cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the ultimate trophy card for the average every-day person?

tag
RhubarbPie
New Contributor

Re: What is the ultimate trophy card for the average every-day person?

@Chrysostom wrote:

@RhubarbPie wrote:

I don't know if I'd call them 'trophy' cards, but pretty much any card that allows me to sit at the front of the plane, is a card that I want to have (right now, that is primarily CSP, Delta AMEX Plat, and AMEX PRG...if the sign up bonus goes on on the Freedom, I will add that as well).

Is the 50k offer for the CSP or the 30k offer for the Freedom back? PRG had a 50k offer a few weeks ago (100k for the Plat). I'm not sure if they had a 75k offer, there was some noise on the internet about it, though. The British Airways, Citi AAdvantage and Southwest RR are offering decent bonuses right now (100k, 50k, 50k), or at least they were a few weeks ago, and I think the SPG is still offering 30k (30k SPG = 50k+ of any other points).

You notice I leave Delta out of my post. Sky Miles aren't worth the bits they display on your computer screen. Kind of like ThankYou Points. 92k TYP for a domestic economy RT....

Neither the 50K CSP or 30K Freedom are back (although some people have mentioned receiving a targeted 20K offer for the Freedom). I am waiting for at least 20K Freedom before applying. However the Ink Bold and Ink Plus are still at 50K (and you don't technically need to have a business, per se, to get those cards...).

My husband and I both got the 50K PRG but I believe it is officially dead now. The other cards that you mentioned are still offering those same signup bonuses. Although, in order to receive the full 100K BA bonus, you'd need to spend 1K in 3 months (that gets you 50K Avios, which is a decent signup bonus on its own), and then an additional 20K within the year for the other 50K Avios.

With Delta, its true that SkyMiles are continually devalued. I would probably never redeem SkyMiles for a domestic flight in economy. Its just not the best use of miles. However, if you know how to look for low international award flights in business/first, you can still find them (and redeeming for premium cabins on international flights is def going to be the best use of your miles). You won't be able to find them by just entering your round trip itinerary and pressing search. Its frustrating that Delta makes it so difficult to search for low awards on their website, but they're there and it is possible to find them (there is a good tutorial somewhere on the interwebz...there is also a long post on FlyerTalk about finding low award flights on delta).

Message 51 of 113
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

Everyone is looking at this all wrong.

The ultimate trophy card is a co-branded card.  

Needs a high limit or NPSL like a Visa Signature.

This way you can use for all your purchases and build up lot of rewards points.

The store part of the card has to be one where you like to shop for your discretionay spending or hobbies.

The rewards of course are set up to only buy things from that store.

This is espcially useful when spouse asks:

How much did you spend on that? 

Answer:   Nothing, got it with my rewards.

For me, It is REI Visa Signature.

Others might prefer

Nordstrom Signature VISA

Saks Fifth Avenue World MC

Mercedes Benz AMEX

Nordstrom Visa Signature.

Harley Davidson Signature VISA

Travelocity AMEX

This is a bold proclamation, my friend. I don't see any card as a trophy. Trophies are meant to sit on the mantle and look nice -- to show others what you have accomplished. Now, having said that, I felt like my credit repair was successful when I got an Amex and a Freedom. Do I want other cards? Sure, but none for the sole reason of showing people. Each of my cards has a specific purpose, and this will continue -- the purpose never being to be a trophy. 

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 52 of 113
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@Swapmeet wrote:

@Wolf3 wrote:

The store part of the card has to be one where you like to shop for your discretionay spending or hobbies.

Others might prefer

Nordstrom Signature VISA

Mercedes Benz AMEX

Travelocity AMEX

This is a bold proclamation, my friend. I don't see any card as a trophy. Trophies are meant to sit on the mantle and look nice -- to show others what you have accomplished. Now, having said that, I felt like my credit repair was successful when I got an Amex and a Freedom. Do I want other cards? Sure, but none for the sole reason of showing people. Each of my cards has a specific purpose, and this will continue -- the purpose never being to be a trophy. 

True that. Everyday people don't have trophy cars (Maserati Gran Turismo C Sport anyone?) and they don't have trophy cards. We use them for benefit or rewards. If someone else views them as "fancy pants" plastic so be it. All my cards are tools. 

Message 53 of 113
RhubarbPie
New Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

Others might prefer

Nordstrom Signature VISA

Mercedes Benz AMEX

Travelocity AMEX

I can tell you that none of the cards that you listed, with the exception of the Mercedes Benz Amex - but only if it were the platinum version which accrues MR points - would be of any interest to me. I don't care about using points for gloves or boots at REI - thats not something that has value to me. Paying for first class tickets with points/miles is what is important to me. Your statement definitely doesn't apply to lots of people.

