cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your take on Churning Credit Cards?

tag
vagrants
Regular Contributor

Re: What is your take on Churning Credit Cards?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@vagrants wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@vagrants wrote:

@Oh, so, I'm a beginner. Well, you MS masters are not mentioning VR is not the only option to load the BB. Any VISA/MC GCs with PIN @ WM can do the trick. Only a damn $1 more from the VR.

And, I did mean ways of greedy. 20 on a 12-month "promotional" Citi CC and not leaving any for anybody. Plus, if the stock gets low, you type of people hide the stock somewhere in the store, so that only you can benefit.

a) Not really a problem in this area (Boston western suburbs), the stores are generally well-stocked with VRs.  I know this isn't the case everywhere, but it is here.  FWIW, I don't hide VRs.  Not sure why you believe that you can tell I do.

b) Did anyone say this was the only way?  Certainly not me, I have mentioned GC/Walmart many times on this forum.   For me, as it is cheaper and avoids a trip to Walmart, which is not close,  VRs are the way to go.

c) Your argument is also slightly contradictory.   As VRs aren't needed, using them up isn't such a big issue, right?

I don't get your attitude, but that's OK.

You recommeded to do YOUR WAY, crazy 20 VRs on a single card. If you are gonna give advice, give other options to consider. That's all.

As I said in this thread: For a simple explanation of one approach, see, for example http://travelwithgrant.com/bluebird/vanilla-reload-card-load-bluebird/ 

In: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Using-Credit-cards-to-pay-bills-to-maximize-rewards/m-p... (message 17)

That said: it's pretty simple if you have the right stuff.   In the simplest form, using Bluebird, you need

a) A Bluebird card, free with no credit check

b) A credit card that pays more than 1% (e.g. quicksilver, BCP/BCE) at a supermarket or drug store or gas station etc

c) The hardest:  one of these stores that allows you to buy Vanilla Reloads or Visa/MC gift cards with a credit card.

d) If buying gift cards (because Vanilla Reloads aren't available), access to Walmart

Then, with detail available elsewhere, you buy the Vanilla Reload or card at the store.   VR costs $3.95 for up to $500, GC usually $4.95 to $6.95  for $500 If it a VR, you can load it onto your BB online for free.   If it is a gift card, you set a pin (instructions on the gift card) take it to Walmart and load it for free.

So I don't repeat all alternatives every post, sorry about that.

@I don't need your advices since I have no intention of reading it fully. And, nobody should need your advices. A quick glance told me everything. Again, even with VISA/MC GCs with PIN, your option is to load into VR. There are other options. And, there may be a  MC GC problem people may encouter @ WM, etc., etc. None of the cons are there. And, BB is not the only option for VRs. VRs can be used for other things. What options are there for people with RiteAids?, etc., etc. And, (c) is not the hardest.

AMEX Cash Rebate (this isn't Costco, older version of Blue Cash), AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX BCP, AMEX SPG (personal), Barclay Sallie Mae Plat MC, BBVA Compass NBA AMEX (No AF), Capital One QuickSilver VISA Sig, Capital One QuickSilver World MC, 2x Chase Freedom VISA Sig, Chase Ink Bold World Elite MC, Citi Dividend AMEX/World MC, Citi Double Cash, Citi Hilton VISA Sig, Discover More, Discover It, Fidelity AMEX, Huntington Voice World MC, MyPoints Rewards VISA, 2x US Bank Cash+ VISA Sig
Message 51 of 74
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

Editing to stay on topic - Im ok with the idea of churning cards, most major credit card companies know about churning and the ones who care have put in restrictions to stop it (i.e Chase) I think the fact that companies like CITI hasn't put in a specific clause to stop it implies they are ok with the idea; at least somewhat. 
Message 52 of 74
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@vagrants wrote:

@I don't need your advices since I have no intention of reading it fully. And, nobody should need your advices. A quick glance told me everything. Again, even with VISA/MC GCs with PIN, your option is to load into VR. There are other options. And, there may be a  MC GC problem people may encouter @ WM, etc., etc. None of the cons are there. And, (c) is not the hardest.

