Super Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

creditscholar is correct but probably didn't say it the right way. Smiley Happy

LOL...Creditscholar's analysis is top notch, as always.  These cards aren't difficult to get, unless there are some negatives, which are sometimes unavoidable in life.  

One of the biggest changes, in me, was understanding: Banks approve behavior and credit profiles, not people. Smiley Happy

- Right, their decisions aren't personal, but based on a set of clearly defined parameters, especially Citi.  While it's human nature to take a rejection on a personal level, for one's own sanity, it's far easier to try not let it affect you.  Keep app'ing once every 3 months (not daily) for that coveted card, and in time the approval will follow.

The last thing we want are for decisions made on "personal" judgement, which will lead to all kinds of unfair decisions.  This is the same reason Visa/MC/Amex do not allow (Visa/MC actually spells it out) for the checking of IDs in their T&Cs.  If there is an issue, they will decline the charge, rather than letting mininum wage employees (not disparaging minimum wage) with very little experience in life making judgements on declining a charge.

Last year, during travel, I had lost my wallet and belongings (or, it was stolen).  Amex overnighted me the card.  Imagine if "ID" were required, how would I check into a hotel? Buy another ticket to return home? Or, what would I do during the 4 weeks to replace my ID?  Imagine trying to buy a prepaid cellphone at Best Buy only to be rejected because I didn't have ID?  

So, while it has it's faults, in the end, computer approval process may be the best, even with all of it's shortcomings.  I think Chase does it the best with recon followed by the computer process.  Citi the most inflexibile, where not even a credit analysis can override a computer rejection.

In my opinion, I think the normal everyday person's "trophy" cards would be from Amex, Chase, US Bank and/or Citi.  Not that there aren't other viable options or more difficult cards out there to get, but no one out there really offers anything "better" for the value than options offered by them.

Message 45 of 113
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Everyone is looking at this all wrong.

The ultimate trophy card is a co-branded card.  

Needs a high limit or NPSL like a Visa Signature.

This way you can use for all your purchases and build up lot of rewards points.

The store part of the card has to be one where you like to shop for your discretionay spending or hobbies.

The rewards of course are set up to only buy things from that store.

This is espcially useful when spouse asks:

How much did you spend on that? 

Answer:   Nothing, got it with my rewards.

For me, It is REI Visa Signature.

Others might prefer

Nordstrom Signature VISA

Saks Fifth Avenue World MC

Mercedes Benz AMEX

Nordstrom Visa Signature.

Harley Davidson Signature VISA

Travelocity AMEX

Message 46 of 113
Chrysostom
New Contributor

@TyLey wrote:

@CreditScholar

Let's be real. Anyone with less than a good credit can't get those cards and that many people. Alot of people are either in debt, don't have the knowledge about credit or just don't know how to handled credit hence this forum. I had tried for the AMEX 3x times before I received it and I had good to great credit for over 2 years straight. Very few have 800 credit like you. Smiley Frustrated

Whether or not you're in the 800 club, 50% or 60% of Americans can qualify for all of the aforementioned cards - essentially, as long as you have 2 years credit history (bendable), no more than 1 30 day late in the past two years (and even this "rule" can be bent), under eight to ten inquiries (again, bendable), and utilization under about 40% (pretty much the most unbendable rule there is).

Goal: 760 by End of Year
Current Score: 714 TU (2-3/12); 681 EQ (2-3/12); 714 EX (AmEx Pull: 2-7/12); 777 VantageScore (2-3/12)
AmEx BCE ($4k) - AmEx SPG ($7.5k) - Amex PRG (NPSL) - Citi Forward ($7.6k) - Discover IT ($3k) - BankAmericard Cash Rewards ($5k)
Chase Freedom ($1k) - Chase Amazon ($3k) - PayPal Extras ($6k) - Cap One Cash ($0.5k) - Amazon Store ($2.5k)

Application-Free Since the 14th of the Second May of 2012.
Message 47 of 113
Chrysostom
New Contributor

@RhubarbPie wrote:

I don't know if I'd call them 'trophy' cards, but pretty much any card that allows me to sit at the front of the plane, is a card that I want to have (right now, that is primarily CSP, Delta AMEX Plat, and AMEX PRG...if the sign up bonus goes on on the Freedom, I will add that as well).

Is the 50k offer for the CSP or the 30k offer for the Freedom back? PRG had a 50k offer a few weeks ago (100k for the Plat). I'm not sure if they had a 75k offer, there was some noise on the internet about it, though. The British Airways, Citi AAdvantage and Southwest RR are offering decent bonuses right now (100k, 50k, 50k), or at least they were a few weeks ago, and I think the SPG is still offering 30k (30k SPG = 50k+ of any other points).

You notice I leave Delta out of my post. Sky Miles aren't worth the bits they display on your computer screen. Kind of like ThankYou Points. 92k TYP for a domestic economy RT....

Goal: 760 by End of Year
Current Score: 714 TU (2-3/12); 681 EQ (2-3/12); 714 EX (AmEx Pull: 2-7/12); 777 VantageScore (2-3/12)
AmEx BCE ($4k) - AmEx SPG ($7.5k) - Amex PRG (NPSL) - Citi Forward ($7.6k) - Discover IT ($3k) - BankAmericard Cash Rewards ($5k)
Chase Freedom ($1k) - Chase Amazon ($3k) - PayPal Extras ($6k) - Cap One Cash ($0.5k) - Amazon Store ($2.5k)

Application-Free Since the 14th of the Second May of 2012.
Message 48 of 113
Smug
Established Contributor

NFCU!!!!!
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 49 of 113
omgitsphilly
New Contributor

mine where.

Chase Freedom ( Got it )

American Express Green ( Got it )

Discover it ( Got it )

Now i dont know, IM going to garden..... for a full year. I dont know what i really want after that. 

Message 50 of 113
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.