cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your take on Churning Credit Cards?

tag
JonStur
Established Contributor

Re: What is your take on Churning Credit Cards?

That's a lot of work....

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 31 of 74
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Right.  For small amounts of churn, you may be able to meet the spending requirements with normal spending, but often manufacturing spend is the easier route.

Longtimelurker is the Yoda master of manufactured spending...lol  Robot Very Happy He has a strategy that works well and knows what he's doing.  Of course, as with anything, this may not fit everyone's niche in churning CCs.

Nah, not really!  Just want to make sure people are aware that it is a viable option...

Message 32 of 74
vagrants
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

And if you cash out each month, even getting your account closed isn't that big of a deal if you are making a big profit prior to shutdown.  Yes, you will probably get blacklisted by the issuer for a long time, so focus more on issuers you don't care about.

But obviously people should only do what they are comfortable with, which for some means no credit cards at all.

I agree it is doable and someday I might try it.  But it does require a decent amount of extra planning, switching cards around so as not to appear suspicous, and planning the right cards to get the maximum points for the minimum amount of effort.

Not sure that's the case!  For my $10K a month, it's nothing more than buying 20VR over the month at CVS (where I go anyway) all on one credit card.  For those doing much bigger amounts, avoiding suspicion is unimportant (because you cannot!), you just maximize your gain and cash out until (and if) you are stopped.

Again, not advocating this for everyone.  But it is profitable, and no-one forced the banks to offer high bonuses!

20 VRs on one CC...

AMEX Cash Rebate (this isn't Costco, older version of Blue Cash), AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX BCP, AMEX SPG (personal), Barclay Sallie Mae Plat MC, BBVA Compass NBA AMEX (No AF), Capital One QuickSilver VISA Sig, Capital One QuickSilver World MC, 2x Chase Freedom VISA Sig, Chase Ink Bold World Elite MC, Citi Dividend AMEX/World MC, Citi Double Cash, Citi Hilton VISA Sig, Discover More, Discover It, Fidelity AMEX, Huntington Voice World MC, MyPoints Rewards VISA, 2x US Bank Cash+ VISA Sig
Message 33 of 74
JMills
Frequent Contributor

Please explain to me what is manfacture spending? Why do you by Vanilla cards and Bluebirds, explain to me the process and what it all means

Thanks

Starting Score: EX: 705 EQ: 711 TU: 750 01/06/2014
Current Score: EX: 673 EQ: 673 TU: 643 05/06/2020

Last App: 05/06/202020 / In the Garden Until: 12/31/2024

Desired Scores EQ 800 EX 800 TU 800

PSCEU $20,000 Navy Signature $6,600 Navy Rewards $2,500
Message 34 of 74
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@vagrants wrote:

20 VRs on one CC...

Yes, over a month.  CVS allows you to purchase $5K at a time, so you could do this in two visits.  I never purchase more than $1K at a time.   All on the Citi TYP 5x as that is the only card I have that gives the needed rewards.

There are people spending 5-10x this on the same card.  For whatever reason, Citi has stopped shutting people down (and in some cases returning some of the points they took when they shut people down earlier).  Instead they stopped offering the card, which is probably the least troublesome way for them to proceed.

Message 35 of 74
vagrants
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@vagrants wrote:
20 VRs on one CC...

Yes, over a month.  CVS allows you to purchase $5K at a time, so you could do this in two visits.  I never purchase more than $1K at a time.   All on the Citi TYP 5x as that is the only card I have that gives the needed rewards.

There are people spending 5-10x this on the same card.  For whatever reason, Citi has stopped shutting people down (and in some cases returning some of the points they took when they shut people down earlier).  Instead they stopped offering the card, which is probably the least troublesome way for them to proceed.

Your excuse doesn't matter to me. Still 20 VRs on a single card per month. Since you are so greedy, an idea of 'spreading' didn't occur to you.

AMEX Cash Rebate (this isn't Costco, older version of Blue Cash), AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX BCP, AMEX SPG (personal), Barclay Sallie Mae Plat MC, BBVA Compass NBA AMEX (No AF), Capital One QuickSilver VISA Sig, Capital One QuickSilver World MC, 2x Chase Freedom VISA Sig, Chase Ink Bold World Elite MC, Citi Dividend AMEX/World MC, Citi Double Cash, Citi Hilton VISA Sig, Discover More, Discover It, Fidelity AMEX, Huntington Voice World MC, MyPoints Rewards VISA, 2x US Bank Cash+ VISA Sig
Message 36 of 74
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@vagrants wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@vagrants wrote:
20 VRs on one CC...

Your excuse doesn't matter to me. Still 20 VRs on a single card per month. Since you are so greedy, an idea of 'spreading' didn't occur to you.

IMO, I don't view it as "greedy" but everyone has their opinion.  Risky, perhaps.  At the end of the day, he's just maximizing the viable benefits/rewards on his card(s).  I'm sure that his strategy is pretty solid, and as he has conveyed in his earlier posts, churning cards is not something for everyone.

Message 37 of 74
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@vagrants wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@vagrants wrote:
20 VRs on one CC...

a)  I was explaining what I did, not excusing, and I believe your post is unnecessarily rude.  I am not looking for your approval.

b) Spreading across cards makes no sense if you don't need to.  Yes, it MIGHT minimize risk, although it appears that Citi had a zero tolerance mode so one was too many, but if I don't mind the card being shut down, I wish to maximize rewards.  Perhaps people should use cash rather than rewards credit cards for some portion of their purchases to stop being greedy.

Message 38 of 74
myjourney
Super Contributor

@vagrants wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@vagrants wrote:
20 VRs on one CC...

Play nice Smiley Happy

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 39 of 74
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@JMills wrote:

Please explain to me what is manfacture spending? Why do you by Vanilla cards and Bluebirds, explain to me the process and what it all means"

Thanks

Manufactured spending is basically buying "stuff" on a rewards-generating credit card and then getting most of money back, so you can repeat the process, i.e. you are not buying things for real use.   You can do this to quickly reach minimum spend for a bonus on a card, or to generate a profit.

So the key is that once you buy the thing, there is some easy way of converting it into cash without too many fees.  For a simple explanation of one approach, see, for example http://travelwithgrant.com/bluebird/vanilla-reload-card-load-bluebird/   Lots of explanations, some wrong, all over the internet, but this one has pretty pictures to avoid one common pitfall, buying the wrong type of Vanilla card! 

Message 40 of 74
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.