cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your opinion on citi double cash?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is your opinion on citi double cash?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

I heard some posters say it's bad while others say it's good. I just want to know the community's opinion before I apply.

Some people swear by the card and think it's great.

My opinion is it's ok for purchases but way overrated because:

1. first 1% delayed until statement after purchase
2. second 1% delayed until statement after payment
3. redemption minimum of $25
4. low starting limits
5. hard to get CLI's, usually no soft pull opportunity
6. no balance transfer opportunities after first 30 days
7. high interest & high fees
8. foreign transaction fees

And as others have said before, 5 at least must be YMMV.  SP CLIs on DC are not an issue for me.

You have to also compare to alternatives.  Blispay is probably the strongest contender but has no auto-pay and some are not sure about long-term viability.  Fideltiy Visa  gives 2% at statement after purchase, but has a $50 redemption minimum.

Oh, I have no issue REQUESTING SP CLIs.  Getting them is an entirely different story.  Had the card for over a year now, and still stuck at $500.  Other than that, I would love the card, and would use it a lot more if the CL wasn't unusable.

Message 41 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

I heard some posters say it's bad while others say it's good. I just want to know the community's opinion before I apply.

4. low starting limits

And as others have said before, 5 at least must be YMMV.  SP CLIs on DC are not an issue for me.

You have to also compare to alternatives.  Blispay is probably the strongest contender but has no auto-pay and some are not sure about long-term viability.  Fideltiy Visa  gives 2% at statement after purchase, but has a $50 redemption minimum.

Oh, I have no issue REQUESTING SP CLIs.  Getting them is an entirely different story.  Had the card for over a year now, and still stuck at $500.  Other than that, I would love the card, and would use it a lot more if the CL wasn't unusable.

Just push what you need to spend through from your checking account as a bill pay. Call in and alert them of your purchase if its large.  They may or may not do it.  What are your scores?  if upper 600s or over 700, call the EO in the backdoor thread here.  They say it will be a HP, and most often it is, but a lot of times they call you back in a day or two and say a report was not required.  You can specify the amount you request. I would make it be not your highest limit card but you should have no problem getting it increased unless something else is going down.  I went from 2400 to 3800 in 4 months, then 4 months later requested 15k, countered at 10k since I had a recent increase.  My last increase I asked for 20k, they gave me 15k and said they could not give me 20k at this time. Fine with me! 

I would rather use HPs to make the products I have fit my needs, instead of getting a triple pull with capital one and being in gridlock with out apping for more cards.  At least Citi even offers this, as well as APR reductions. As does Bank of America :-)

Message 42 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

4. low starting limits

Just push what you need to spend through from your checking account as a bill pay. Call in and alert them of your purchase if its large.  They may or may not do it.  What are your scores?  if upper 600s or over 700, call the EO in the backdoor thread here.  They say it will be a HP, and most often it is, but a lot of times they call you back in a day or two and say a report was not required.  You can specify the amount you request. I would make it be not your highest limit card but you should have no problem getting it increased unless something else is going down.  I went from 2400 to 3800 in 4 months, then 4 months later requested 15k, countered at 10k since I had a recent increase.  My last increase I asked for 20k, they gave me 15k and said they could not give me 20k at this time. Fine with me! 

I would rather use HPs to make the products I have fit my needs, instead of getting a triple pull with capital one and being in gridlock with out apping for more cards.  At least Citi even offers this, as well as APR reductions. As does Bank of America :-)

I have a lot of HPs, but they start falling off next month.  This is by far my lowest limit (except for a $300 gas card that I have, and have used once).  I will have to try the backdoor number once I lose a bunch of my HPs, if I still can't get the limit to move.  Thanks.

Message 43 of 70
yfan
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Or it works better long term for someone who isn't going to get much benefit out of a CSP, CSR, Airline card? Some people don't want to use a card, get the bonus and cancel or SD it. I've done it before but yeah..

I didn't suggest getting a premium card and then canceling or SDing it. I suggested getting a premium card and then PCing it to DC after draining the premium card of its first-year value.

Sometimes getting the most value from a new account in the long run involves getting a ton of value early on.

Does Citi allow this for any of its "premium" cards? Even if it does, how many cards can be changed this way anyway, practically speaking? I doubt having 5 DC cards laying around will do much good.

Message 44 of 70
yfan
Valued Contributor

It's a solid card. Flat 2% reward. Fairly comprehensive set of benefits (purchase protection, price protection, travel delay).

It doesn't get a lot of love here because there's no publicly available bonus, but I think that's how Citi makes it sustainable. You might say that even Capital One has a bonus for the QS, but consider that Capital One gives cards to people with much worse credit, boosting their interest earning potential.

Message 45 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a gentleman and thus won't say what came to mind.

However, I will say that one would be better served by a 2% cash back visa card, or a swift kick in the trousers.
Message 46 of 70
sarge12
Senior Contributor

It is a good card for 2% rewards, and mine gets used at retail stores. I do not usually use it online much, usually opting for my quicksilver with 1.5% rewards...why one may ask would I choose to use the 1.5% card instead of the DC??? Believe it or not, it is simply due to the fact that the Cap1 Quicksilver sent me 2 cards when I recieved it. I keep 1 in my wallet and 1 in my nightstand. Since the one in my nightstand is most convenient when ordering from my laptop I usually just grab that due to convenince. If the DC had sent me 2 cards, I would probably use it instead. Capital One was smart to send the extra identical card IMO! The extra 1/2 percent is not enough to be worth the inconvenience for me! The Capital one 1.5% is also very simple with no minimum amount to cash out as statement credit. I know I could have probably requested a second card but Capital One sent 2 automatically.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 47 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sarge12 wrote:

It is a good card for 2% rewards, and mine gets used at retail stores. I do not usually use it online much, usually opting for my quicksilver with 1.5% rewards...why one may ask would I choose to use the 1.5% card instead of the DC??? Believe it or not, it is simply due to the fact that the Cap1 Quicksilver sent me 2 cards when I recieved it. I keep 1 in my wallet and 1 in my nightstand. Since the one in my nightstand is most convenient when ordering from my laptop I usually just grab that due to convenince. If the DC had sent me 2 cards, I would probably use it instead. Capital One was smart to send the extra identical card IMO! The extra 1/2 percent is not enough to be worth the inconvenience for me! The Capital one 1.5% is also very simple with no minimum amount to cash out as statement credit. I know I could have probably requested a second card but Capital One sent 2 automatically.

Well when i shop online i dont even need my card. Use citi card generator.....

anyway i have to citi dc cards. The original world mastercard, then the upgraded world elite! both still work.

Message 48 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Double Cash is meh... I would go for the Discover it or Amex Blue Cash Everyday instead.  At least you earn higher in rotating categories with Discover (they double your cash earned the first year too) and with Amex... well... it's an Amex.  Smiley Happy  

Message 49 of 70
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Citi Double Cash is meh... I would go for the Discover it or Amex Blue Cash Everyday instead.  At least you earn higher in rotating categories with Discover (they double your cash earned the first year too) and with Amex... well... it's an Amex.  Smiley Happy  

Most people here will have more than one cc, and presumably the point is to get 2% on uncategorized spend.   After the first year, Discover IT is only 1%, as is the BCE.  In addition, the BCE reward system is MUCH worse than the DC, with the extra delay, $25 increments, and no bank transfer option  (and for me it gains no points back for being an Amex!)

Message 50 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.