cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your opinion on citi double cash?

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
New Contributor

Re: What is your opinion on citi double cash?

I've had this card for a couple years and for about 1.5 of it I found it disappointing. It was my lowest limit by far and wouldn't grow. My fiance had some bad customer service experiences with the card. But patience has started to pay off. In the past 6 months or so I've gotten 2 SP CLI to make my limit much closer to my others and have had some good customer service experiences. As such, it's gone from the chopping block to a regular in my wallet. Would now recommend it to anyone.
Message 21 of 70
New Contributor

Re: What is your opinion on citi double cash?

Bozo card. 500 credit limit when highest limit is 24,500.

Message 22 of 70
Super Contributor

Re: What is your opinion on citi double cash?

For the average consumer who doesn't want to hassle with categories, it's hard to argue with a flat 2 percent.

The card tends to have lower starting limits and a higher APR than most people's profiles would seem to deserve. You do have to wait a couple months for the full 2 percent unless you pay before the statement closes. These are definitely issues and prevent it from being a wonderful card, but it's still a very solid option.

The only problem is that with no sign up bonus it will take many thousands of dollars in spend before you will out earn even the $100 bonus offered on cards like Quicksilver, BOA Cash Rewards etc.
Message 23 of 70
Member

Re: What is your opinion on citi double cash?

I product converted an old Diamond Preferred card to Double Cash about a month ago because I wasn't taking advantage of any of the Diamond Preferred rewards benefits.  Will pair the DC card with a new Amex Everyday Blue Cash card designated  for groceries to get the 3% back in that category.  See how it works out.     

Message 24 of 70
Established Contributor

Re: What is your opinion on citi double cash?

Some of you MF'ers (myFico'ers of course) are crazy. The DC is one of the best general spend cards out there. Big stinking deal the 2%  doesn't all hit at once. If you pay your card balance off before the statement closes you'll get all of it in one shot. I started with a 4k limit and had it bumped to 10k in less than a year. Some get 25k requesting a CLI on activation.

 

It has the best card benefits hands down out of any issuer of non-premium and some premium cards. Tell me one that's better. I'll dock it for no bonus though.

 

Secondly, I love South Jamaica and have no beef with him. He's from South Jamaica Queens and I'm from Yonkers. Alright, I'm not really from Yonkers but I like saying the word its absurd in the best way. He's my guy though. I just disagree on this one.

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 25 of 70
Frequent Contributor

Re: What is your opinion on citi double cash?

I like this card quite a bit. It's consistently been one of my favorites since it first came out. I love category cards and actively enjoy playing that game, but you can't beat a flat 2% on non-cat spending.

 

My biggest beef with the DC was that it was a Citi card and I've had some very poor customer service experiences with Citi over the years. The DC was worth dealing with Citi though because it was such a great card. I eventually did get the Blispay so that I would have a 2% option that isn't Citi, and I do now use it more than the DC and quite like their online account management (significantly better than Citi's), but I actively still use the DC too, just not quite as much.

 

I agree that starting limit on the DC is typically low. My other cards were 10K+ when I got the DC, but the DC started much lower...I don't remember exactly what anymore, somewhere between 2-5K I think. Anyway, after 6 months I did a HP and requested and got 10K. I didn't want to inch my way up with SP and I virtually never have more than 1-3 HPs on my reports at any given time, so it wasn't a big deal to just use an HP. After that I requested and got a SP CLI once, just for giggles really. They bumped it from 10K to $12,600, which I thought was very solid and generous for a SP. However, I haven't asked again because honestly I just don't really need another CLI (I've quit seeking CLIs on all my accounts). My utilization is low, I don't use the card THAT much, and PIF. So no need for more. But anyway, while I agree it started low, I had no trouble growing it as much as I was interested in growing it after 6 months.

 

I also agree with other posters in that the redemption time frame and process isn't really a big deal to me. I'd be annoyed if it had to be redeemed in exact $25 increments - because that's just stupid - but I'm fine with the threshold and don't really care how long it takes to post to my account as long as I get it. That said, Blispay's automatic credit at the end of every cycle is pretty sweet!

 

Regarding BT offers on the DC, I've never done one, but they send them to me ALL THE TIME. I'm getting offers from them and BofA every time I turn around.

 

As far as APR, I don't know what mine is offhand and PIF anyway, but I'm quite sure it's comparable to most of my other rewards cards (Chase, Discover, BofA) and I know they do beat Blispay's APR.

