cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the ultimate trophy card for the average every-day person?

tag
TyLey

Re: What is the ultimate trophy card for the average every-day person?

Thank you Rhubarb. I'm glad you stated the facts.

It upset me how people think they know it all and then try to make others feel like what they have is not good enough. This is why I try to stay off this forum. I love my AMEX Premier Gold and its definitely my trophy card but  would have went for the Platinum.

Starting Score: 591 (2/09)
Current Score: EX 730 EQ 704 TU 701 CK 731 CS 745 (updated 3/13)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge In the Garden since 3/14/2013
Message 61 of 113
BlueNightStar
Regular Contributor

@TyLey wrote:

Thank you Rhubarb. I'm glad you stated the facts.

It upset me how people think they know it all and then try to make others feel like what they have is not good enough. This is why I try to stay off this forum. I love my AMEX Premier Gold and its definitely my trophy card but  would have went for the Platinum.

It bothers me too and there are many know it alls all over the internet. There are also rare gems of people who truly care for everyone else's successes and would never criticize or judge. I tend to ignore the braggers and posers and concentrate on the real people who have so much wonderful advice to offer.

Message 62 of 113
distantarray
Established Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

I've always got 3.5 - 4 cents per out of my skymiles, it's typicall ymmv but they can be valuable if used properly.

I have NO Idea how your pulling that kinda miracle off, but if you are then do this for a lot of Skymiles

@Bigcrumbs -> Amex gift cards $3,000 @1.4% cash rebate -> williamspaid to pay your rent or mortgage @ 2.9% + get 500 delta skymiles for every time you pay your mortgage with williamspaid promo is going on.

Your paying 1.5% per delta skymile + 500 bonus miles each month.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 63 of 113
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Swapmeet wrote:

@Wolf3 wrote:

Everyone is looking at this all wrong.

The ultimate trophy card is a co-branded card.  

Needs a high limit or NPSL like a Visa Signature.

This way you can use for all your purchases and build up lot of rewards points.

The store part of the card has to be one where you like to shop for your discretionay spending or hobbies.

The rewards of course are set up to only buy things from that store.

This is espcially useful when spouse asks:

How much did you spend on that? 

Answer:   Nothing, got it with my rewards.

For me, It is REI Visa Signature.

Others might prefer

Nordstrom Signature VISA

Saks Fifth Avenue World MC

Mercedes Benz AMEX

Nordstrom Visa Signature.

Harley Davidson Signature VISA

Travelocity AMEX

This is a bold proclamation, my friend. I don't see any card as a trophy. Trophies are meant to sit on the mantle and look nice -- to show others what you have accomplished. Now, having said that, I felt like my credit repair was successful when I got an Amex and a Freedom. Do I want other cards? Sure, but none for the sole reason of showing people. Each of my cards has a specific purpose, and this will continue -- the purpose never being to be a trophy. 

The whole concept of a CC as a trophy is very odd anyway.   I don't think the average joe would ever consider a CC a trophy.    But credit is a hobby for many here, so if that is your hobby, having trophy credit cards follows..  

But for me, credit is just part of fininacial well being, not a hobby.   So the closest I can come to consider any CC a trophy is one whose rewards involve my interests and hobbies.      Other than the cashier, I don't show anyone my CC.

Message 64 of 113
MrCredit
Established Contributor

My trophy card was the Fidelity Investments Amex which pays 2% on all purchases. I LOVE this card and they want a 720 or better for approval. Good luck.

Message 65 of 113
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@RhubarbPie wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

I think limits have a lot to do in leading to a "trophy" card.

Pretty much every card mentioned so far can be easily obtained. I am only 21 have an income around $50k and have a sort history. For a card to be a "trophy" card, it should be out of reach to me. I think @CreditScholar said it perfectly.

The cards would be a lot more of a "trophy" if they carried a harder to obtain limit like $50k. So, to me a "trophy" card would be something like a CSP or BCP with a $50k limit, not one with a 4 digit limit.

