cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your current credit card plan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is your current credit card plan?

Right now my plan is to sort out my credit card lineup to maximize rewards as I am starting to travel a lot more.

I want to cancel my Amex Green (useless card, I regret wasting a HP on it now) and replace it with the Amex PRG.

Thinking of applying for the Sallie Mae, Citi Doublecash/Fidelity also.

I am going to be trying out both the CSP/Amex PRG over the next year during their intro periods and then decide next year which one I want to keep and pay the AF.

I am planning 1-2 trips to Europe and another few trips domestically so the signup bonuses would help me out with some hotel stays or car rental costs.

This is how I want my wallet to end up looking:

CSP/Amex PRG Airline, travel and dining costs (possibly groceries and gas purchases also if I don't apply for the Sallie Mae)

Chase Freedom5% categories

Sallie MaeGas, groceries and Amazon purchases

Citi DoubleCash/FidelityEverything else

Sockdrawing my Amex EDC and my BoA Cash cards.

Happy with my credit scores right now as I am not going to be looking into getting a mortgage for at least another few years anc am confident my scores will all be above 760 by then. I was thinking about getting a secured loan to help bump my scores up a little but I don't think my scores are low enough to bother right now.

I am just a little undecided on if I want to use only point based cards or if I want to mix in cashback.

Message 71 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tentative Plan:

My Cards:

QS1: $5,000 opened April 2015, zero balance - Work on increasing CL, maybe PC to QS in a few months.

QS1: $1,500 opened April 2015, zero balance - Work on increasing CL, maybe PC to QS, or combine into the card above?

Discover: $2,000 opened April 2015, current $500 balance that will be paid off tomorrow - Work on increasing CL, use for everything until the double cash promo ends, then use for category spending

Amex BCE: $2,000 opened May 2015, zero balance - Use this for groceries and gas. Maybe PC this to BCP next year when eligible. I think that I could justify the annual fee.

WalMart: $4,000 opened April 2015, zero balance - Use occasionally to show some activity and keep open.

Amazon: $4,000 opened April 2015, zero balance - Thinking about closing this one. I wonder how long I can keep it open without activity just to pad AAoA?

Fashion Bug: $1,500 opened 2006, zero balance - SD'd, oldest tradeline. I use it for a small purchase once or twice a year just to keep it open.

Cards I want:

Citi DC: Maybe app for this after the Discover double cash deal is over next year. I would use it for all non-category spend.

BCP vs. Sallie Mae?: I feel like it would be easier for me to PC BCE to BCP instead of apping for Sallie Mae. Maybe I will just leave the BCE alone. Not sure yet.

Other than the Citi Double Cash, I don't see any need to app for anything for a few years. I was tempted by the Venture craze, but I don't travel much so it would only be for the purposes of combing with my QS1 limit. And if I get the Citi DC, I see no reason to have a huge limit on a 1.5% card.

I welcome all input on my plan. You won't offend me with criticism. Let me have it! My main concentration will be to pay off my student loan by this time next year and then work on increasing my emergency fund.

Message 72 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

For my own credit plan, it's decidedly fluid at this point as I'm in a holding pattern until mortgage closes.

Near term goal: Get a 20k line doesn't really matter as long as major lender in my opinion so:

1) Post mortgage, go down to the local branch and take my CSP preapproval.  Want this card anyway.

2) If not 20K+, take a flier on an Amex 3X CLI which I expect won't work but stranger things have happened and my EX FICO 8 scores are in a good place right now.

3) If neither of those produce the desired result, go apply for a Venture again looking for a 20K line.

4) If that doesn't work (seriously, **bleep** at this point) open up either a QS or VentureOne with the goal of consolidating the limits in 6 months.

After that it's kind of up in the air, my goals beyond that which I'll do quite possibly right after that tour:

5) Establish a PLOC, likely with Penfed, may wait if I have to go the 2X Cap 1 route.  Or at least ask, I'm pretty clean other than a slew of mortgage inquiries.

