cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What major lender will approve a secured credit card with out a job ?

tag
ShiningDown
Frequent Contributor

Re: What major lender will approve a secured credit card with out a job ?

Thanks for all the advice , you guys are great !

Message 11 of 21
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Good luck to you and your son! Let the board know what you find out, you may help someone down the road that may have the same question.
Message 12 of 21
JMN
Frequent Contributor

@RussianPassion wrote:

Just put self-employed, sales. Done deal.

Which would still require you to put an income figure - if one is unemployed, and does not have income, that would be lying on a credit application - which is, in case anyone is unaware, a Federal crime.

Despite my employment in the banking industry, any and all views contained in this post are purely my own, and do not represent any financial institution, nor constitute as financial or investment guidance or advise.
Message 13 of 21
ShiningDown
Frequent Contributor

I know HSBC said he can get a secured card and also get credit limit increases unlike orchard but it will not up grade to unsecured. Should he take that offer or what? We do live near a US bank do you know what my scores should be to qualify as a co signer .  I have 4 badddies from 2005  7500 limit with 4,000 balance. Probably wont work  with my credit.   

Message 14 of 21
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@cats63 wrote:

I know HSBC said he can get a secured card and also get credit limit increases unlike orchard but it will not up grade to unsecured. Should he take that offer or what? We do live near a US bank do you know what my scores should be to qualify as a co signer .  I have 4 badddies from 2005  7500 limit with 4,000 balance. Probably wont work  with my credit.   

US Bank declined my secured card application for charge-offs.   So co signer may not be a good option.

IMO,Not upgrading to unsecured is not a big deal, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Is your HSBC info current,  They are selling Orchard to Capital One.   They have not said what happens to HSBC logo cards.  My guess is they only keep the cards for their premiere and business customers,  

Message 15 of 21
john398
Senior Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

@cats63 wrote:

US Bank declined my secured card application for charge-offs.   So co signer may not be a good option.

IMO,Not upgrading to unsecured is not a big deal, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Is your HSBC info current,  They are selling Orchard to Capital One.   They have not said what happens to HSBC logo cards.  My guess is they only keep the cards for their premiere and business customers,  

according to this article it des include hsbc logo cards

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/capital-one-hsbc-how-change-affect-customers-1273.php

Affected are 10.3 million holders of HSBC-branded MasterCard and Visa bank cards, 3.3 million holders of General Motors and AFL-CIO cards that are co-branded with HSBC, and 13.6 million holders of credit cards that carry the logos of Best Buy, Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue and 18 other retail firms that co-brand with HSBC.

Message 16 of 21
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@john398 wrote:

@Wolf3 wrote:

@cats63 wrote:

according to this article it des include hsbc logo cards

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/capital-one-hsbc-how-change-affect-customers-1273.php

Affected are 10.3 million holders of HSBC-branded MasterCard and Visa bank cards, 3.3 million holders of General Motors and AFL-CIO cards that are co-branded with HSBC, and 13.6 million holders of credit cards that carry the logos of Best Buy, Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue and 18 other retail firms that co-brand with HSBC.

It also includes Orchard and Household in the sale, but they are not co-brand.   HSBC has been somewhat ambiguous on the HSBC logo cards, so I suspect some of the HSBC logo cards will be included.   I have a HSBC logo secured card but no other accounts with them.   I suspect they don't want to keep me. 

Message 17 of 21
ShiningDown
Frequent Contributor

Just a quick update. My son went ahead and filled out the secured card application from hsbc secured card, he sent it in the mail tuesday morning so it should be a few weeks untill we hear from them. I will post a new message when I hear something.Should I post it here or on a new post?   He is a authorized user on 3 of my accounts including hsbc card. He put no employment  for income. Thats the part that makes me think they will not approve him even though over the phone the lender assured me it should work because its his own money he's putting up. I would call  hsbc and ask more but they keep me on the phone and try to sell me products and if you say no thank you they just repeat everything a few more times. That not good because this is every time I call. Stresses me out !      Check back in a week or so for update.    

Message 18 of 21
ShiningDown
Frequent Contributor

He will get his card today or tomorrow,it worked.    This is a secured hsbc card not orchard.              householdbank.com  7.99 apr. Yearly fee =  35 dollars a year , first year free.

Message 19 of 21
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Congrats to you and your son! If he takes good care of that card, he'll be getting other offers in no time.
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.