Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What next (another NFCU CC?!)

tag
SSgtUSMC
New Contributor

What next (another NFCU CC?!)

So I have been working to get a few things corrected on my credit reports the past few months in addition to paying off some of my debt.  I have made progress on cleaning up 2 of 3 credit reports so am wishing to ask about some feedback on possibly applying for another CC.

Fico 8

TU: 752

EX: 748

EQ: 657 (I have a CO account that is due to fall off on Nov '19 and is the ONLY negative item on my report)

NFCU Amex 7,000/25,000 (opened Apr '19)

NFCU Visa 4,000/15,300

NFCU LOC 2,000/10,000

AAFES 2,000/8,200

*Although I have balances across all accts, this was done purposely to keep all of them under 30% utilization.  I am planning to have all debt paid off by November '19 (I was down to 4k owed in May but have had to increase by almost 9k the past two months)

So my question:  I want to open another account and am looking at NFCU Flagship or NFCU Platinum.  Should I stick with NFCU or pursue something different?  I just read on a different post that NFCU has caps on credit available to a consumer (I have 50k across 2 credit cards and LOC).

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What next (another NFCU CC?!)

Honestly I would add another lender to your wallet. NFCU is fantastic but putting all of your eggs in one basket is never advisable long term. 

Message 2 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Once you get your debts to zero, then go go your 3rd Navy card. They obviously like your profile. But yes, please diversify your profile just so you can spread your wingsSmiley Happy. Thanks for your Service Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 10
SSgtUSMC
New Contributor

Thank you for feedback.  Are there any cards what you recommend?  I am more interested in low APR and maybe cashback options. 

I am going to ask for an increase on my NFCU Visa and possibly pursue the NFCU Platinum if I can't find another card (NFCU has always treated me well).

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Platinum is one of the best low APR cards around but I would only get it now if you have need of the 0% balance transfer for 12 months. Otherwise I would get another card. 

As for lenders, I personally would check prequals with AMEX and Disco unless you can wait until all your reports are clean and then go for Chase. 

Message 5 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Excellent cashback cards i would recommend would be Citi DC, PayPal MC 2% CB, and loathe me to suggest it, maybe check out Penfed to see if they like your profile.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Excellent cashback cards i would recommend would be Citi DC, PayPal MC 2% CB, and loathe me to suggest it, maybe check out Penfed to see if they like your profile.

PenDread with a CO on EQ? Since the score is so low, I'm assuming it's unpaid which FICO9 actually hits very hard for. I would put off any apps with them until at least the CO drops. 

I left out Citi because of the CO. They like to pull EQ as well. 

Message 7 of 10
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
 maybe check out Penfed to see if they like your profile.

Wow, The heat must have got to @AJC Today.Smiley Indifferent

Message 8 of 10
CreditSage
Regular Contributor

Does chase instantly denie you if there is a CO?

Current Open: NFCU AMEX $6,800 CL | Chase Freedom $3,800 CL | QS1 $1,300 CL | BankAmericard $24,000 CL (AU) | NFCU SSL $3,000 |
FICO 8 EXP, EQ, TU: 675-715 (depending on Utl.) | AAoA 3 Years 3 Months | AoYA 0 Months

Closed: American Honda Finance Installment $16,000 paid satisfactorily | Capital One Secured $700 paid satisfactorily | Wells Fargo credit card $3,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015) | Bank of America credit card $1,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015)
Message 9 of 10
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@CreditSage wrote:

Does chase instantly denie you if there is a CO?

Chase is a prime bank that is able to be very selective as to who they offer credit to. A CO is a significant derogatory and Chase would most likely not approve any CC app with it reporting.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.