cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What report(s) do Chase Freedom / Sallie Mae Barclaycard pull? Which gives better CLs/CLIs?

tag
Credit333
Established Member

Re: What report(s) do Chase Freedom / Sallie Mae Barclaycard pull? Which gives better CLs/CLIs?

Wow, thank you for that super thorough response.

Regarding my credit scores, I'm guessing/ballparking quite a bit, but my last Discover statement has me at 735, Credit Karma has me at 736, Credit Sesame has me at 757, and Quizzle has me at 746. Obviously, those are often inaccurate, but here is the information I can give you:

- I have 4 credit cards (limits listed in my signature, total just north of $10k)

- Never been denied a card or a CLI

- Last opened a card was 12/18/2012; also opened cards on 06/10/2011, 08/21/2012, and 07/05/2012 (and I'm just going to wait one week to apply so that this one specifically is no longer displayed on my report, even if it isn't impacting my score)

- Only requested one CLI in my life (two days ago, and it was approved no problem), though I have received 4 from Discover automatically

- AAoA of almost 2 years

- 0-2 hard inquiries on each of my reports (my only HPs should be from a couple days ago, Dec. of '12, and Aug. of '12 from what I can figure)

- Always PIF my entire balance at the end of each month; however, starting this month, I am going to start lowering my ending balance substantially, and possibly doing the rotating thing (where 1-2 cards show a small balance at the end of the month because the other cards are paid off before closing)...so I think that in the coming months, I'll hopefully see an increase due to better manipulation of my utilization

So I don't see any reason why I wouldn't be at a minimum in the low-700s, possibly mid-700s.

For now, I think Sallie Mae is gonna be the call, given what you said about the initial CL and the HPs, so I'll apply for that next week (again, so that the 07/05/2012 card is gone completely from my report). MAYBE the AmEx BCE as well, but Chase Freedom just doesn't seem worth it at this time. Any input on the BCE would be appreciated, though.

Also, with that last part in mind, the 10% bonus would be nice if available, but it's really not worth setting up an additional account and continuously transferring money around for me to make a maximum of $2.50 extra per month (and realistically more like $1.00-$1.50, given my spending).

Thanks so much for the advice!

In My Wallet: AmEx Blue Cash Everyday ($6,500) | Barclays Sallie Mae World ($12,500) | Discover it Chrome ($6,000)

EX: 756 (07/12/2014) | TU: 752 (07/18/2014)

Other: BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards ($3,000) | State Farm Rewards ($4,000) | State Farm Student ($500)
Message 11 of 17
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: What report(s) do Chase Freedom / Sallie Mae Barclaycard pull? Which gives better CLs/CLIs?

@Credit333 wrote:

Regarding my credit scores, I'm guessing/ballparking quite a bit, but my last Discover statement has me at 735, Credit Karma has me at 736, Credit Sesame has me at 757, and Quizzle has me at 746. Obviously, those are often inaccurate, but here is the information I can give you:

- I have 4 credit cards (limits listed in my signature, total just north of $10k)

- Last opened a card was 12/18/2012; also opened cards on 06/10/2011, 08/21/2012, and 07/05/2012 (and I'm just going to wait one week to apply so that this one specifically is no longer displayed on my report, even if it isn't impacting my score)

- Only requested one CLI in my life (two days ago, and it was approved no problem), though I have received 4 from Discover automatically

- AAoA of almost 2 years

- 0-2 hard inquiries on each of my reports (my only HPs should be from a couple days ago, Dec. of '12, and Aug. of '12 from what I can figure)

- Always PIF my entire balance at the end of each month; however, starting this month, I am going to start lowering my ending balance substantially, and possibly doing the rotating thing (where 1-2 cards show a small balance at the end of the month because the other cards are paid off before closing)...so I think that in the coming months, I'll hopefully see an increase due to better manipulation of my utilization

So I don't see any reason why I wouldn't be at a minimum in the low-700s, possibly mid-700s.

