Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is up with Capital One ...?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why is up with Capital One ...?

I got my Cap 1 Platinum MC with a 1000 CL in April. I have made three payments on it. PIFed every month. I just got off the phone with them and they gave me a 500 CLI. Now, I hope that on my 4th statement the additional 500 for the credit steps program will kick in.

I dont know if this is going to help in figuring Cap 1 out, but it does make me feel better. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 21
voidman
Established Contributor

This is another strange behavior of Cap1. I was going to do what you did, but they gave me the Auto CLI when my **3rd statement cut**. So when I called Cap1 they denied it saying that I already got one.
-void
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

voidman wrote:
This is another strange behavior of Cap1. I was going to do what you did, but they gave me the Auto CLI when my **3rd statement cut**. So when I called Cap1 they denied it saying that I already got one.

Yes, I noticed that in your post so I decided to do it early. My third statement hasent cut yet. I am in the third billing cycle right now. I have used the card approx. 10-15 times since I recieved it and as I stated PIFed each bill well before its due date. I had a really nice CSR who took his time and was very plesent. Sometimes I think it is more "the luck of the draw" as to who you get on the other end of the phone as much as what your payment history looks like.

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

cheddar wrote:

voidman wrote:
strange, if you search the forum there are bunch of people who have received good CLIs within a year or so.

btw, is BT free for the card you have?

...and lots of us who get nothin' from them at all.

I always cringe a little when I read posts that say, "Call the backdoor number and they will..." etc, etc, etc., as if it's a sure thing.  Cap1 is very, very much YMMV.

I'm in the 10th month with my Cap1 card.  Stuck at $500, and I use about $240 of that each month.  Always PIF.  Never, ever late.  They will not give me a CLI no matter how often I try.

Meanwhile, my scores are up 100+ across the board, and I have other lines up to $15K.

Yeah ... what he said
Message 14 of 21
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

I got a credit steps letter on my newest CapOne card a week or so ago.  This account started at 750, the letter says it's a 500 bump up after the 3rd and before the 5th statement.  I did double up on the CLI's with my first card with them by calling and getting 500 before the auto CLI hit. (I hope they haven't fixed that glitch yet)  The last time I called about a CLI on that CapOne card, the guy told me nope and tried to give me the old "CapOne is a conservative lender b/s.  LOL, The truth probably is, if the CapOne master computer brain hasn't deemed you worthy of a CLI, you ain't gettin' one.  Also keep in mind that they keep a running record of all your calls to all CapOne Numbers.  They, as all CCC's do, monitor and track every detail they can load in their database and then some.
07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@unknown_entity wrote:
  Also keep in mind that they keep a running record of all your calls to all CapOne Numbers.  They, as all CCC's do, monitor and track every detail they can load in their database and then some.

That's a good point... A log of your call info could be right there on a screen in front of them.

Also....never act like it's your first time calling them on a particular day either. In other words, don't call for an increase at 2:00 p.m., then at 2:15 p.m., again at 2:50 p.m. and then at 3:00 p.m. and still say "geee, i was wondering....is it possible to get my limit increased" I know...I'VE TRIED IT!! lol. You will get denied with a chuckle.

Message Edited by Jubeyy on 06-30-2008 11:56 PM
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is up with Capital One ...?

I called and got my business card increased from $1k to $1,500 and my personal from $3,300 to $4,300 just for the asking.  If I asked for more of an increase I wonder if I would have gotten it.
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been a customer for almost five years and never paid late. I've called and sent at least 50 emails and I thought I would just be stuck at $550 forever. Anyways, I just called the backdoor number and requested a CLI for no specific amount and received an immediate $350 increase. It's definitely worth trying.
Message 18 of 21
kball64
Frequent Contributor

So my 3rd stmt cut last month and I thought I'd call the backdoor number today and inquire about my credit steps and when it will kick in.  I think I got the dumbest CSR on the planet.  She asked me a series of questions - what I use my card for, do I have other cards, what do I like about them, etc.  She even offered to upgrade my card to give me airmiles.  I thought I had it in the bag and then she tells me that she can't do anything to make my card "better" but I should go online and I can change my card's image to have a picture of my own on it to make it more special than it already is.  She thought that was just the greatest thing ever.  I'm thinking "are you freaking kidding me lady???" LOL   I'm going to wait it out and see what happens when my 5th stmt cuts. 
Message 19 of 21
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

Call back and get a different CSR, use the backdoor number.

07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.