A AMEX charge card that declines a small charge of like $5k is not a "trophy" card. One that you can go out an charge a 6 figure car would be.

An average person can build relations with banks to get to these limits and NPS capabilities. It just takes time, great credit, and decent income combined with structured saving/investing. 

But then again, it comes down to who you are. If a card does what you need it to do. Be content and call it your "trophy".

Generally speaking, you can't pay for a car with a credit card. When we bought our BMW, they let us put $5000 or so on a card. The remainder we had to pay via bank check. This is the experience of most people we know, the policy of most luxury car dealerships, and I'd assume most dealerships in general. You'll have to find a different 6 figure charge as the initiation for your 'trophy card'!

Haha it was figurative, but yes they will let you charge the car. Just offer to pay whatever fee they get charged. When I was car shopping, I brought it up. They said no until I offered to pay an extra 3%, then they were cool with it.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 66 of 113
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

Pretty much every card mentioned so far can be easily obtained. I am only 21 have an income around $50k and have a sort history. For a card to be a "trophy" card, it should be out of reach to me. I think @CreditScholar said it perfectly.

The cards would be a lot more of a "trophy" if they carried a harder to obtain limit like $50k. So, to me a "trophy" card would be something like a CSP or BCP with a $50k limit, not one with a 4 digit limit.

A AMEX charge card that declines a small charge of like $5k is not a "trophy" card. One that you can go out an charge a 6 figure car would be.

An average person can build relations with banks to get to these limits and NPS capabilities. It just takes time, great credit, and decent income combined with structured saving/investing. 

But then again, it comes down to who you are. If a card does what you need it to do. Be content and call it your "trophy".

Ha! I guess I have a trophy card - almost. My stupid Bank of America generic Visa has a $46,000 limit. I earned it the hard way years and years ago. It was much higher at one point but the credit crunch fixed it for me. It's in my sock drawer (or someplace else but not in my wallet). For the record I can't think of a single bank I dislike more than B of A. Talk about irony. 

Message 67 of 113
RhubarbPie
New Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@RhubarbPie wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

Generally speaking, you can't pay for a car with a credit card. When we bought our BMW, they let us put $5000 or so on a card. The remainder we had to pay via bank check. This is the experience of most people we know, the policy of most luxury car dealerships, and I'd assume most dealerships in general. You'll have to find a different 6 figure charge as the initiation for your 'trophy card'!

Haha it was figurative, but yes they will let you charge the car. Just offer to pay whatever fee they get charged. When I was car shopping, I brought it up. They said no until I offered to pay an extra 3%, then they were cool with it.

This is rare for a number of reasons, beyond the fees that the merchant will pay to the card company. Generally speaking, its more complicated than just saying I'll pay a little extra. Seems like you got lucky

Out of sheer curiosity, was this an actual dealership (i.e. Mercedes, BMW, or any other actual car dealership) or was it a used car lot/business?

Message 68 of 113
Henchman21
Frequent Contributor

Which cards get you first class seats??

I'm looking forward to Chase United Explorer, from my perspective, it's a winner.
2/16/13 Scores EX: 594, TU:513, EQ:563 -- Cap One Secured: $200, Kay's: $400

GOAL #1: 625 -- CHECK!

3/31/15 Scores TU: 621 -- Cap One Secured: $750, Kay's: $900, CareCredit: $1000, Aerie $350, Fingerhut $1350

Goal #2: A travel card. REC ME!
Message 69 of 113
RhubarbPie
New Contributor

@Henchman21 wrote:
Which cards get you first class seats??

I'm looking forward to Chase United Explorer, from my perspective, it's a winner.

Its not the card that gets you flights in premium cabins - its the way you redeem points and miles earned on the card (from signup bonuses, and spend). The cards that are priorities for me are cards that yield many miles and points (primarily via signup bonuses), which can then be redeemed (or transferred and then redeemed) for travel (primarily international - I don't waste miles for 2 hours in first class on a domestic flight) in premium cabins.

Message 70 of 113
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.