For now, I think Sallie Mae is gonna be the call, given what you said about the initial CL and the HPs, so I'll apply for that next week (again, so that the 07/05/2012 card is gone completely from my report). MAYBE the AmEx BCE as well, but Chase Freedom just doesn't seem worth it at this time. Any input on the BCE would be appreciated, though.

Also, with that last part in mind, the 10% bonus would be nice if available, but it's really not worth setting up an additional account and continuously transferring money around for me to make a maximum of $2.50 extra per month (and realistically more like $1.00-$1.50, given my spending).

With that kind of history and scores, you should be right-away accepted for all the three cards. I'd guess limits between 3k and 5k (maybe even more, experienced members can chime in).

About the inquiry dropping off: 1) Neither the scores nor the reasons stated in app consider inquiries more than 12 month old. 2) From technical perspective, I believe some bureaus keep the record till the end of the month and don't drop it exactly on the 2nd year anniversary.

About PIF: True, it's a good idea to have 1 card report a balance, and less than 10% of its limit (myFico wisdom). I'm way off. My hope is by the end of this year. My track record is average (688 TU, Discover). Total CL 21,400 across 8 cards. 

I'm keeping the Sallie Mae saving (and money market) accounts just as that: savings accounts (sorry for writing checking earlier). It's a side benefit that I get 10% on the SMMC cashback. Also, I use UPromise pretty extensively for travel bookings etc (get 3-6% cash back on hotels, extra 1% on airlines etc, 5% on shopping, not bad). But I'd agree, if you're only interested in the SMMC cashback, this is a big hassle, plus the delay in the deposit is not worth it by itself. 

On BCE: I applied for BCE before I got to know of SMMC. Just a month between those two.

Good things about BCE: no fee, foot in the door with AMEX, will help in backdating later, will get you SP CLI if you play chips right (follow the AMEX 3X CLI guide thread). 

My use of BCE: when SMMC gets used up; 3% on groceries, 2% on gas not bad. Also, 2% at department stores (marginally better than my Cap One QS all 1.5%). Because I have the SMMC, and my purchases are not that heavy, I don't see the value of BCP.

Cons of BCE: The %CB is not great. Also, while SMMC immediately shows CB points against each posted transaction, AMEX has a 1 month lag. Plus, they often miss out on points because of configuration errors on their part. I mean, they missed Whole Foods and Randall's (Safeway) and the agent even said they were not grocery stores. I got that fixed but you need to be careful with their statement (that means looking back and forth two statements).

Biggest con of BCE: Quite a few stores are out of purview; specialized grocery stores (South asian stores for e.g.), Target, Walmart etc are often not considered supermarket. SMMC considers the south asian stores, as well as Target as supermarket. I don't shop at Walmart so can't say about that. 

Both BCE and SMMC have a $25 threshold on min redemption. However after the threshold, SMMC have no further limits; BCE on the other hand allows cash redemption only in multiples of $25. You do have the choice of gifts, gift cards etc. Don't bother with them. 

In terms of app pull, SMMC + BCE makes decent sense, as mostly it will be 1 TU + 1 EX, and you should be approved with decent limits on both cards. 

Message 12 of 17
Credit333
Established Member

@Ghoshida wrote:

@Credit333 wrote:

- AAoA of almost 2 years

With that kind of history and scores, you should be right-away accepted for all the three cards. I'd guess limits between 3k and 5k (maybe even more, experienced members can chime in).

About the inquiry dropping off: 1) Neither the scores nor the reasons stated in app consider inquiries more than 12 month old. 2) From technical perspective, I believe some bureaus keep the record till the end of the month and don't drop it exactly on the 2nd year anniversary.

About PIF: True, it's a good idea to have 1 card report a balance, and less than 10% of its limit (myFico wisdom). I'm way off. My hope is by the end of this year. My track record is average (688 TU, Discover). Total CL 21,400 across 8 cards. 

