cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your opinion on citi double cash?

tag
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Re: What is your opinion on citi double cash?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Citi Double Cash is meh... I would go for the Discover it or Amex Blue Cash Everyday instead.  At least you earn higher in rotating categories with Discover (they double your cash earned the first year too) and with Amex... well... it's an Amex.  Smiley Happy  

Most people here will have more than one cc, and presumably the point is to get 2% on uncategorized spend.   After the first year, Discover IT is only 1%, as is the BCE.  In addition, the BCE reward system is MUCH worse than the DC, with the extra delay, $25 increments, and no bank transfer option  (and for me it gains no points back for being an Amex!)

longtimelurker....BCE card is my grocery store card...it gets 3% at the grocery store, and we all have to eat.Smiley Wink BCE preferred gets 6%, but being single I don't eat enough to be worth the AF, so I opted for BCE.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 51 of 70
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@sarge12 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Citi Double Cash is meh... I would go for the Discover it or Amex Blue Cash Everyday instead.  At least you earn higher in rotating categories with Discover (they double your cash earned the first year too) and with Amex... well... it's an Amex.  Smiley Happy  

Most people here will have more than one cc, and presumably the point is to get 2% on uncategorized spend.   After the first year, Discover IT is only 1%, as is the BCE.  In addition, the BCE reward system is MUCH worse than the DC, with the extra delay, $25 increments, and no bank transfer option  (and for me it gains no points back for being an Amex!)

longtimelurker....BCE card is my grocery store card...it gets 3% at the grocery store, and we all have to eat.Smiley Wink BCE preferred gets 6%, but being single I don't eat enough to be worth the AF, so I opted for BCE.

I was talking about using it on uncategorized spend, yes BCE gets 3% and BCP gets 6% (and BC gets 5%) on groceries, and lots of other cards give some enhancement on groceries, so DC wouldn't be the natural choice there.

The reward system still sucks though!  And while it might be worth it for the higher percentages, not so sure on 3% vs other cards that also give 3% on groceries.   But OT!

Message 52 of 70
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This.  And some people make the argument that the Chase Freedom Unlimited actually earns more than the DC when you transfer the points - but in my case if I put all my uncategorized spend on an FU I would be sitting on a ton of UR points that would never get redeemed.

Message 53 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got the Freedom, Discover It, BCE, and DC. They all get used. Freedom & Discover for rotating categories, BCE for groceries & Util padding, and the DC for everything else. If I travelled enough for a CSR, I'd get a FU and redeem points through it.. but until that happens, the DC makes more sense for me
Message 54 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I've got the Freedom, Discover It, BCE, and DC. They all get used. Freedom & Discover for rotating categories, BCE for groceries & Util padding, and the DC for everything else. If I travelled enough for a CSR, I'd get a FU and redeem points through it.. but until that happens, the DC makes more sense for me

Those are the same 4 cards that get all of my spending (except Amazon). I think it's about the perfect set-up for those primarily interested in cash rewards (instead of travel rewards).

Message 55 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im very happy with the combo.. I also have a PCMCU Platinum Rewards for my recurring bills, a Fleet Farm Visa for most of my fuel, and a Costco card for any travelling, restaurants, and non ff fuel (when they arent rotating categories elsewhere). This combo helps me maximize rewards, and is plenty thick enough that small changes wouldnt harm me much.
Message 56 of 70
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

I don't have the actual double cash card, so I can't speak to what it is like owning it.  However, it is definitely a solid cash back card for general spend.  I think it is easy to overlook good general spend cards and focus on maximizing categories.  

I ultimately passed on the DC and found the QS to be more valuable because even though it is only 1.5%, capital one allows you to apply for the Venture or Venture 1 card, earn the bonus, and almost immediately PC to the QS, which has FTF and also runs great Uber promotions.  Since then, Chase introduced the FU, which now gets my general spend because I value a UR point at more than 1 cpp.  So, if you're not sure about the DC, there are some other great options out there!

Message 57 of 70
gardini51
Valued Member

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

I heard some posters say it's bad while others say it's good. I just want to know the community's opinion before I apply.

Some people swear by the card and think it's great.

