Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's Your Favorite CC for Each of These Categories

tag
Blackbeauty212
Frequent Contributor

What's Your Favorite CC for Each of These Categories

Hey long time lerker, learned a lot of great little tidbits on the site... much knowledge here. Well today I decided to jump in and get my feet wet with my first post. 

So here's an Ice Breaker of a question to you all. 

What's your go-to Card for each of these Categories 

Everyday Card: the Card you use for Everyday basic Purchases (Grocery Store, Clothing, Drug Store, Restaurants, Pay Bills with, Buy Gas, Transit Fares, etc) and you Pay it in Full Every Month. 

Big Ticket Card: the Card you use for Big Ticket Purchases (Furniture, Electronics, Appliances, Repairs, Vacations, Uncle Sam Payments, Christmas Shopping, Etc) anything you may need to carry a balance on or charge more than $3K on it at one time. 

Emergencies ONLY / Credit Reporting Purposes ONLY: these Cards are Open Lines but Dormant / Not In Use Cards...You rarely touch these cards if EVER!.....They're only Open to Serve your Credit Report (Average age of Accounts, Debt to Credit Ratio)

For me:

Everyday - Discover Card 

Big Ticket - Citi Thank You Preferred 

Emergency / Credit Reporting ONLY - Capital One Plat (Oldest Card, still with only 1K Credit Limit, LOL), Philly Credit Union Visa, Citi Platinum Select, Amazon Rewards from Chase.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Elcid89
Contributor

Re: What's Your Favorite CC for Each of These Categories

Everyday - Amex (if accepted by the vendor, otherwise Citi AAdvantage)

Big Ticket - CSP

Emergencies only - most of the rest of them. I do small purchases (like an occasional soda or cofee) to show activity, and pay them off before the statement cuts.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 2 of 21
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Blackbeauty212 wrote:

Hey long time lerker, learned a lot of great little tidbits on the site... much knowledge here. Well today I decided to jump in and get my feet wet with my first post. 

Everyday Card: the Card you use for Everyday basic Purchases (Grocery Store, Clothing, Drug Store, Restaurants, Pay Bills with, Buy Gas, Transit Fares, etc) and you Pay it in Full Every Month. 

Groceries BCP

Clothing Chase Freedom (Kohls UR mall)

Drugstore Chase United Club

Restaurants Citi Forward

Billpay Chase United Club

Gas Chase Ink or Freedom

Transit fares Chase Sapphire

Big Ticket Card: the Card you use for Big Ticket Purchases (Furniture, Electronics, Appliances, Repairs, Vacations, Uncle Sam Payments, Christmas Shopping, Etc) anything you may need to carry a balance on or charge more than $3K on it at one time. 

Chase United Club for everything else

Emergencies ONLY / Credit Reporting Purposes ONLY: these Cards are Open Lines but Dormant / Not In Use Cards...You rarely touch these cards if EVER!.....They're only Open to Serve your Credit Report (Average age of Accounts, Debt to Credit Ratio)

Orchard Secured Credit card

Capital One Platinum

For me:

Everyday - Discover Card 

Emergency / Credit Reporting ONLY - Capital One Plat (Oldest Card, still with only 1K Credit Limit, LOL), Philly Credit Union Visa, Citi Platinum Select, Amazon Rewards from Chase.

I also mix Starwood in there as well.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 3 of 21
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Everyday: Either the CS or Freedom, if it falls into a rotating category

Big Ticket: CS

Credit Reporting: TD and Orchard Bank

Also distantarray, I hope you know we're getting those secured deposits back from the Orchard! Our cards are now unsecured Smiley Wink can't wait to see what Cap One may do with them now!

Message 4 of 21
kwinks
Regular Contributor

Everyday

gas: freedom when it's 5% or bank of America cash rewards

groceries: bcp

drugstore: freedom when it's 5% or csp

everything else goes to csp

Big ticket

csp

emergency only

bank of America cash rewards...I only use it maybe a few months out of year when gas isn't in the chase freedom category

it definitely always depends on which card will give you the most rewards for that purchase

Message 5 of 21
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Everyday Card: I use the Fidelity Amex or the Cap One 1.5% card if they don't take Amex.  BCP on groceries.

