cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your opinion on citi double cash?

tag
Subexistence
Established Contributor

What is your opinion on citi double cash?

I heard some posters say it's bad while others say it's good. I just want to know the community's opinion before I apply.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 1 of 70
69 REPLIES 69
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: What is your opinion on citi double cash?

@Subexistence wrote:

I heard some posters say it's bad while others say it's good. I just want to know the community's opinion before I apply.

Some people swear by the card and think it's great.

My opinion is it's ok for purchases but way overrated because:

1. first 1% delayed until statement after purchase
2. second 1% delayed until statement after payment
3. redemption minimum of $25
4. low starting limits
5. hard to get CLI's, usually no soft pull opportunity
6. no balance transfer opportunities after first 30 days
7. high interest & high fees
8. foreign transaction fees

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 70
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

From what I've read on many comments, the DC seems to be the go-to card for Citi. 

FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 3 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

My DW has it. It doesn't get much use, mainly the reasons SouthJamaca stated. We used it mostly during the promotional period because of the 0% interest. It's one of her lowest cards and hasn't grown at all.
Message 4 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's sort of the benchmark that other general spend rewards cards are compared to: "is this better than just swiping Double Cash for an easy 2%"?

It's easy to get the cash and easy to use (Mastercard). There are some minor roadblocks mentioned above, but those probably keep the card viable. It is a good card for unbonused spend. 

Message 5 of 70
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

4. low starting limits

And as others have said before, 5 at least must be YMMV.  SP CLIs on DC are not an issue for me.

You have to also compare to alternatives.  Blispay is probably the strongest contender but has no auto-pay and some are not sure about long-term viability.  Fideltiy Visa  gives 2% at statement after purchase, but has a $50 redemption minimum.

Message 6 of 70
Gmood1
Super Contributor

First year I hated this card because of the low SL. It was SD most of that time because of this. No SP cli the first year either ..YMMV. After that the flood gates opened. I've received balance transfer offers at least once a week for the last 3 or 4 months.Standard APRs can be high, though they send offers for this as well. I think my purchase APR right now is 1.99% for the next year. That's lower then any credit card I know of. The last BT offer was .99% for a year. I don't do BTs or carry balances. So neither will be used here.

If you pay before statement date. You'll receive the full 2% a few days after statement closes. The price rewind feature is nice. I haven't used it yet.

Once you get some history with them, they seem to be less conservative.
Now SP CLIs come every 180 days. It's the most used card in my household besides the Amex BCP. That may change with the USAA Limitless set to arrive next week with a 2.5% CB and no redemption or spending thresholds.
Message 7 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it's great. Citi price rewind is great. Personally, I don't care about the 25 minimum because I'm not cashing in 5 dollars in rewards, and it isn't 25 dollar increments like amex. It has 2 year extended warranty on things instead of 1 like most. If you care about waiting for the other 1 percent to post just pay before statement cuts but it's not a big deal to me.
Message 8 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Put some spend on it and build a relationship and they will work with you if credit is there. I took a HP through the EO for a 3k--15 increase that I requested.
Message 9 of 70
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

4. low starting limits

Some people might have issues with what SouthJamaica stated and I can understand why. The card either works for you or it doesn't. 

- As far as the delay on the rewards fortunately that's not money I need to pay bills, so I'm ok with waiting.

- My SL was $9k and I've been getting SP CLI's with Citi on my accounts at the 6 month mark.

- This is an everyday rewards card so I don't use for  BT's even though I got the 18mo 0% offer. 

- Interest rate doesn't matter since I pay the account in full always. 

- Most of my international trips are to Canada and I use my Amex Platinum/SPG. No issues with acceptance. Most people don't travel internationally often.

Edit: Last year I bought an item the week before Black Friday. The item went on sale for $150 less, submitted a Price Rewind and within 10 days my account was credited.

Message 10 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.