So you must have missed the last part of the referenced post:

There are lots of variants involving cards other than Bluebird or VR, buying money orders at Walmart instead of loading BB etc , and lots of ways to mess up, which is why you should read Flyer Talk Manufactured Spend forum to see what is happening.

And yes, no-one needs my advice, they can ignore everything, and that's fine. This is a forum. You seem to have edited your post several times raising and then deleting various points, so I am responding only to the quoted version above.   

But I'm not sure we are usefully communicating, so I will stop.

Message 53 of 74
vagrants
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

You seem to have edited your post several times raising and then deleting various points, so I am responding only to the quoted version above.   

Yes, when I first write, pretty much a rough draft. If I really care, I go back and re-read then post. After that, I think about things again...if need to, I edit. I think about things too much.

AMEX Cash Rebate (this isn't Costco, older version of Blue Cash), AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX BCP, AMEX SPG (personal), Barclay Sallie Mae Plat MC, BBVA Compass NBA AMEX (No AF), Capital One QuickSilver VISA Sig, Capital One QuickSilver World MC, 2x Chase Freedom VISA Sig, Chase Ink Bold World Elite MC, Citi Dividend AMEX/World MC, Citi Double Cash, Citi Hilton VISA Sig, Discover More, Discover It, Fidelity AMEX, Huntington Voice World MC, MyPoints Rewards VISA, 2x US Bank Cash+ VISA Sig
Message 54 of 74
myjourney
Super Contributor

@JMills wrote:

Thank You all for your expertise in the matter, in the end we have the right to make the decision that best fit our needs at the moment. I am sure they are several way to this, but what matters is what benefits you and your money. I personally have no problem with someone churning, I am not in the position to churn since I am rebuilding. However I will look into. Sometimes on these formuns people can be mean with their views, if you dont agree with it, thats fine. We can agree to disagree. Dofferennt Strokes for Different folks, but as Myjourney said lets play nice. I for one learn from the posts everyone contributed to the questions. So thanks. We are all here helping each other become better in the way we handle debt. What works for one, may not work the otherSmiley Happy

From OP herself (blue highlighted)

OP asked for info I can only speak for myself still learning how to churn so I read these threads for all info not one view or the other but all viable documented facts about the proper way to do this if needed.

That being said we all owe it to OP as well as each other to continue to be respect each other view and opinions and her thirst for knowledge which is what makes this the best forum around by far. 

We don't do personal attacks of any kind here and offer help to each and every person.

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 55 of 74
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Discussions about vanilla reloads always brings out the ugly side of internet forum. This thread is looking like something you'd see on flyertalk.  

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 56 of 74
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

@JMills wrote:

I have been reading a lot, and I find this blog called Travel Sort and they are really big on churning CCs, what is your take on this? Are you for it or against it. They even give you step by step on how to do it with certain CCs. Many cards I see are the ones that is discuss in this forumn. Are you a churner? Will you not get backlisted if you keep doing this? Or is it really succesful?

Here it is

A Beginners's Guide to Miles and Points

http://travelsort.com/blog/beginners-guide-to-miles-points

Earn 1 Million Miles and Points in a Year Without Flying

http://travelsort.com/blog/earn-1-million-miles-and-points-in-a-year-without-flying

I think if your credit score is good, you're paying in full every month, you're able to meet the minimum spends, and you can organize all your cards and due dates well enough, then its fine. I follow Noob Traveler who writes a lot about this and seems to be an expert at it, and he's gotten some really killer hotels and first class air tickets due to the miles and points he and his wife accumulate.

I applied for quite a few cards in the past year for the miles and points, but I don't feel comfortable doing this on a continuous basis.  I'm marinating the cards I have and will likely close some or PC some to non-AF cards in the next year.  My AAOA took quite a hit and I want to get it back up.