I'm keeping the Sallie Mae saving (and money market) accounts just as that: savings accounts (sorry for writing checking earlier). It's a side benefit that I get 10% on the SMMC cashback. Also, I use UPromise pretty extensively for travel bookings etc (get 3-6% cash back on hotels, extra 1% on airlines etc, 5% on shopping, not bad). But I'd agree, if you're only interested in the SMMC cashback, this is a big hassle, plus the delay in the deposit is not worth it by itself. 

On BCE: I applied for BCE before I got to know of SMMC. Just a month between those two.

Good things about BCE: no fee, foot in the door with AMEX, will help in backdating later, will get you SP CLI if you play chips right (follow the AMEX 3X CLI guide thread). 

My use of BCE: when SMMC gets used up; 3% on groceries, 2% on gas not bad. Also, 2% at department stores (marginally better than my Cap One QS all 1.5%). Because I have the SMMC, and my purchases are not that heavy, I don't see the value of BCP.

Cons of BCE: The %CB is not great. Also, while SMMC immediately shows CB points against each posted transaction, AMEX has a 1 month lag. Plus, they often miss out on points because of configuration errors on their part. I mean, they missed Whole Foods and Randall's (Safeway) and the agent even said they were not grocery stores. I got that fixed but you need to be careful with their statement (that means looking back and forth two statements).

Biggest con of BCE: Quite a few stores are out of purview; specialized grocery stores (South asian stores for e.g.), Target, Walmart etc are often not considered supermarket. SMMC considers the south asian stores, as well as Target as supermarket. I don't shop at Walmart so can't say about that. 

Both BCE and SMMC have a $25 threshold on min redemption. However after the threshold, SMMC have no further limits; BCE on the other hand allows cash redemption only in multiples of $25. You do have the choice of gifts, gift cards etc. Don't bother with them. 

In terms of app pull, SMMC + BCE makes decent sense, as mostly it will be 1 TU + 1 EX, and you should be approved with decent limits on both cards. 

Thank you for another detailed response!

Yes, I'd like to think that my credit scores should be pretty decent...I doubt it'll work, but after approval (assuming I do get approved), I plan to call into whatever companies I apply for and ask them A) to see if they can increase whatever CL I'm given (can't hurt to try after they already HP'd, right?) and B) what credit score is returned for me (though, as far as I know, this is only given if I'm denied...right?).

I would very much like to apply for the card(s) today (I think I'm going to go SM + BCE), but I figured that waiting until next week, when all my statements have closed and reported with the lower utilization rates, would be worthwhile, both to enhance chances of approval but moreso to increase potential CL. Am I right in thinking that reporting these lower utilizations could play a part in how high of a CL that I receive?

Additional question, which will be particularly important for me moving forward because I just converted my Bank of A Cash Rewards to a Better Balance Rewards...the rule on it is that I have to have a balance report every month, and then I'm just going to immediately pay it off. However, this means that, obviously, I must report a balance on this card every month. Should I just do this every month (which gets me $25/quarter) and then cycle the balances on my other cards (e.g. Jul = bal. on my B of A BBB and my SF Visa, Aug bal. on my B of A BBB and my Discover, Sep bal. on my B of A BBB and my SM MC, etc.)? Or would I be better off just paying off all the other cards each month and solely reporting the balance on the B of A BBB? I'm leaning towards the former, but I'm not sure at all.

In My Wallet: AmEx Blue Cash Everyday ($6,500) | Barclays Sallie Mae World ($12,500) | Discover it Chrome ($6,000)

Other: BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards ($3,000) | State Farm Rewards ($4,000) | State Farm Student ($500)
Message 13 of 17
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Chase is EX

barclay is TU

+1

and Chase might as well double pull EX + EQ or EX + TU ..some were even triple pulled Smiley Sad so it is YMMV with Chase.  For me it is always double EX + EQ for all 3 Chase cards I have

Chase pulled EX + TU for me. Barclays, as everybody says, is TU, but when I reconned the limit they also SP'd EX.

OP I agree that your profile is good enough to go for any or all of the cards you're interested in. You've thought this out well and have gotten some good advice here.

Message 14 of 17
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Credit333 wrote:

Which gives better CLs/CLIs?

