cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What % of your limit can you take out as cash?

tag
tparks5961
Regular Contributor

What % of your limit can you take out as cash?

Not that I would ever use it, but I was just wondering what % of your credit limit can you take out as cash?

Here are a few key DPs' from my cards

Discover $5000 Limit, $50 cash advance limit

Regions $5500 Limit ,$1650 Cash advance limit  (30%)

New Synovus card Limit $20000.00,  $10,000 Cash advance limit (50%)

I thought this was pretty crazy 50% of my credit limit can be taken out as a cash advance.

Last Inquiry 12/23/2022 Ally Bank Mortgage
Fico Score Progression: 10/1/2018 EQ 530 TU 535 EX 540 | 1/10/2023 EQ 785 TU 789 EX 787
Message 1 of 57
56 REPLIES 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What % of your limit can you take out as cash?

NFCU alone lets me take $3810 on one card and $1200 on the other (30%)

SSFCU lets me take 100% ($5K)

DCU lets me take 100% ($1K)

Thats 10.6% of my TCL with just my CU cards.

I haven't checked the others because they all would cost me a fortune to do and the banks would likely close my cards where the CUs actually encourage use of the feature. 

Message 2 of 57
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@tparks5961 wrote:

Mine was a whopping $50 too.($3k cl)   Dh's $800 ($6.5k cl)  So I called them up one day and asked if I was only good for $50 and why. lol!  CSR was like, what do you want more for?  I said I was curious if that's how Disco views me......ya know, $50.   After the CSR put me on hold she then transferred me to another rep to see why $50.  Then the rep said go to Walmart and pull out $120 (?) on a daily basis.  I was like why?  I don't need it I just wanted to know if that was normal.  Is that what the Algorithm thinks I'm good for?  Never got an official answer but I got a butt load of offers....I closed it right then and there.  I didn't want the card any longer, (starter card) and it was annoying being rejected so much by that luv button. So I figured I better close it before they close it and mark it as "excessive luv button abuse" ...just kidding, curiosity killed the cat.  All my others cards are higher ca limits (1.5 to 2.1k) so that makes me feel a little better; in an odd way.Smiley Tongue

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 3 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

In looking at my cards 20% seems the norm for cash. However, like many things in credit, income, dti, performance and so on likely will have some effect on the cash limit. My guess on account opening it is YMMV? A person's profile? In a more detailed review of cash limits, a few of my cards allow virtually the entire limit in cash. Surprised and Chase was one of them.

Message 4 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GApeachy wrote:

@tparks5961 wrote:

Mine was a whoping $50 too.($3k cl)   Dh's $800 ($6.5k cl)  So I called them up one day and asked if I was only good for $50 and why. lol!  CSR was like, what do you want more for?  I said I was curious if that's how Disco views me......ya know, $50.   After the CSR put me on hold she then transferred me to another rep to see why $50.  Then the rep said go to Walmart and pull out $120 (?) on a daily basis.  I was like why?  I don't need it I just wanted to know if that was normal.  Is that what the Algorithm thinks I'm good for?  Never got an official answer but I got a butt load of offers....I closed it right then and there.  I didn't want the card any longer, (starter card) and it was annoying being rejected so much by that luv button. So I figured I better close it before they close it and mark it as "excessive luv button abuse" ...just kidding, curiosity killed the cat.  All my others cards are higher ca limits (1.5 to 2.1k) so that makes me feel a little better; in an odd way.Smiley Tongue

You know Georgia Peach, why $50 cash limit? Sure seems a low and unusual amount? My 2 cents worth? Smiley Sad So you don't feel alone, Citi Bank has one of my card's cash limit set at $180 and told me if I didn't like it to close the account as they would not budge (great customer relations).

Message 5 of 57
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous

I think Disco was trying in a polite way to say, "Nope you not worth more than $50 and you're lucky you got that, we just can't go no lower."

OP I'm not saying that's the truth for anyone....it's just my version, my take in a joking kinda way.  Hit the luv button with patience, enjoy a good card and who knows, maybe the ca limit will rise over time. Not that it really matters at all, I guessSmiley Tongue

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 6 of 57
tcbofade
Super Contributor

I think this one varies from lender to lender AND profile to profile.

As mentioned, NFCU will allow 30% of your credit line to be used as cash advance.

For DW and I, that's nearly $37k in cash advance available.  Smiley Happy   

No, I don't intend to ever use it, but it's nice to know that I could.  

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 7 of 57
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Peachy, dont confuse the CA with what you could take out daily at a Walmart or Sams. One , the $50 is sn actual cash advance which these bsnks frown on, the other is treated like a regular purchase. I am only able to take out $60 at Sams with my Disco in comparison to my Wally or Sams which i believe was $100.

I just got approved for a PSECU Visa at $8k and a poster mentioned i could take it all out were i inclinedSmiley Wink
Message 8 of 57
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Yup, all depends on the lender. My NASA FCU CC, Penfed CCs, DCU and Redstone FCU CC has all the limits available to transfer.
All the CU cards used to be similar.
NFCU have since changed. They don't allow access to the total credit limits anymore for cash.

For me, Bank of America is roughly 35% of available limits.
Cap one around 40%.
Message 9 of 57
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Quick @Gmood1!!! Take out everything from your cc's and send it to me!😁 I'll pay it back when i hit Powerball😉
Message 10 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.