But as I said, if you're paying in full and can manage applying for (and closing some) cards every 3 to 6 months, you can really rack up the miles and points. To each his/her own.

Message 57 of 74
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@parakleet wrote:

Discussions about vanilla reloads always brings out the ugly side of internet forum. This thread is looking like something you'd see on flyertalk.  

+1. This is why I avoid flyertalk whenever possible. I've never seen a bigger collection of whining, overly-argumentative, self-entitled cheapskates in my life.

I mean I'm definitely not a fan of 5x+VRs, but I also know better than to waste time arguing about it with people (who I don't even know) over the internet.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 58 of 74
mnscoutNYC

@CreditScholar wrote:

@parakleet wrote:

+1. This is why I avoid flyertalk whenever possible. I've never seen a bigger collection of whining, overly-argumentative, self-entitled cheapskates in my life.

I mean I'm definitely not a fan of 5x+VRs, but I also know better than to waste time arguing about it with people (who I don't even know) over the internet.

LOL, I've been lurking here for a very long time, but I just had to register when I saw this. As a 10+ year Flyertalk member, I can't say I disagree. A lot of folks on FT act like that, and some can be outright nasty to newbies and feel as if they belong to an exclusive country club. Having said that, FT is an enormously useful resource for free or cheap travel, and I honestly would've never been able to travel the way I do if it weren't for Flyertalk. And there are still a lot of those who are more than happy to share knowledge or their experiences. 

A disclaimer: I don't own FT or have any financial interest in it; well, I wishSmiley Sad

Anyhow, on the subject of churning. I consider myself a relatively heavy churner, although it's not exactly the right term. I normally apply for 5-6 cards 3 times a year (4 if an especially good card comes along). I do not do MS other than to meet spend requirements. The reason for that is, it's extremely hard to come up with VR in NYC, and the nearest Walmart is 45-60 min away. Too much work. So, my only concern is sign up bonuses. I don't care for 3x, 4x, or 5x either. Again, too much work, and besides, I'm always busy meeting the spend.

A couple of thoughts for anyone who's interested in Churning 101. Understand, I don't want to come across as condescending. Just becouse you guys belong to this forum means you know way more about credit than regular folks. Still, churning must be taken seriously, and newbies need to have some protective measures in place. 

1. It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway. In order to play this game successfully one should never carry a balance and must be able to meet the spend. The spend reauirements have gone up considerably over the years I've been doing this. It means you always gotta have more money coming in than going out in order to pay in full every month.

2. The good news is: I've been doing it for 10 years, the last 4-5 pretty heavily. While my score does flactuate, it always seems to remain in the 735-780 range. I could further optimize it by paying off  balances long before the due date, but I really don't see the point. I almost never get denied.

3. I only cancel a credit card when the AF is due, that is if I decide to drop the card. There are some AF cards I'm happy to pay for due to their benefits. I discourage anyone to cancel the card immeadiately upon meeting the spend. Banks don't like it, and some issuers like Chase will claw back your miles if you close within 6 months (at least they say they will).

4. My AAoA has shrunk over the years. It's true. I obtain my first credit card in 1994, I believe. Yet, my AAoA is only 5.5 years. Am I concerned about it? No, at least not yet. AAoA is only a secondary factor, and it's much less important than UR.

5. Higher UR means that churning indeed may help you build your credit history. I know it sounds crazy, but higher UR beats the hell out of losing those initial 4-5 points from a hard pull ding. 

6. Churning requries some discipline and reasonable organizational skills. Automate your CC payments, and keep a spreadsheet. I also use Yodlee, but they often fail to update.