6) Pickup a baby SDFCU secured card for some dumbass FICO testing, costs me next to nothing, really can't materially affect my AAOA anyway

7) See if DCU will convert my secured card to unsecured, read that it's been done before, maybe it can be for me too.

8) Close Walmart, though I'll likely let my reports settle just to get a clean datapoint there for kicking my lone store card to the curb.

9) Establish my SSFCU account since apparently I qualify for it through my dad, go go Austin TX residence.  Future second LOC target or similar but I really just want a TU pulling CU in my portfolio.  They do have the sweet restaurant card but that spend will be used to push my UR generation forward with the CSP.

Then it's sit on my hands for a year to obtain the second goal: see about picking up  one or a pair of 20K CU lowish APR lines from the usual suspects like NASA or similar just in case I need to float a balance in the future.  Old paid collection will be gone by that point and AAOA will have long since crossed 3 years by that point even with a slew of new accounts.

And my JCB Makurai unicorn Smiley Happy.  Might take the flier application now, it's a long slow grind to get the CL up though.

After that I'm pretty much done other than CLI requests or maybe an additional Chase travel card someday, or leaving myself in a position to jump on future lender products.

Sounds like you have a lot of work to do and patience.....lots of waiting.  Regarding venture, I read that if you downgrade to venture 1, you will be eligible for the promo to spend $1k and get 20k points.

regarding the fence advice, my wife just ordered her venture and between hers mine, that's $800 worth of lowes gift cards to use towards the fence.

Message 73 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm gardening right now at the moment and I'm going to chill for the rest of this year at least. My plan is to pay down my CC debts as my 0% is expiring on the 3rd of Dec this year. I've been pretty stressed out past few months due to these bills and I'm working hard at it to pay them down.

Chase

CSP: 4900

Slate: 3700

Freesom: 3500

Citi

AAdvantage World Elite MC: 4900

QS1: 1500

Discove: 1000

Merrick: 2000

Walmart: 700

Smiley Sad according to my Fico simulator if I pay down and on time for the next 12 months I will reach 800+ scores all across. It's my goal for 2015 & 2016 I gotta get these down so I can buy my dream house.

Yeah, definitely got to pay those down.  Do you use a budget? I use excel since 2005.  Incoming $$ - bikes = how much I have to spend after bills.  

Message 74 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MzOptimistic wrote:
I Recently Got A Cap 1Platinium and QS1. I'm app'ng for a Barclay in 6 months then a Discover It 2 months after that. I will eventually upgrade my QS1 to a QS and my Platinum to a QS.

Oh wow!! I applied for barclay and discover.  I did the two tab trick where you have two browsers open, fill out app on both and hit submit on both within a couple seconds.  I think "not sure" this will avoid discover to see you just applied for another card (barclay) and might not like that. If you apply at the same time, it might hel. That's just my experience and from what I read, worked for me.

Message 75 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MzOptimistic wrote:
I want a VS, JCP and Express card but I'm told not to rack up on store cards..

It's good to have a mixture of different credit (store, visa cc, loans etc) but I wouldn't personally get too many store cards.  I only have JCrew and express only because I'll be using those for my 6 yr old son.  Everything else is CCs and my mortgage.

Message 76 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kutuzov wrote:
My plan:

Got
QS with AF, will try to lower APR and get rid of AF when next AF hits in. Limit 5k, AF is due may 2015.

Barclay Rewards MC, 2.6k will be working on lowering APR, so far I got a 1% reduction.

Discover It 800, will pc to chrome, the variable categories don't offer me much, as an OTR truck driver the consistent 2%'on gas stations and restaurants it's better. Will work on lowering APR.

Good luck on lowering APRs, I want to try that as well on my QS.  I will wait six months to try and of my discover it to chrome as well, the rotation doesn't really help me either, except for groceries and gas. 

Message 77 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Right now my plan is to sort out my credit card lineup to maximize rewards as I am starting to travel a lot more.