Message 54 of 113
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

Just for the record, a trophy is also symbolic of accomplishment. A trophy is something you can look at as a reminder of all your hard work and may also inspire you to continue in a similar manner, because you have a constant reminder that your plan of action worked for the best.  That's just how I see it. Smiley Happy

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 55 of 113
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I think limits have a lot to do in leading to a "trophy" card.

Pretty much every card mentioned so far can be easily obtained. I am only 21 have an income around $50k and have a sort history. For a card to be a "trophy" card, it should be out of reach to me. I think CreditScholar said it perfectly.

The cards would be a lot more of a "trophy" if they carried a harder to obtain limit like $50k. So, to me a "trophy" card would be something like a CSP or BCP with a $50k limit, not one with a 4 digit limit.

A AMEX charge card that declines a small charge of like $5k is not a "trophy" card. One that you can go out an charge a 6 figure car would be.

An average person can build relations with banks to get to these limits and NPS capabilities. It just takes time, great credit, and decent income combined with structured saving/investing. 

But then again, it comes down to who you are. If a card does what you need it to do. Be content and call it your "trophy".

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 56 of 113
RhubarbPie
New Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

Pretty much every card mentioned so far can be easily obtained. I am only 21 have an income around $50k and have a sort history. For a card to be a "trophy" card, it should be out of reach to me. I think @CreditScholar said it perfectly.

The cards would be a lot more of a "trophy" if they carried a harder to obtain limit like $50k. So, to me a "trophy" card would be something like a CSP or BCP with a $50k limit, not one with a 4 digit limit.

A AMEX charge card that declines a small charge of like $5k is not a "trophy" card. One that you can go out an charge a 6 figure car would be.

An average person can build relations with banks to get to these limits and NPS capabilities. It just takes time, great credit, and decent income combined with structured saving/investing. 

But then again, it comes down to who you are. If a card does what you need it to do. Be content and call it your "trophy".

Generally speaking, you can't pay for a car with a credit card. When we bought our BMW, they let us put $5000 or so on a card. The remainder we had to pay via bank check. This is the experience of most people we know, the policy of most luxury car dealerships, and I'd assume most dealerships in general. You'll have to find a different 6 figure charge as the initiation for your 'trophy card'!

Message 57 of 113
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@RhubarbPie wrote:

@Wolf3 wrote:

Others might prefer

Nordstrom Signature VISA

Mercedes Benz AMEX

Travelocity AMEX

I can tell you that none of the cards that you listed, with the exception of the Mercedes Benz Amex - but only if it were the platinum version which accrues MR points - would be of any interest to me. I don't care about using points for gloves or boots at REI - thats not something that has value to me. Paying for first class tickets with points/miles is what is important to me. Your statement definitely doesn't apply to lots of people.

I think you just made my point that CC that offer perks or rewards for things you want are your trophy cards.   For you cards that get you first class tickets are your trophy cards.

Message 58 of 113
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@Chrysostom wrote:

@RhubarbPie wrote:

I don't know if I'd call them 'trophy' cards, but pretty much any card that allows me to sit at the front of the plane, is a card that I want to have (right now, that is primarily CSP, Delta AMEX Plat, and AMEX PRG...if the sign up bonus goes on on the Freedom, I will add that as well).

Is the 50k offer for the CSP or the 30k offer for the Freedom back? PRG had a 50k offer a few weeks ago (100k for the Plat). I'm not sure if they had a 75k offer, there was some noise on the internet about it, though. The British Airways, Citi AAdvantage and Southwest RR are offering decent bonuses right now (100k, 50k, 50k), or at least they were a few weeks ago, and I think the SPG is still offering 30k (30k SPG = 50k+ of any other points).

You notice I leave Delta out of my post. Sky Miles aren't worth the bits they display on your computer screen. Kind of like ThankYou Points. 92k TYP for a domestic economy RT....

I've always got 3.5 - 4 cents per out of my skymiles, it's typicall ymmv but they can be valuable if used properly.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 59 of 113
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

@RhubarbPie wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

Pretty much every card mentioned so far can be easily obtained. I am only 21 have an income around $50k and have a sort history. For a card to be a "trophy" card, it should be out of reach to me. I think @CreditScholar said it perfectly.

Generally speaking, you can't pay for a car with a credit card. When we bought our BMW, they let us put $5000 or so on a card. The remainder we had to pay via bank check. This is the experience of most people we know, the policy of most luxury car dealerships, and I'd assume most dealerships in general. You'll have to find a different 6 figure charge as the initiation for your 'trophy card'!

Real experience always triumphs lol.

Message 60 of 113
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.