cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your credit card spending set up?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is your credit card spending set up?

Here’s mine after I reach SUB spend for Altitude Reserve:

US Cash + - 5% back on Utilities and TV/Internet/Streaming

US Altitude Reserve - 4.5% (or 3 points)  back on Travel and Apple Pay

Amex Gold - 4x MRs on Dining and Groceries

Savor - 4% back on Dining. This serves as the backup to the Gold for now.

BBP - 2x MRs on all other spend

Now when I close my Gold in November it will then look like:

US Altitude Reserve - 4.5% back on Travel/Apple Pay. 1.5% back on Non category spend.

Savor - 4% back on Dining and Entertainment

BOA Cash Rewards -  3.3% back on Gas

This will likely be my strategy going forward. If my Fidelity didn’t have the 50$ threshold for redemptions it would be used for non cat spend. It would just take me too long to reach that given that most of my bills and other non category spend are already covered. With that being said, losing out on 0.5% in rewards isn’t that big deal.

Message 31 of 36
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

^ What about Groceries? You're getting 4% now on the Gold card, but when you cancel that you're only going to get 2% with the Savor card

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 32 of 36
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Here’s mine after I reach SUB spend for Altitude Reserve:

US Altitude Reserve - 4.5% (or 3 points)  back on Travel and Apple Pay

Amex Gold - 4x MRs on Dining and Groceries

Savor - 4% back on Dining. This serves as the backup to the Gold for now.

BBP - 2x MRs on all other spend

Now when I close my Gold in November it will then look like:

US Altitude Reserve - 4.5% back on Travel/Apple Pay. 1.5% back on Non category spend.

Savor - 4% back on Dining and Entertainment

BOA Cash Rewards -  3.3% back on Gas

This will likely be my strategy going forward. If my Fidelity didn’t have the 50$ threshold for redemptions it would be used for non cat spend. It would just take me too long to reach that given that most of my bills and other non category spend are already covered. With that being said, losing out on 0.5% in rewards isn’t that big deal.

If you'd take 1.5% towards travel over 2x MRs, maybe move that BBP spend over to Altitude Reserve now.

I like MRs and might eventually try for a second BBP via a separate business entity. But as you don't, there's not much point in continuing to earn them.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 33 of 36
iced
Valued Contributor

Dining/non-airfare travel: CSR (around $30,000/year)
Airfare: American Express Platinum ($15,000/year)
Other: Random depending on if I feel like MR or UR that particular moment ($6,000-$10,000/year).

What is other? Groceries are maybe $50/month, gas is negligible - a few hundred dollars per year, and the annual auto insurance payment ($2,500, skews my annual total). Gym membership is $80/month. The occasional retail purchase, but that’s maybe $1,500 most years, though some years it will be much higher. The occasional medical bill goes here too.

Everything else is ACH (mortgage/cable) or it’s free anyway (phone/Netflix). SO pays the utilities since I pay the mortgage, so nothing there.

I’m adding daycare to my expenses soon, so if that’s chargeable that’s another $30,000/year to the other category.
Message 34 of 36
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

Disco IT and Disco IT(AU) --Rotating Categories
BCE -Groceries, Misc.
AMEX Green--large purchases, bills, hotels
AMEX Everyday(AU) everyday stuff
Navy Fed More Rewards(AU)--Dining
Navy Fed CR --everything else
Amazon Prime ---Gifts
We have others cards but most spend gone on whats listed here.
Message 35 of 36
digitek
Established Contributor

I try to shoot for the most efficient cash back setup.

SDFCU Premium Cash Back + - 2% card with Chip+PIN priority from a solid CU, 11.49% APR is also one of the lowest I have, but don't carry balances

US Altitude Reserve - 4.5% on travel and almost any kind of payment terminal using Samsung Pay

Amex Gold - got this one through Amex Corporate Assistance Program which rewards an extra annual $100 credit, use for x4 MR on Groceries (used to have BCP but our family spends over $6k annually)

Barclays Uber - 4% on dining (closer to 5% because of the $50 credit on streaming when spending $5k), good cell phone insurance so I put cellphone on this one, too

FNBO NRA card - 5% gas, this one actually saves me the smallest amount annually just because I work from home and only spend about $100 a month on gas

Vantage West Connect - 5% on utilities, streaming, internet, used to be cellphone too but I switched to Uber for the insurance. $1500 quarterly cap but you can pick and it carrries over so I only had to choose Utilities once.  Lots of issues with rewards being correct on this card.

US Bank Cash+ - 5% on categories of choice.  Honestly hardly use this one, the categories are just really limited or I have them covered by other cards.  I usually use choose between Clothing Stores, Electronic Stores, or Furniture Stores depending on what I have to buy at places like that in the future
Amazon Prime Business - 5% Amazon or special financing at Amazon, not on personal credit file, but on business credit file

Lowe's Business Amex - 5% off Lowe's and 2% back in points, own a house and Lowe's is the closest so pretty useful.  Also not on personal credit file, but business credit file

Delta Platinum - live in city that is Delta hub and pretty loyal to them for most of my life, free checked bags and a domestic companion pass once a year for $195 AF.  Again, not on personal credit file, but on business credit file.

AF total is $845 for Altitude Reserve, Amex Gold and Amex Delta Platinum Business, but easily reduces down to $125 with a single trip.  I can't really squeeze any more out of my spend and will probably close the Vantage West card and make Cash+ Utilities and Streaming each quarter.  Average around 3.5% cashback on total CC spend which saves my family around $700 annually over just using 2% card for everything.

Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.