cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your absolute worst mistake with credit cards?

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: What is your ablsolute worst mistake with credit cards?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sure they get plenty of business this way. The logo is almost identical and then the name... I think somehow our brains just see C----- One and we associate it with what we already know. It's really deceiving, but I take responbonsibility for not reading like I should have.

Yikes!!!!. you got a credit one instead of a capital one?. Oh My. Smiley EmbarassedDid not notice during app process??

Message 11 of 108
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sure they get plenty of business this way. The logo is almost identical and then the name... I think somehow our brains just see C----- One and we associate it with what we already know. It's really deceiving, but I take responbonsibility for not reading like I should have.

Yikes!!!!. you got a credit one instead of a capital one?. Oh My. Smiley EmbarassedDid not notice during app process??

No. I was tired, but I noticed it when the card came. Yikes? Every word other than 'Yikes' crossed my mind and came spewing out of my mouth once I realized I apped for the wrong card. The bad part is that an actual Cap One mailer was among that pile of offers, and I grabbed the wrong one and took the plunge.

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 12 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before I knew much about credit cards (aka, just last year), I was burning inquiries applying for useless credit cards haphazardly, and I really regret that. For example, I burnt two EQ pulls applying for the Target credit card on separate occasions (and still wasn't approved!) when I really should have just gotten the debit Red card.  I wasted three EX pulls just a few months apart on Amex for the BCE and was not approved only to find out the Sallie Mae MC was a better fit for me anyway (and for that card I was approved the first time!) 

Really, I consider all of my pre-myFICO credit card actions to be humiliating failures. 

Message 13 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SOGGIE wrote:

Other than payment defaults, in your entire history of credit, what do you feel is your absolute worst mistake you made relating to credit cards?

I will share my worst experience. Do not laugh. Many many years ago, I received pre-approved mailers from Capital One, Chase, US Bank, American Express, etc. I was so extremely tired and stressed to the max when I decided to respond to the invitations. I started with Capital One (sort of). Responded to the invite, and was informed that I was approved. When the card came I wanted to expel 50 hard bricks. What I inadvertently ending up responding to was Credit One, not Capital One. Their logos were similar, and this threw me off. I never heard of Credit One prior to this incident. When I learned about this company, and realized that I royally screwed myself. This was a very sad moment in my credit history.

Not really having any was mine!  We went to buy our dream home and come to find out all of our previouse mtg's & auto loans fell off our reports and it was like starting over again!  What a nightmare!  It was right when the recession hit.  We sold our old home, rented and had paid off auto loans.  Didn't do anything during those times as things got pretty bad in FL.  It was pay for it or don't get it.  By the time all was getting better, there was nothing left to report on our credit.  But we made it through and thanks to Myfico friends, have now entered into a whole new world.  I did have crappy cards for a bit like Cap One low limit, First Premier and Merrick.   

Message 14 of 108
taxi818
Super Contributor

@SOGGIE wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No. I was tired, but I noticed it when the card came. Yikes? Every word other than 'Yikes' crossed my mind and came spewing out of my mouth once I realized I apped for the wrong card. The bad part is that an actual Cap One mailer was among that pile of offers, and I grabbed the wrong one and took the plunge.

Sorry. to hear. Taking a plunge is right. I guess at this point best to keep it open for a while. hope they are not getting your for the monthly maintenance. and AF. read where they also get you if you want a cli. who charges for a cli? May as well put a couple dollars on it and let it report. no big deal.

Message 15 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since you precluded payment defaults, (I declared bankruptcy in 1982), I'll have to go with apping for the Overstock card last month. Smiley LOL

Message 16 of 108
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Before I knew much about credit cards (aka, just last year), I was burning inquiries applying for useless credit cards haphazardly, and I really regret that. For example, I burnt two EQ pulls applying for the Target credit card on separate occasions (and still wasn't approved!) when I really should have just gotten the debit Red card.  I wasted three EX pulls just a few months apart on Amex for the BCE and was not approved only to find out the Sallie Mae MC was a better fit for me anyway (and for that card I was approved the first time!) 

Really, I consider all of my pre-myFICO credit card actions to be humiliating failures. 

Not so bad of a mistake Jaylau. You're doing great now.

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 17 of 108
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Since you precluded payment defaults, (I declared bankruptcy in 1982), I'll have to go with apping for the Overstock card last month. Smiley LOL

At least you are strong enough to admit it.

Message 18 of 108
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not really having any was mine!  We went to buy our dream home and come to find out all of our previouse mtg's & auto loans fell off our reports and it was like starting over again!  What a nightmare!  It was right when the recession hit.  We sold our old home, rented and had paid off auto loans.  Didn't do anything during those times as things got pretty bad in FL.  It was pay for it or don't get it.  By the time all was getting better, there was nothing left to report on our credit.  But we made it through and thanks to Myfico friends, have now entered into a whole new world.  I did have crappy cards for a bit like Cap One low limit, First Premier and Merrick.   

Yes Sandi. I know the feeling. I went down that road. Let many of my accounts go. Paid cash for everything, and had to almost start over. That is when the Credit One hell happened.

Message 19 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

At least you are strong enough to admit it.

But I wasn't strong enough to resist that damned pop up. In my defense, I had just been dumped from the Discover gravy train and needed a fix.

Message 20 of 108
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.