My opinion is it's ok for purchases but way overrated because:

1. first 1% delayed until statement after purchase
2. second 1% delayed until statement after payment
3. redemption minimum of $25
4. low starting limits
5. hard to get CLI's, usually no soft pull opportunity
6. no balance transfer opportunities after first 30 days
7. high interest & high fees
8. foreign transaction fees

I think you are way overstating reasons as to why its overrated.

1. What other card gives you the cash back immediately? I'm pretty sure all of them wait until the statement posts before you actually get your cashback in your acucmulation.

2. Fair point, but you can also pay before the statement cuts to get the full 2% right away.

3. Do you really need to cash out the money right away. And if you need all of it right away it is only $1250 in spend to get the $25 minimum. Pay before statement cuts as mentioned above and get it all after 1 statement.

4. I started out at 11K, and was my second highest card at the time. doesn't seem that low to me.

5. Fair point. I have had mine almost 2 years and have not gotten any CLI or a soft pull opportunity, but I know many here that have.

6. I just looked on mine right now. I have a 0%, 18 month offer for balance transfer. 3% fee. Not bad.

7. APR on mine is 13.49%. Doesn't seem too high for a 2% cashback card. And what fees? Late fee? All cards have high fees like that.

8. How many cards have no FTF that you don't have to pay an AF for? Not many. 

Message 58 of 70
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@gardini51 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

I heard some posters say it's bad while others say it's good. I just want to know the community's opinion before I apply.

Some people swear by the card and think it's great.

My opinion is it's ok for purchases but way overrated because:

1. first 1% delayed until statement after purchase
2. second 1% delayed until statement after payment
3. redemption minimum of $25
4. low starting limits
5. hard to get CLI's, usually no soft pull opportunity
6. no balance transfer opportunities after first 30 days
7. high interest & high fees
8. foreign transaction fees

I think you are way overstating reasons as to why its overrated.

1. What other card gives you the cash back immediately? I'm pretty sure all of them wait until the statement posts before you actually get your cashback in your acucmulation.

Not true. Capital One Quicksilver, Barclay Rewards, e.g.

2. Fair point, but you can also pay before the statement cuts to get the full 2% right away.

Not true, you would have to wait until the statement cuts.

3. Do you really need to cash out the money right away.

That is not the point.  Of course I don't "need" it. I just prefer my money being available whenever I feel like redeeming it.

And if you need all of it right away it is only $1250 in spend to get the $25 minimum. Pay before statement cuts as mentioned above and get it all after 1 statement.

4. I started out at 11K, and was my second highest card at the time. doesn't seem that low to me.

Agreed, your experience was different than mine (and many other folks)

5. Fair point. I have had mine almost 2 years and have not gotten any CLI or a soft pull opportunity, but I know many here that have.

6. I just looked on mine right now. I have a 0%, 18 month offer for balance transfer. 3% fee. Not bad.

I've never had any balance transfer offer after the first 30 days.

7. APR on mine is 13.49%. Doesn't seem too high for a 2% cashback card.

Not bad; mine is 21.49%, cash advances 25.74%.

And what fees? Late fee? All cards have high fees like that.

5% for cash advances.

3% for balance transfers (if I could ever get one)

8. How many cards have no FTF that you don't have to pay an AF for? Not many. 

Plenty. Quicksilver, Jet Blue, Barclay Ring, Venture One, Penfed Promise, Alliant CU Visa, Discover IT, NFCU Platinum Visa, Chase Amazon Prime Visa, and on and on.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 59 of 70
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Those are the same 4 cards that get all of my spending (except Amazon). I think it's about the perfect set-up for those primarily interested in cash rewards (instead of travel rewards).

Sticking just to cash back, it, as always, depends on how you spend.    If you have heavy gas spend, you want a card that always gives 5% on that, not just a capped 2Q, if grocery spend is very heavy, you want the OBC, in other categories the US Bank Cash + would be a more useful card.

Personally, for those that don't travel, I really wouldn't  strongly recommend the Freedom (outside the bonus) or the Discover after the first year.   Both tie you to what the issuer chooses to reward, rather than letting you having higher earnings in categories that matter to you.

Message 60 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.