cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your opinion on citi double cash?

tag
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

Re: What is your opinion on citi double cash?

I think it's a pretty amazing card and use it for my general spend.

In response to:

My opinion is it's ok for purchases but way overrated because:

1. first 1% delayed until statement after purchase
2. second 1% delayed until statement after payment

Or, just use credit properly and pay off the card with the money you are supposed to already have and get 2% immediately after the statement cuts

3. redemption minimum of $25

If you are relying on that $24.99 or less in cashback then spending habits should be questioned but I guess it's a step down from some cards that let you redeem just 1 cent if need be.

4. low starting limits

It is true, that even with all my cards starting at $10,000 or higher limits, this card started at $3,000.

5. hard to get CLI's, usually no soft pull opportunity

There is a soft pull opporunity always available in my account.  I have used it every 6 months as allowed and always gotten an increase of $1000 or more each time.

6. no balance transfer opportunities after first 30 days

I guess if you need to transfer a balance this would be bad.  I prefer not to keep balances.

7. high interest & high fees

No problem if you do not carry a balance or do not miss payments.  In other words, be responsible.

8. foreign transaction fees

Not expected since it is not a travel card.  I think that is expecting too much.

Message 11 of 70
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I think new accounts should, as much as possible, involve big bonuses.

DC is more a card to PC to than to app for outright.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 12 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Or it works better long term for someone who isn't going to get much benefit out of a CSP, CSR, Airline card? Some people don't want to use a card, get the bonus and cancel or SD it. I've done it before but yeah..
Message 13 of 70
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

Best card I ever owned.

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 14 of 70
galahad15
Valued Contributor

I like my Citi DC, but wish that the $25 min. redemption threshold could be eliminated, so that you can redeem rewards at any earned points value.  Also that the 2% cashback could be earned immedaitely after the initial purchase, instead of 1% at purchase and 1% after payment -- that setup seems rather overly-convoluted imo.  If Citi made these 2 changes (although I doubt they ever will seriously consider them), the card could potentially become much more popular here...

Message 15 of 70
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Or it works better long term for someone who isn't going to get much benefit out of a CSP, CSR, Airline card? Some people don't want to use a card, get the bonus and cancel or SD it. I've done it before but yeah..

I didn't suggest getting a premium card and then canceling or SDing it. I suggested getting a premium card and then PCing it to DC after draining the premium card of its first-year value.

Sometimes getting the most value from a new account in the long run involves getting a ton of value early on.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 16 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's true. Doesn't Citi require another pull when pcing?
Message 17 of 70
eagle2013
Established Contributor

It's really a no brainer. Flat 2% rewards, 90 day purchase protection (REALLY handy since I shop online a lot and do final sale, etc), price rewind (also great for shopping). Most importantly imo is the extended warranty protection for up to two years (AMEX is just one year). My new $3000 MacBook is covered in full for 5 years (3 with AppleCare) which is amazing, especially since the touch bar may crap out after AppleCare ends.
Message 18 of 70
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Subexistence wrote:

I heard some posters say it's bad while others say it's good. I just want to know the community's opinion before I apply.

It gives you straight 2%. Ignore all the others. Too much talking and advice. Smiley Wink

I do not have any other Citi CCs, but this one and the Costco card. Even so, I do not use them often....

Message 19 of 70
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Bisplay might not last and I don't have fidelity account so citi it is. I plan to pay back in full and the cash back delay isn't a problem. The only problem is CLI. But I guess I can pay back before I use too much of my limit. Thank you for you responses. I will most likely get citi.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 20 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.