 

Anyway, it's my personal opinion that a solid 2% card is a great addition to most people's wallets and I think the DC is excellent. Blispay or Fidelity may be better for a given individual, but it comes down to particular needs and preferences. Personally I'd hate to choose between the DC and Blispay and am glad I have both, but I think I might still lean DC even though I like Blispay a tad better, because yeah, a well established, giant bank like Citi does make me more confident in long-term viability than a new startup like Blispay.

 

Message 26 of 70
Established Contributor

Re: What is your opinion on citi double cash?


@Kevin86475391 wrote:

I like this card quite a bit. It's consistently been one of my favorites since it first came out. I love category cards and actively enjoy playing that game, but you can't beat a flat 2% on non-cat spending.

 

My biggest beef with the DC was that it was a Citi card and I've had some very poor customer service experiences with Citi over the years. The DC was worth dealing with Citi though because it was such a great card. I eventually did get the Blispay so that I would have a 2% option that isn't Citi, and I do now use it more than the DC and quite like their online account management (significantly better than Citi's), but I actively still use the DC too, just not quite as much.

 

I agree that starting limit on the DC is typically low. My other cards were 10K+ when I got the DC, but the DC started much lower...I don't remember exactly what anymore, somewhere between 2-5K I think. Anyway, after 6 months I did a HP and requested and got 10K. I didn't want to inch my way up with SP and I virtually never have more than 1-3 HPs on my reports at any given time, so it wasn't a big deal to just use an HP. After that I requested and got a SP CLI once, just for giggles really. They bumped it from 10K to $12,600, which I thought was very solid and generous for a SP. However, I haven't asked again because honestly I just don't really need another CLI (I've quit seeking CLIs on all my accounts). My utilization is low, I don't use the card THAT much, and PIF. So no need for more. But anyway, while I agree it started low, I had no trouble growing it as much as I was interested in growing it after 6 months.

 

I also agree with other posters in that the redemption time frame and process isn't really a big deal to me. I'd be annoyed if it had to be redeemed in exact $25 increments - because that's just stupid - but I'm fine with the threshold and don't really care how long it takes to post to my account as long as I get it. That said, Blispay's automatic credit at the end of every cycle is pretty sweet!

 

Regarding BT offers on the DC, I've never done one, but they send them to me ALL THE TIME. I'm getting offers from them and BofA every time I turn around.

 

As far as APR, I don't know what mine is offhand and PIF anyway, but I'm quite sure it's comparable to most of my other rewards cards (Chase, Discover, BofA) and I know they do beat Blispay's APR.

 

Anyway, it's my personal opinion that a solid 2% card is a great addition to most people's wallets and I think the DC is excellent. Blispay or Fidelity may be better for a given individual, but it comes down to particular needs and preferences. Personally I'd hate to choose between the DC and Blispay and am glad I have both, but I think I might still lean DC even though I like Blispay a tad better, because yeah, a well established, giant bank like Citi does make me more confident in long-term viability than a new startup like Blispay.

 


Well said. I'd be curious to hear some of the customer service issues some have experienced though.

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 27 of 70
Regular Contributor

Re: What is your opinion on citi double cash?

I love it. Any complaining about the DC seems like it's stretching it a bit. As others have said, what are the alternatives for an unlimited 2% card? Blispay and Fidelity both have some issues (moreso Blispay, it sounds like).

 

I'm certainly not going to use a 1.5% card for non-bonus spending over a couple of very minor issues. But if someone wanted to, I could see it I guess. 

 

I do have a question. Do you guys get rewards redeemed via direct deposit into a non-Citi account? I can't seem to figure out how to do that so I just have them mail a check. Not a huge deal, but that would be very convenient. If it's not possible, that would be one very minor thing I'd like to see changed. Chase and Discover do seem to make the direct deposit very convenient.

 

But at least a check is an option.  I don't actually like it when cards only allow redemption via statement credit. As far as I can tell, that's the only option with BOA and AMEX (please correct if that's wrong). Statement credit is bad with the DC for obvious reasons, but I use the cards for a lot of business expenses. It's much simpler to pay the actual statement balance without any sort of statement credit.

CapOne Secured ($500), Discover It ($1600), BOA Cash Rewards Secured ($500), Amazon Store Card ($2700), Chase Freedom ($6000), Citi DC ($3200), AMEX BCE ($3000), Chase Amazon Visa ($2000)
Message 28 of 70
Regular Contributor

Re: What is your opinion on citi double cash?


