Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What next

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What next

Hello. New to the forums! But i have question. So i have a rent reporters tradeline that just reported last week. Its reporting a 0 balance plus added 2 years to my AAOA . My question is what card should i go after now?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What next

Well the community will need a bit more info to work with...

What are you’re current Fico scores ?

Which cards do you currently have limits/balances.

Which rewards categories make sense for you ? As in what does you’re spending look like.

How many current inquires do you have ?

There’s a lot more to it then scores and age of accounts.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well the community will need a bit more info to work with...

What are you’re current Fico scores ?
My score is at a 680

Which cards do you currently have limits/balances.
I only have rent reporters right now and my rent is 1400 and the balance shows 0

Which rewards categories make sense for you ? As in what does you’re spending look like.
Mostly groceries, lyft and hotel stays

How many current inquires do you have ?
Message 3 of 9
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Wow that opens a lof of doors for you then I wouldn't know per the Hotel/Lyft part but I would imagine a card with Good travel/grocerie like a Cash back type reward would work great for you also try with your local Bank/CU and start there too Smiley Happy     But honestly I would start with your Bank especially if they have certain CC that offer Rewards/Cash back etc

Message 4 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

You're probably going to need to start with secured credit cards.
Discover has a good one, and it graduates.
Same for Citi and US Bank (there is annual fee, though).
Also, check your local credit unions and see if they have starter cards. Membership is required for CUs.
Another option is Capital One but only if offered unsecured Platinum card. Their secured card is okay but does not graduate. Still, a decent option.
Another one is Open Sky because of no HP and very few have ever got declined, but that was because of identity verification

Good luck!
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is your education background and field that you are in? If you have a degree and in or are starting in a good field, you may not need to go the secured route.

Message 6 of 9
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello. New to the forums! But i have question. So i have a rent reporters tradeline that just reported last week. Its reporting a 0 balance plus added 2 years to my AAOA . My question is what card should i go after now?

Hi and welcome

Okay, so I'm assuming you're just starting out--a newbie at myFICO and a newbie in the credit world. Is this correct? 

So, you've come to the right place. Kudos to you. 

Is there anyone that can add you as an AU to a bank card they've had for years, in good standing, and low UT. If yes, that should be your first stop. 

Next, 680 doesnt tell us anything. Is that a FICO score? If yes, where did you get it from? If no, we need your 3 FICO scores. 

What are your AAOA and AoYA?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would try the pre qualify on Discover / Amex / capitol one / chase and see what pops up. But being you have a thin file you may have to start with a secured card.

Is there a possibility of being added as an authorized user on a family members credit card ? One with low utilization and no derogs ?
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can tell you that you can remove Chase from that list, and probably Amex too. Amex can be thin file friendly but I doubt to a file THAT thin. Chase is gonna be a No also. CapOne is likely, Disco maybe (more likely on the secured card). The options @Remedios mentioned are great starting points.

OP, go to www.creditchecktotal.com, buy a seven day trial for $1, get your three FICO scores, and cancel the trial before you’re put onto the recurring subscription. Post up your scores for each bureau and we can help you more from there.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.