As always, depends on your credit and not just the creditor.  AmEx's 3x CLI (read the thread if you have not already) is hard to beat.  From forum postings CLI's seem rare with Chase though my wife has been auto CLI'd twice.  I haven't received any but I know I'mat my internal limit already.

@Credit333 wrote:

My other thought is maybe get one of the cards + an AmEx Blue Cash Everyday

Take a look at the chart comparing the rewards for different levels of spend on the BCE, BCP and Sallie Mae before you decide on the BCE.

@ayeecorreia wrote:
Chase seems like the better card

Better is always highly subjective, regardless of topic.  You can't assume that your situation, preferences and priorties are universal.

Message 15 of 17
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Credit333 wrote:

Thank you for another detailed response!

Yes, I'd like to think that my credit scores should be pretty decent...I doubt it'll work, but after approval (assuming I do get approved), I plan to call into whatever companies I apply for and ask them A) to see if they can increase whatever CL I'm given (can't hurt to try after they already HP'd, right?) and B) what credit score is returned for me (though, as far as I know, this is only given if I'm denied...right?).

I would very much like to apply for the card(s) today (I think I'm going to go SM + BCE), but I figured that waiting until next week, when all my statements have closed and reported with the lower utilization rates, would be worthwhile, both to enhance chances of approval but moreso to increase potential CL. Am I right in thinking that reporting these lower utilizations could play a part in how high of a CL that I receive?

Additional question, which will be particularly important for me moving forward because I just converted my Bank of A Cash Rewards to a Better Balance Rewards...the rule on it is that I have to have a balance report every month, and then I'm just going to immediately pay it off. However, this means that, obviously, I must report a balance on this card every month. Should I just do this every month (which gets me $25/quarter) and then cycle the balances on my other cards (e.g. Jul = bal. on my B of A BBB and my SF Visa, Aug bal. on my B of A BBB and my Discover, Sep bal. on my B of A BBB and my SM MC, etc.)? Or would I be better off just paying off all the other cards each month and solely reporting the balance on the B of A BBB? I'm leaning towards the former, but I'm not sure at all.

I haven't tried immediate CLI with Barclay's or AMEX; Chase asks for another HP right away. There's no harm in trying: ask them if it's an SP or HP and accordingly decide. 

You should normally get a score unless you've got the best terms; the terms will be mentioned in the accompanying mail. With your scores, there is a good chance of getting best terms. 

Use Discover It and Barclay's to monitor your TU FICO score (generally monthly updates). For EX scores, everytime you place a CLI request with AMEX, they SP EX and will give you a score if the CLI is denied. However, getting scores through freq CLI req (and denials) is not at all recommended; you should be able to ballpark your score based on the free TU ones. 

Yes, letting your best (lowest) possible (non-zero) utilizations report will present a better picture to CC companies, your chances of getting better terms and CLs would increase.

Playing the balance game, in my opinion, is not extremely crucial unless you're planning to apply for another card (or a CLI). Based on the forum wisdom, if you do end up getting the AMEX, carry the balance on only the BBR card till the 61-day 3X CLI.

After that, you can keep rotating cards (in general, not exceeding 10% across board is a good idea, if you can manage that) till the next CLI request. As I understand AMEX is sensitive towards balance-keeping (and seems also Barclay's sometimes). 

Good luck with your apps.

Message 16 of 17
Credit333
Established Member

Thanks everyone. Next week, I am for sure going to apply for the Sallie Mae Barclays and most likely the AmEx BCE...probably submitting both requests at the same time (even though I doubt it will benefit me, I can see how in theory it COULD benefit me, and I don't see any potential downsides in doing so). I will not be applying for a Chase Freedom at this time.

As far as my balances, I have to have one every month on the Bank of America Better Balance Rewards, so I'll just have a small one every month on that. I don't really see much harm in paying off the other balances on my 5 other cards before the statement releases, so I'll probably just do that, or cycle having one other card show a balance. Simple enough.

I'll be sure to bump this thread with my results next week after my applications!

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.