@Credit_hawk wrote:

@Kevin86475391 wrote:

I like this card quite a bit. It's consistently been one of my favorites since it first came out. I love category cards and actively enjoy playing that game, but you can't beat a flat 2% on non-cat spending.

 

My biggest beef with the DC was that it was a Citi card and I've had some very poor customer service experiences with Citi over the years. The DC was worth dealing with Citi though because it was such a great card. I eventually did get the Blispay so that I would have a 2% option that isn't Citi, and I do now use it more than the DC and quite like their online account management (significantly better than Citi's), but I actively still use the DC too, just not quite as much.

 

I agree that starting limit on the DC is typically low. My other cards were 10K+ when I got the DC, but the DC started much lower...I don't remember exactly what anymore, somewhere between 2-5K I think. Anyway, after 6 months I did a HP and requested and got 10K. I didn't want to inch my way up with SP and I virtually never have more than 1-3 HPs on my reports at any given time, so it wasn't a big deal to just use an HP. After that I requested and got a SP CLI once, just for giggles really. They bumped it from 10K to $12,600, which I thought was very solid and generous for a SP. However, I haven't asked again because honestly I just don't really need another CLI (I've quit seeking CLIs on all my accounts). My utilization is low, I don't use the card THAT much, and PIF. So no need for more. But anyway, while I agree it started low, I had no trouble growing it as much as I was interested in growing it after 6 months.

 

I also agree with other posters in that the redemption time frame and process isn't really a big deal to me. I'd be annoyed if it had to be redeemed in exact $25 increments - because that's just stupid - but I'm fine with the threshold and don't really care how long it takes to post to my account as long as I get it. That said, Blispay's automatic credit at the end of every cycle is pretty sweet!

 

Regarding BT offers on the DC, I've never done one, but they send them to me ALL THE TIME. I'm getting offers from them and BofA every time I turn around.

 

As far as APR, I don't know what mine is offhand and PIF anyway, but I'm quite sure it's comparable to most of my other rewards cards (Chase, Discover, BofA) and I know they do beat Blispay's APR.

 

Anyway, it's my personal opinion that a solid 2% card is a great addition to most people's wallets and I think the DC is excellent. Blispay or Fidelity may be better for a given individual, but it comes down to particular needs and preferences. Personally I'd hate to choose between the DC and Blispay and am glad I have both, but I think I might still lean DC even though I like Blispay a tad better, because yeah, a well established, giant bank like Citi does make me more confident in long-term viability than a new startup like Blispay.

 


Well said. I'd be curious to hear some of the customer service issues some have experienced though.


I've dealt with Citi customer service, and they were fine. The rep did not speak English as a first language, so we had some small issues there, but it was fine. The issue I need to get worked out got worked out. Now, it probably wasn't Discover customer service level stellar. Discover really has been a joy to deal with every time I have. 

CapOne Secured ($500), Discover It ($1600), BOA Cash Rewards Secured ($500), Amazon Store Card ($2700), Chase Freedom ($6000), Citi DC ($3200), AMEX BCE ($3000), Chase Amazon Visa ($2000)
Message 29 of 70
Super Contributor

Re: What is your opinion on citi double cash?


@PapasChileHuevos wrote:

I love it. Any complaining about the DC seems like it's stretching it a bit. As others have said, what are the alternatives for an unlimited 2% card? Blispay and Fidelity both have some issues (moreso Blispay, it sounds like).

 

I'm certainly not going to use a 1.5% card for non-bonus spending over a couple of very minor issues. But if someone wanted to, I could see it I guess. 

 

I do have a question. Do you guys get rewards redeemed via direct deposit into a non-Citi account? I can't seem to figure out how to do that so I just have them mail a check. Not a huge deal, but that would be very convenient. If it's not possible, that would be one very minor thing I'd like to see changed. Chase and Discover do seem to make the direct deposit very convenient.

 

But at least a check is an option.  I don't actually like it when cards only allow redemption via statement credit. As far as I can tell, that's the only option with BOA and AMEX (please correct if that's wrong). Statement credit is bad with the DC for obvious reasons, but I use the cards for a lot of business expenses. It's much simpler to pay the actual statement balance without any sort of statement credit.


It is possible but it has to be an account which you've recently used as an account from which to make online payments on the card.


Total revolving limits 639500 (558000 reporting)
Message 30 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.