cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your credit card spending set up?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: What is your credit card spending set up?

Is the merchant a bit sketchy? Schwab Platinum

Travel? Generally CSR

Can it break easily? Generally Platinum, or Costco if it's from Costco

Might it be cheaper somewhere else? Costco or DoubleCash

Do none of the above apply? BBP, CFU, or whatever category card has better rewards

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 11 of 36
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@coreysw12 wrote:

You only spend $350 a year on "other"? Why aren't you charging groceries, insurance, etc. to that card?

Anyways, I too am curious what everyone's breakdown is. I'm still waiting on my points cards to arrive in the mail, and I've been trying to work out how to best manage them. Mine are -

Chase Sapphire Prefered 2% travel and dining

Varies between $20k-$50k/year

Chase Freedom Unlimited 3% first year, 1.5% after

Everything that isn't travel or dining will go on here, including rent. Probably $30-40k/year

After 1 year with the Chase FU card, I'll probably switch to a Citi DC 2% card or Alliant Signature 2.5% card. I'm not keen on "catergory" type rewards cards, but the Sapphire works well because I charge a TON of travel and dining expenses for work. Free points, because I get reimbursed for all those charges by my work!

You seriously need to be in a CSR with 20k+ in travel and dining it isn't even close.

CSR: 20k * 3x = 60k UR which is a minimum of $900 redemption (CSR 1.5x via travel portal aka Expedia)

CSP: 20k * 2x = 40k UR which is $500 redemption minimum same analysis as above except at 1.25x as I understand it.  

$400 > $55 (AF difference after travel reimbursement which you hit).  Seriously PC like today, take the additional $345 a year and go on with life Smiley Wink.

My own setup is basically identical under normal circumstances: 

CSR - Travel / Restaurants: $8595 YTD

CFU - almost everything else, including arbitrage tax payments

Chase Amazon: well, Amazon

Chase Freedom: if Chase releases a restaurant category ever again it gets the money, if not, newp.

The one glaring exception to this is the Chase Ink Preferred, which still nets me 3x UR for travel but at some point I'm going to have a fight with my current pimp about my expenses (which are not reimbursed today), and I want to be able to just throw a credit card statement at them and say this is what you cost me post-tax:  Fix it.

That's easier if I have my work travel expenses broken out over any personal travel that I do which isn't admittedly that much currently.

        
Message 12 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

* Amazon Store Card - 5% on Amazon purchases (largest category of spend for me as I rarely buy things not on Amazon and I’ll pick up gift cards from Amazon when I can for those purchases too)

* BBVA ClearPoints - 3% back on utilities

* NFCU More Rewards - 3% back on groceries, 2% back on dining

* Discover It - rotating categories 5%

* PayPal Cashback - 2% everywhere else

* Capital One QS - I use it for sketchy purchases with Eno’s virtual credit card numbers, also use a VCC for recurring purchases I don’t want to recur. Use as a fallback card if my PayPal ever gets rejected as well because it’s old reliable. 

Message 13 of 36
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@coreysw12 wrote:

For what it's worth, here is my FUTURE plan for this. Of course, by the time I'm able to get most of these cards, I'm sure things will change, but if I could apply for them all today, here's what I'd do:

As for those who say it's too much trouble to keep track of which cards are for what, I really don't think it's that difficult. The Amazon and Lowes cards are obvious, they're for Amazon and Lowes. Sapphires (the heavy metal cards) are for travel. For Chase Ink and US Bank Cash+, I don't have to remember because they're only for autopaying bills, so they'll be sock drawered after that's set up. I'll write "gas and sporting goods stores" on my Ducks Unlimited card, and "restaurants and bars" on my Uber card with a sharpie. That only leaves the rotating category cards (I'll just stick a new post-it note on each one quarterly), and the "everything else" cards that will be easy to remember because I'll be using them daily for, well, everything else. 

Anyways, all those cards would be worth 207,000 sign up bonus points, and only add up to $249 in annual fees ($344 if I don't cancel the Sapphire Preferred after getting the Reserve).

I travel a TON (mostly for work), so these cards are kind of tailored to my lifestyle, your mileage may vary.

You can only have one card in Sapphire family. 

Message 14 of 36
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

That's fine - I only listed both because I already have SP, but plan to get SR someday. I'll probab;y product-change the SP to a Freedom and then apply for a new SR. Or if I'm ineligible for the SUB when I'm ready for the SR (due to the 48mo wait between Sapphire-family SUBs), then I'll try to PC the SP to an SR.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 15 of 36
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@coreysw12 wrote:

That's fine - I only listed both because I already have SP, but plan to get SR someday. I'll probab;y product-change the SP to a Freedom and then apply for a new SR. Or if I'm ineligible for the SUB when I'm ready for the SR (due to the 48mo wait between Sapphire-family SUBs), then I'll try to PC the SP to an SR.

You are leaving 20k UR on the floor each YEAR.

20k x 4 = 80K > 60K SUB.

Seriously PC.

        
Message 16 of 36
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

@calyx wrote:

"And the sales guy muttered...

"You people with your rewards""

Smiley LOL

Message 17 of 36
Green456
Established Contributor

@coreysw12 wrote:

You only spend $350 a year on "other"? Why aren't you charging groceries, insurance, etc. to that card?

Anyways, I too am curious what everyone's breakdown is. I'm still waiting on my points cards to arrive in the mail, and I've been trying to work out how to best manage them. Mine are -

Chase Sapphire Prefered 2% travel and dining

Varies between $20k-$50k/year

Chase Freedom Unlimited 3% first year, 1.5% after

Everything that isn't travel or dining will go on here, including rent. Probably $30-40k/year

After 1 year with the Chase FU card, I'll probably switch to a Citi DC 2% card or Alliant Signature 2.5% card. I'm not keen on "catergory" type rewards cards, but the Sapphire works well because I charge a TON of travel and dining expenses for work. Free points, because I get reimbursed for all those charges by my work!

I only use credit cards for re-occurring payments, gas, plane tickets, hotels. For groceries and going out cash is the king. I tend to spend less money when I hand in cash because I am much less likely to buy something out of impulse. Of course YMMV.

Message 18 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

10k rent on DC - 1% after fee

8k flight/Gas on Propel - 4.98%

5k food/grocery on Amex Gld - 5.2%

5k Amzn on AMZN VISA - 5% (trying to reduce this, amazon doesn't always have the best price)

5k on CFU, most of everything else - 2.25% (this is planned, not yet PC CSP)

2-3k on CF/DISC rotating 5%

2-3k on Gift card at 7%+ discount.

Message 19 of 36
NaaryalHead
Regular Contributor

Mine annual breakdown is
Chase Amazon Visa $4500 @5% back exclusively for amazon.
Uber Visa $2500 @4% back for travel and eat out
BoA Cash Rewards 3% back on online shopping.
Citi DC for everything else @ 2% back
Citi Premier for travel. Newly inducted.
Cap one QS1 "for the bucket" edition for bills just so I can see all bills separately in one place.

5k+ CLs: Chase Amazon, Cap1 QS1,
10k+ CLs: BofA Cash Rewards, Amex Cash Magnet, Citi DC, Barclays Uber, Citi Premier, Chase Saphire Preff,Cap1 Savor1

Torch bearer of the Bucketeers' Society. Shamefully carrying a bucketed Cap One QS1 with AF & zero chance of a PC.
Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.