Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What reason do you give for CLIs?

tag
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: What reason do you give for CLIs?

Cap1 has been bombarding me with BT offers and more for fun I replied  that their offers could not get accepted with the present CL on my card. Just wanted them to know that I would never max out a card and therefore trash all their BT offers.  I did not expect any reply but to my big surprise got a call from I believe  the EO with the result from a manual review on my account and they doubled my CLSmiley Very Happy

I just suggested Cap1 to consider a temp CLI for the amount of the BT offer if accepted otherwise customers could not take advantage of their offers without the punishment for maxed out cards Smiley Tongue

Message 21 of 25
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@JeffM wrote:

Just curious. What do you guys say when your banks ask you the reason for a CLI? This only occurs to me when I'm on the phone with them.

I hate that question...what difference does it make? If I say I need it for a heart transplant or I will die in a couple of months, will that make any difference in their decision at all? How about if I say, "The shipment from Bolivia is due tomorrow"...lol.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 22 of 25
JeffM
Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@JeffM wrote:

Just curious. What do you guys say when your banks ask you the reason for a CLI? This only occurs to me when I'm on the phone with them.

I hate that question...what difference does it make? If I say I need it for a heart transplant or I will die in a couple of months, will that make any difference in their decision at all? How about if I say, "The shipment from Bolivia is due tomorrow"...lol.

Haha I hate it too! I'm just wondering if it'll have any impact on their decision. If I say "I need it for a large purchase in the future", are they assuming I might struggle to pay it back? Do I need a good reason for get a CLI?

Honestly, I'm just doing it for utilization purposes (I don't wanna bother with paying every week) and to grow my cards. Right now I'm almost at 50% for my BoA and WF cards and that's something I'd like to avoid in the future.

Wells Fargo Cash Back - $2400 || Bank of America Cash Rewards - $5000 || Discover IT - $5000 || American Express BCE - $15000

FICO TU - 769
Message 23 of 25
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

I typically don't ask for CLIs unless I need them, so that's exactly what I say. Over time my income (and therefore my spending) has increased, and as such I've needed larger limits on my cards. They've never had an issue with that.

I don't see any amex cards in your signature? Do you have any? If not, would you ask for a CLI on amex if you had one? With my chase cards I don't ask for CLIs because it requires a HP. If I really really needed one then I would take the HP, but in terms of cards where it is SP only I ask for util purposes. 

No, I don't have any Amex cards currently. I'm not interested in getting any either (at least for the moment) for the following reasons:

1. The vast majority of merchants around here don't take Amex.

2. I spend more time outside the U.S. than inside, so forex charges are an absolute deal-breaker. Yes the plat has no forex charges, but as a high spender 1 point per dollar isn't very appealing. The recent removal of key benefits (such as AA & US lounge access) isn't encouraging either.

3. I see Amex as a company in overall decline (with their products & service), and until that changes it'll make me think twice about applying for anything with them. There are other options out there that I see as a better fit for my own needs.

If I did have an Amex, my general policy of asking for credit only when I need it would still hold true.

I rarely apply for new credit, and on average I only have 1 INQ every 1-2 years (across all 3 reports). Also my credit scores are high enough where I don't really care about HPs vs. SPs. If I want something or if my needs change, then I'll ask for what I want. Taking HPs isn't going to deter me since my scores are very high, and because I don't do it enough to really matter.

+1 the reasons why I dont use AMEX outside the US. I see you have the more refined version of the Travel Rewards. how is that card?

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 24 of 25
Settemio
Regular Contributor

The main and usually the only reason I give is I state that I never use over 50% util on any given credit card because of the negative affect it will have on my score... So if a credit card company wants me to "spend more" then increase the CL so 50% of my CL is significant... So, if I have a CC like my Capital One Venture card that has a 3k CL... it sits in my drawer and never is used... My Chase Marriott Visa with 34k CL however, gets used often... I ill use these lower level cards periodically just to keep them active, but if I don't get a decent CLI, I will never use it for anything significant.

@JeffM wrote:

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.