Big Ticket Card: I use the Amazon store card for the 0% APR and US Bank Cash+ for the 5% on department stores plus it has a huge CL.

Emergencies ONLY / Credit Reporting Purposes ONLY: I use the BofA Travel Rewards for this because of the nice CL and 9.9% APR.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 6 of 21
bluesnowman
Frequent Contributor

Hmm lets see.

Everyday Card: 

Gas: I use my BOFA Cash Rewards card until statement reporting time, and then switch to my PRG to get 3X gas points. 

Groceries: I usually don't grocery shop much. But when I do I usually the 2 Cards mentioned above.

Food: I either use my Discover More for this Quarter or the rest of the time I use my Forward card, If I am going to a little bit more upscale place to eat, then I use my PRG.

Phone Bill and various other subscriptions: Citi Forward.

Random purchases and Drug Stores: BOFA Cash Rewards card.

Big Ticket Card: This one is a toss up between my Discover More and my PRG. 

Emergency Card/ Credit reporting: I like my BOFA Cash Rewards card and am leaving it open, but I hope to go for the BCE and if I do get approved and probably then will cut down use on my Cash Rewards card unless it is for minor purchases. 

I hope to go for the BCE and the Freedom and those two will probably become my most used cards if I do get approved, but right now I'm not in any rush for new cards so that is all I've got right now. 

Bank of America: Cash Rewards.- 4.2k. 4/25/12 (CLI Increase 6/15/13, CLI May of 2015, sept 2015), Citi: Forward- 4.5k. 10/27/12 (CLI on 2/8/14, SP, CLI on 9/26/15 sp). Discover: More- 7k, 10/27/12 (Increase 6/1/14, CLI in May of 2015, SP 9/2015) Amex: PRG- NPSL (closed 12/13/13). 11/24/12. Chase: Freedom. 5/1/13- 5k (EX CLI HP 9/2015) Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus.-3.6k. 6/15/13. Amex BCE-2k. 12/7/13. Amex SPG-5k 12/8/13 (CLI on 9/2015) Capital one VentureOne Visa Signature-10k (9/6/15). Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-4K. Last App: 9/6/15. Total cl: 45,300
Message 7 of 21
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Blackbeauty212 wrote:

For me:

Everyday - Discover Card 

Everyday Card: Chase Freedom

Big Ticket Card: Barclays Rewards World MC / PSECU Visa

Emergencies ONLY / Credit Reporting Purposes ONLY: Discover IT (Strictly because of lack of CLI's)

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Everyday Card: Chase Freedom - for obvious reasons

Big Ticket Card: Discover It - because of the extra warranty feature and 90 day price protection

Emergencies ONLY / Credit Reporting Purposes ONLY: Fulton Platinum - Non reward | AAoA purposes

Message 9 of 21
nishant1
New Contributor

Gas- Chase Freedom for 6 months in a year with 5% cash back

Gas- PenFed for remaining 6 months of the year for 5% cash back

Grocery- Blue Cash Preferred- 6% cash back

Walmart- Priceline visa with 2% cash back- No annual fee

Sams club- Citi Dividend world master card- 1.5% cash back- No annual fee

Costco- Amex Costco

Air ticket- Use Ultimate Rewards and Chase Sapphire Preferred.

Bill Pay- US Cash + as 5% cash back category for now which is going away next month

Fast food- Citi Forward

Movies- Citi Forward

Foreign purchases- Chase Sapphire Preferred.

Restaurant- 5% cash back category on Cash +

Drug stores- Any 5% cash back covered in rotating category. Currently Citi Dividend & Chase Freedom

Xmas shopping- Discover with $1500 any online purchase 5% cash back.

Many more less used cards

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.