cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What made you start seeking better and/or high limit cards?

tag
Simply827
Established Contributor

Re: What made you start seeking better and/or high limit cards?

Actually this forum made me decide to seek better cards with higher limits.

For some reason, I thought I would have to stay with my crappy rebuilder cards forever. Perhaps because people always tell you to not apply for lots of credit, blah, blah.

But I came here and read stories of other people who might have had bad credit previously and now have great cards. And I realized, I wasn't destined to stay in sub-prime land forever. And then Chase sent me a mailer for Chase Freedom. I swear I was on top of the world that day. I felt wanted and deserving and that was proof of how far I've come in my credit rebuilding.

I still have a ways to go. My scores aren't where I'd like them to be, and I still don't have 5K in total credit yet :sigh: But in the next year, I hope to obtain my first 5K credit line and have scores over 720. 

Thanks to myFICO peeps for giving me a glimpse of Primeville and how to get there Smiley Wink

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 21 of 29
ReaLiLJ
Regular Contributor

hahaha this all started when I applied for my first best buy card and got denied xD My mom then brought me around her very rich friend and I'm telling you this dude had about 25-30 cards. Mostly all amex that he had wrapped in money in a money clip, I didn't get  a good look at the cards but my mom said he always had dates on them, and gave her different cards to use, and said when she could use them, and why it was important that he did this. (What my mom explained to me - what I soon learned to find out that he was piffing, and maximizing his rewards) This experience + my grandpa dying and showing me how important credit was, and my aunt always bragging about her high limits all played a key role into me wanting to have good credit + get one of those nice cards my mom friend had. Then on my journey I stumbled upon this forum and got introduced to a lot of things that I would have not known about if not for these forums. I start researching and becoming very intrigued by how this world works, and how it is solely ran on credit. I start gaining new cards and before you know it when I found out that even though I started off making 18k salary I could have cards up to those limits is when my obsession started! Credit is like crack and now that I make even more money and have good credit and room to leverage I'm always looking for ways to get the best cards with high limits and perks/benefits. It's not only makes you feel super confident, but it gives you buying power/leverage/confidence/ the luxury to most of the time buy expensive things that you would not normally be able to do with a debit card, it comes in handy in very bad emergencies (medical bills, or when your immediate family needs money or need to pay off something pronto) You lose your job and have to live off credit, it just gives you that edge in life! At 19 I can say I make low-median salary but am able to live like a rockstar and not have to worry about interest, paying down something right away with the 0% apr or worrying about the little things in life.
-TrueCreditJunkie super fond of credit, its like crack to a crackhead, if someone asks me about it I'm all ears, and ready to help or do my best to get them in the right place Smiley Wink

Total Page Views2357
Total Messages Read8814
Total Minutes Online7276

I pride myself on being apart of the 700+ club at 19 and what I established for myself coming from a family with poor credit history due to their situations that's what fuels me the most aside of everything else. Smiley Very Happy -LJ

20 Years & 1 Month Young; Total Income: $53k (Credit History): 1.9 years AAOA: 1.0 years
Fico Scores: Exp: 725 (12/4) EQ: 703 (11/13) TU: 736 (12/6) Total Credit Available: 89k
Wallet: AmEx Plat- NPSL | AmEx BCP $10.5K | BestBuy SC $10k | Duck Card $8k | BoFA CR Plat Plus Sig. $5k | Discover IT $6k | Chase Freedom Sig. $7k | CSP Sig. $5k | USBank Cash+ Sig. $5k | Barclays R MC $5k | Chevron Visa $5k | BR Visa $5k | Walmart Discover $4k | DCU Plat Visa $3k | QuickSilver CR $3k | Macy's Store CC/Macy's Amex $2.5k/$3k | BML $1.2k | Citi Divi Plat Visa $500
Open Loans: Sallie Mae SL: ($5.6k) (Def.) Car Loan (Red Devil FR-S): $20k/33k Remaining -Will Pay Off in 2yrs. Advice Welcomed!
Message 22 of 29
jla84
Regular Contributor

It was a natural progression. At first I just wanted a credit card - any card - and after I got that, I wanted a limit at 1K, then once I got that I worked towards 5K, and now I'm working to get all my major bank cards at 10K and above. At first it was just for purchasing power (so I don't have to make multiple payments within one month just to continue using it), and now I can comfortably put all my everyday spending on my cards and still be at 10% total UTL without paying before statements cut. 

So it's part practical reasons and part vanity project/proof that I'm moving ahead in the credit world. Smiley Happy

Starting Score (07/2011): EQ 706 TU 709
Current Score (6/2013): EQ 740 TU 732 EX 740
Goal Score: 750+ on all 3

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 29
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

To me, it's more of a challenge for myself. But my other reason is to be able to get a good deal on a house, car, or anything that requires an excellent credit. I want to be ready for the real life by the time I graduate from college.

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 24 of 29
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

For me it just happened automatically. When I turned 18 I was in this "phase" in life where I wanted to do everything on my own, and without help. I asked to be removed from all cards as an AU, and started building my own credit with my first 1k limit. It was a real change compared to what I was used to before that. Having to pay multiple times per month was a brand new concept for me back then.

I got my first credit card, used it a lot, always PIF, and my limits kept on growing automatically. My classic card turned into a gold, then a platinum, then a signature. I obtained a 2nd card as a backup in case something happened to my main card, and the limit on that started growing as well without much effort. Granted in those days credit was much easier to come by, but to this day I've never had a single derog on any of my cards/reports.

I didn't start actively trying to build a selective CC portfolio until I started travelling a lot more on my own, which was in my mid-20s. At that point CC rewards, no forex and other travel-related benefits came into the spotlight.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 25 of 29
HiLine
Blogger

@CreditScholar wrote:

For me it just happened automatically. When I turned 18 I was in this "phase" in life where I wanted to do everything on my own, and without help. I asked to be removed from all cards as an AU, and started building my own credit with my first 1k limit. It was a real change compared to what I was used to before that. Having to pay multiple times per month was a brand new concept for me back then.

I bet you didn't know the benefits of being an AU back then did you? Smiley Wink

Message 26 of 29
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

I bet you didn't know the benefits of being an AU back then did you? Smiley Wink

I didn't know about any of the benefits of being an AU back then, all I knew is I could charge whatever I wanted on there (up to my monthly limit which I never hit). Even if I did it wouldn't have changed my decision. A lot was changing in my life at the time, and it was mostly ideologically-driven.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 27 of 29
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I don't.   I get offers daily in the mail now.  Feels good, but just don't need it, so off to the shredder they go.  AMEX are the first to the shredder, they denied me during my rebuild, and I don't blame them.  But it does feel good to watch their preapprovals go down the shredder.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 28 of 29
Open123
Super Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

I don't.   I get offers daily in the mail now.  Feels good, but just don't need it, so off to the shredder they go.  AMEX are the first to the shredder, they denied me during my rebuild, and I don't blame them.  But it does feel good to watch their preapprovals go down the shredder.  Smiley Happy

+1

Success is life's "sweetest" revenge.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.