7. In terms of getting multiple cards--if you have a relatively thin file, I would say Amex, BoA and Chase cards are the easiest to get; Barclays, Citi and US Bank are the hardest. However, Citi cards are easy to churn (in an original sense of the word) with an exception of AAdvantage that takes about 18-24 mths. Amex wants your account to be close for 12 months before you can get a new bonus on the same card, BoA is normally very easy, but most of their good cards have AF. Chase will usually take quite a long time to "forget" you. It seems to be around 2 years from the account closure, but there is some anecdotal evidence some folks can get their bonus eariler.  

If you have any questions just shoot. Nice to meet you all! 

Message 59 of 74
myjourney
Super Contributor

@mnscoutNYC wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@parakleet wrote:

LOL, I've been lurking here for a very long time, but I just had to register when I saw this. As a 10+ year Flyertalk member, I can't say I disagree. A lot of folks on FT act like that, and some can be outright nasty to newbies and feel as if they belong to an exclusive country club. Having said that, FT is an enormously useful resource for free or cheap travel, and I honestly would've never been able to travel the way I do if it weren't for Flyertalk. And there are still a lot of those who are more than happy to share knowledge or their experiences. 

A disclaimer: I don't own FT or have any financial interest in it; well, I wishSmiley Sad

Anyhow, on the subject of churning. I consider myself a relatively heavy churner, although it's not exactly the right term. I normally apply for 5-6 cards 3 times a year (4 if an especially good card comes along). I do not do MS other than to meet spend requirements. The reason for that is, it's extremely hard to come up with VR in NYC, and the nearest Walmart is 45-60 min away. Too much work. So, my only concern is sign up bonuses. I don't care for 3x, 4x, or 5x either. Again, too much work, and besides, I'm always busy meeting the spend.

A couple of thoughts for anyone who's interested in Churning 101. Understand, I don't want to come across as condescending. Just becouse you guys belong to this forum means you know way more about credit than regular folks. Still, churning must be taken seriously, and newbies need to have some protective measures in place. 

1. It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway. In order to play this game successfully one should never carry a balance and must be able to meet the spend. The spend reauirements have gone up considerably over the years I've been doing this. It means you always gotta have more money coming in than going out in order to pay in full every month.

2. The good news is: I've been doing it for 10 years, the last 4-5 pretty heavily. While my score does flactuate, it always seems to remain in the 735-780 range. I could further optimize it by paying off  balances long before the due date, but I really don't see the point. I almost never get denied.

3. I only cancel a credit card when the AF is due, that is if I decide to drop the card. There are some AF cards I'm happy to pay for due to their benefits. I discourage anyone to cancel the card immeadiately upon meeting the spend. Banks don't like it, and some issuers like Chase will claw back your miles if you close within 6 months (at least they say they will).

4. My AAoA has shrunk over the years. It's true. I obtain my first credit card in 1994, I believe. Yet, my AAoA is only 5.5 years. Am I concerned about it? No, at least not yet. AAoA is only a secondary factor, and it's much less important than UR.

5. Higher UR means that churning indeed may help you build your credit history. I know it sounds crazy, but higher UR beats the hell out of losing those initial 4-5 points from a hard pull ding. 

6. Churning requries some discipline and reasonable organizational skills. Automate your CC payments, and keep a spreadsheet. I also use Yodlee, but they often fail to update.

7. In terms of getting multiple cards--if you have a relatively thin file, I would say Amex, BoA and Chase cards are the easiest to get; Barclays, Citi and US Bank are the hardest. However, Citi cards are easy to churn (in an original sense of the word) with an exception of AAdvantage that takes about 18-24 mths. Amex wants your account to be close for 12 months before you can get a new bonus on the same card, BoA is normally very easy, but most of their good cards have AF. Chase will usually take quite a long time to "forget" you. It seems to be around 2 years from the account closure, but there is some anecdotal evidence some folks can get their bonus eariler.  

If you have any questions just shoot. Nice to meet you all! 

Welcome to the forum 

Thanks for sharing I found it very interesting indeed and hope to see more of you around here 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 60 of 74
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.