cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your credit card spending set up?

tag
Green456
Established Contributor

What is your credit card spending set up?

Just curious how everybody allocates their spending and into which credit cards.

Bank of America Cashback 3.3%:

$5,000 a year on travel

Bank of America Travel Rewards 1.65%:

$3,000 a year on Cell Phone, Internet, TV

$2000 a year on professional licenses

Citi DC 2%:

$350 a year on other

Fort Knox FCU 5% Gas card:*

$1000 a year on Gas

*To be replaced in the future*

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is your credit card spending set up?

I ran $35k through my Limitless in 2018 but only a two or three of the rest of my cards went over $10k iirc. A few of my cards were used for less than $500, mostly my airline cards, because I only have them for their benefits and they're very selectively used. I don't make a drastic effort to make sure every single expenditure garners maximum earnings because I have at or nearly 20 cards but I make a decent effort to not see any returns of less than 2.5%.

Message 2 of 36
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

You only spend $350 a year on "other"? Why aren't you charging groceries, insurance, etc. to that card?

Anyways, I too am curious what everyone's breakdown is. I'm still waiting on my points cards to arrive in the mail, and I've been trying to work out how to best manage them. Mine are -

Chase Sapphire Prefered 2% travel and dining

Varies between $20k-$50k/year

Chase Freedom Unlimited 3% first year, 1.5% after

Everything that isn't travel or dining will go on here, including rent. Probably $30-40k/year

After 1 year with the Chase FU card, I'll probably switch to a Citi DC 2% card or Alliant Signature 2.5% card. I'm not keen on "catergory" type rewards cards, but the Sapphire works well because I charge a TON of travel and dining expenses for work. Free points, because I get reimbursed for all those charges by my work!

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 3 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex gold gets resturants and grocery

CSP gets all other dining

CFU gets prop. taxes / hoa fees and insurance

BCE gets gas

Amex Spg gets misc. charges

but the Uber visa is about to screw this up.

Message 4 of 36
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Green456 wrote:

Just curious how everybody allocates their spending and into which credit cards.

Bank of America Cashback 3.3%:

$5,000 a year on travel

Bank of America Travel Rewards 1.65%:

$3,000 a year on Cell Phone, Internet, TV

$2000 a year on professional licenses

Citi DC 2%:

$350 a year on other

Fort Knox FCU 5% Gas card:*

$1000 a year on Gas

*To be replaced in the future*

I don't get into that kind of detail. I have 7 or 8 cards that are good for spending. And then I just alternate them throughout the month, to keep them all active.

I'm sure I leave some money on the table that way, but I just don't have the brain cells needed to pay attention all the time to categories.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 5 of 36
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Right now I have a car expense holding up my Disco card so it’s not getting much use. I use my Amex BCE for any bigger charges and also groceries usually. My DC gets basically everything else including auto bills.
Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 6 of 36
5KRunner
Frequent Contributor

Citizens Cash Back Plus: everyday spend, 1.8%

US Bank Cash+: utilities (gas, electricity, water, recycling) and cellular, 5%

Citi Double Cash: all other auto-bills (streaming services, e-contributions to church, medical supplies for my two sons, daughter’s high school lunch account), 2%

AmEx BCE and BCP, Huntington Voice: groceries; 3%, 6%, 3%

Chase Freedom, Discover it: quarterly categories, 5%

Chase Sapphire Preferred: eating out and travel, 2x UR points (temporarily using it for everything, at least until I hit $4K in 3 months in order to earn the 60K UR SUB)

Target REDcard: Target, 5%

Message 7 of 36
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

Amex BCE - grocery - 3% back

Discover - Rotating 5% Catagories

Chase Amazon - Amazon 5% back

Citi DC - General Spend 2% Back

Lowe's - Home Imporvement - 5% discount or special financing

Uber Visa - dining - 4% back, Streaming - 2% back, Hotel/Airline - 3% Back

US Bank Cash + -  Utilities and Cellphone - 5% back

Ducks Unlimited - Gas 5% back

Amex Cash Magnet - 0% off then it will be sock drawered

Cap One QS - Kids are Au so when they need something I am paying for they use that - 1.5% back. 

At this point any new card would have to replace something I already have with better benefits, then the current card gets sock drawered.  I am pretty much at the saturation point for cash back. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 8 of 36
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

@Green456

I am just writing to say THANK YOU for this post. It actually made me analyze my credit cards and how I'm spending on each. I realized I am not maximizing my benefits at all (with the exception of BCP). I need to restructure for sure!

Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 36
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

For what it's worth, here is my FUTURE plan for this. Of course, by the time I'm able to get most of these cards, I'm sure things will change, but if I could apply for them all today, here's what I'd do:

As for those who say it's too much trouble to keep track of which cards are for what, I really don't think it's that difficult. The Amazon and Lowes cards are obvious, they're for Amazon and Lowes. Sapphires (the heavy metal cards) are for travel. For Chase Ink and US Bank Cash+, I don't have to remember because they're only for autopaying bills, so they'll be sock drawered after that's set up. I'll write "gas and sporting goods stores" on my Ducks Unlimited card, and "restaurants and bars" on my Uber card with a sharpie. That only leaves the rotating category cards (I'll just stick a new post-it note on each one quarterly), and the "everything else" cards that will be easy to remember because I'll be using them daily for, well, everything else. 

Anyways, all those cards would be worth 207,000 sign up bonus points, and only add up to $249 in annual fees ($344 if I don't cancel the Sapphire Preferred after getting the Reserve).

I travel a TON (mostly for work), so these cards are kind of tailored to my lifestyle, your mileage may vary.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.