Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's Your Most Effective Gardening Tricks

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's Your Most Effective Gardening Tricks

I am posting this question because I am one of those who loves reading through the approval threads, congratulating members who had recent success with their applications. Sometimes, when I read up approval stories, and some new posts about new great looking cards or competative cards that get launched, I often find myself opening a new window on the lender's application landing page, then i close it immediately! Smiley Very Happy I find myself going back and forth if I should apply now or LATER. With the recent competative cards that have been launched/ relaunched it really makes it challenging to stay rooted in the garden (talking about myself). As of right now, I am trying my hardest to commit to gardening until December of this year (i hope). But seeing more and more of these new cards getting launched definitely makes it difficult. So I ask anyone, what other effective tricks have you implemented to help curve those urges to apply for a new card. 

Message 1 of 72
71 REPLIES 71
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: What's Your Most Effective Gardening Tricks

Forget the approvals section and chill out in the applicaions threads

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 2 of 72
redpat
Senior Contributor

That's easy, if it's not MR, UR or AA I don't want it.  All my business and personal spend is centered around these reward programs.

For the moment I don't need any AA SUBS, I have a crap load of miles anyway. 

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 3 of 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know, I want to, but it's easier said than done Smiley Tongue I did recently tried some of the ff:

- Changed my Discover IT design from Garnet to Greenery (for summer) it made me feel as if I had a new card

- Upgrading my BCE to BCP (No annual fee for first year with a $150 SUB for 2K Spend) had me something to work towards so I get the SUB and about $400 away from reaching the goal. 

- Using this time to build new relations with a bank that I would eventually want to have a CC product with (aka Chase) got a new checking account with them and recently had completed the SUB as well for opening one. 

I also have an existing offer to upgrade the AMEX green to the PRG with a 40K MR offer for a 2K spend, but I am trying to hold off until I know  for sure that I would be able to justify the annual fee. Since it's immediately enforced once I accept the upgrade. I am traveling this year, but not overseas so I don't think it would make sense, but I do like that 40K MR offer. I can add the ED card next year to bank those rewards points I've earned. 

Message 4 of 72
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Meanmchine wrote:

Forget the approvals section and chill out in the applicaions threads

I'd extend this to:

Find a hobby unrelated to credit and just stay off credit forums for a while.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

Work lots of OT...

Pay down what you can. Stay ahead of payments.

Eat.sleep.gym. miscellaneous....

Stay on forum and live vicariously through other's approvals lol
Message 6 of 72
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Enter Garden club and do battle with Miesterbro on how to eat a proper breakfast
Message 7 of 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Work lots of OT...

Pay down what you can. Stay ahead of payments.

Eat.sleep.gym. miscellaneous....

Stay on forum and live vicariously through other's approvals lol

LOL! That's actually what I've been doing over and above the one's I've mentioned. I definitely need to find another hobby while at work. This forum has kept me entertained while I am working. I think I've outgrown FB so I don't go on as much. I am definitely working to pay down a balance that I had recently moved from AMEX to Disco, that would be fully paid by Sept. so as that happens, my scores have actually lowered so another excuse to stay firmly planted. Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Enter Garden club and do battle with Miesterbro on how to eat a proper breakfast

AJC, I am in the Garden club, quietly reading posts on there. Just haven't participated on any discussion as of late.

Message 9 of 72
arkane
Established Contributor

Easy, I ask myself these 3 questions:

1. Does it have a SUB?

2. Is it no-AF or at least waived in the first year?

3. Can I meet the SUB spend without resorting to MS?

If any of the answers is "no" then it's an auto-denial. Only recon allowed is for the "no-AF" part if the SUB is large enough to offset the AF for a decent net gain. 

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 10 of 72
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.