I want to cancel my Amex Green (useless card, I regret wasting a HP on it now) and replace it with the Amex PRG.

Thinking of applying for the Sallie Mae, Citi Doublecash/Fidelity also.

I am going to be trying out both the CSP/Amex PRG over the next year during their intro periods and then decide next year which one I want to keep and pay the AF.

I am planning 1-2 trips to Europe and another few trips domestically so the signup bonuses would help me out with some hotel stays or car rental costs.

This is how I want my wallet to end up looking:

CSP/Amex PRG Airline, travel and dining costs (possibly groceries and gas purchases also if I don't apply for the Sallie Mae)

Chase Freedom5% categories

Sallie MaeGas, groceries and Amazon purchases

Citi DoubleCash/FidelityEverything else

Sockdrawing my Amex EDC and my BoA Cash cards.

Happy with my credit scores right now as I am not going to be looking into getting a mortgage for at least another few years anc am confident my scores will all be above 760 by then. I was thinking about getting a secured loan to help bump my scores up a little but I don't think my scores are low enough to bother right now.

I am just a little undecided on if I want to use only point based cards or if I want to mix in cashback.

So and green is not that great? Why not? I'm trying to study them all so I can apply for the rift one that fits my needs when the time comes.

You will like the CSP, I'm $600 away to meeting the spending and the rewards are awesome!

Message 78 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Tentative Plan:

My Cards:

QS1: $5,000 opened April 2015, zero balance - Work on increasing CL, maybe PC to QS in a few months.

QS1: $1,500 opened April 2015, zero balance - Work on increasing CL, maybe PC to QS, or combine into the card above?

Discover: $2,000 opened April 2015, current $500 balance that will be paid off tomorrow - Work on increasing CL, use for everything until the double cash promo ends, then use for category spending

Amex BCE: $2,000 opened May 2015, zero balance - Use this for groceries and gas. Maybe PC this to BCP next year when eligible. I think that I could justify the annual fee.

WalMart: $4,000 opened April 2015, zero balance - Use occasionally to show some activity and keep open.

Amazon: $4,000 opened April 2015, zero balance - Thinking about closing this one. I wonder how long I can keep it open without activity just to pad AAoA?

Fashion Bug: $1,500 opened 2006, zero balance - SD'd, oldest tradeline. I use it for a small purchase once or twice a year just to keep it open.

Cards I want:

Citi DC: Maybe app for this after the Discover double cash deal is over next year. I would use it for all non-category spend.

BCP vs. Sallie Mae?: I feel like it would be easier for me to PC BCE to BCP instead of apping for Sallie Mae. Maybe I will just leave the BCE alone. Not sure yet.

Other than the Citi Double Cash, I don't see any need to app for anything for a few years. I was tempted by the Venture craze, but I don't travel much so it would only be for the purposes of combing with my QS1 limit. And if I get the Citi DC, I see no reason to have a huge limit on a 1.5% card.

I welcome all input on my plan. You won't offend me with criticism. Let me have it! My main concentration will be to pay off my student loan by this time next year and then work on increasing my emergency fund.

This is what I would do:

you already have good CLs, work then and build a good history.

keep Amazon or of it if you can so you don't hurt aaoa, if you close it will report and still count for aaoa for 10 years

pay off school loans

Message 79 of 108
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Pay down about 1.3k in debt on my Amex.

2. Close my DCU secured card.  It will have been open for one year.  Use the deposit to pay the last of one of my student loans.

3. Apply for graduation of my CU secured card in January,

4.  App for Sallie Mae and close Barclay Rewards in April.  I originally got the Rewards card with the intention of doing a p/c to the Arrival, but two things derailed that - the nerfing of Arrival and me re-thinking my need for a travel card at all.  I think I will derive much more  benefit from Sallie Mae.

5. I think I may have buyer's remorse with my Amex - thinking about apping for Citi DC mid-next year and SDing the Amex.  We shall see! 

Message 80 of 108
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.