Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's going on with Orchard Bank CCs?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's going on with Orchard Bank CCs?

I've seen vague references to Orchard Bank being bought out/closed/their secured CC program being phased out.

Does anyone have any current information/details on this situation?

I am headed towards applying for a secured CC and it's between Orchard Bank or Capital One. I'd really rather not open a card if it's going to get yanked out from under me soon...

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Re: What's going on with Orchard Bank CCs?

@tk777777 wrote:

I've seen vague references to Orchard Bank being bought out/closed/their secured CC program being phased out.

I am headed towards applying for a secured CC and it's between Orchard Bank or Capital One. I'd really rather not open a card if it's going to get yanked out from under me soon...

Thanks in advance!

HSBC is looking to unload the portfolio.  I believe Cap One has put in a bid for it so either way, you might be opting for a Cap One card. 

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 2 of 26
seruby
Frequent Contributor

@visorboy1974 wrote:

@tk777777 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

HSBC is looking to unload the portfolio.  I believe Cap One has put in a bid for it so either way, you might be opting for a Cap One card. 

If that happens, I'm closing my card.  Haven't had it that long anyway - maybe a few months - and I refuse to do anything with Capital One.

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I heard too. The irony is that since you're only supposed to have 2 Cap One cards (non branded/store ones), that would push me over the limit since I have 1 Orchard Bank card too. I'm sure it won't affect anything really. And the 2 cards limit could vary by person, that's just what I was told as the reason for being declined when I applied. At least it didn't give me an inquiry, just a letter stating it wasn't happening.

Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@seruby wrote:

If that happens, I'm closing my card.  Haven't had it that long anyway - maybe a few months - and I refuse to do anything with Capital One.

Could you share why? I am trying to avoid getting stuck with a bad company right out the starting gate of rebuilding. (PM is okay too.)

Message 5 of 26
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

That's what I heard too. The irony is that since you're only supposed to have 2 Cap One cards (non branded/store ones), that would push me over the limit since I have 1 Orchard Bank card too. I'm sure it won't affect anything really. And the 2 cards limit could vary by person, that's just what I was told as the reason for being declined when I applied. At least it didn't give me an inquiry, just a letter stating it wasn't happening.

That would give me three cards with Cap1, as I already have two plus an OB. It would be nice if they would allow people to combine cards again. If they buy HSBC and allow us to combine cards, I'd be happy to simply fold the CL from my OB into my Cap1 No Hassle MC.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 has left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths for one reason or another. I personally have their No Hassle Cash Rewards card and love it. Sure, it'll probably only grow to $750, but it's a rebuilder card. What can you expect? I have 0% interest until Feb, 17.9% after that (I won't carry a balance anyway, but that's their lower rebuilder rate), low annual fee, and the cash rewards are great. They have a good website as well. Once they get to know your payment habits, your payments post and are available within a day.

If it were between Cap1 and Orcahrd, I would definitely go with Cap1. But, most here will tell you to get a secured card with a CU for better rates and better chance of graduation to an unsecured card.

Message 7 of 26
seruby
Frequent Contributor

@tk777777 wrote:

@seruby wrote:

Could you share why? I am trying to avoid getting stuck with a bad company right out the starting gate of rebuilding. (PM is okay too.)

Check out my recently post "Capital One judgement vacated" (still on the main page) and also read the forum I linked inside.  That's my story with Capital One - the recent being a continuation of the previous.

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If it were between Cap1 and Orcahrd, I would definitely go with Cap1. But, most here will tell you to get a secured card with a CU for better rates and better chance of graduation to an unsecured card.

Thanks stanggt03. I have been looking into CUs but the ones I've looked into so far require a credit check as well as higher scores even for a secured card. (I am in the 400's.) In addition, I am only able to afford a $200 deposit to start out with and all of the CUs I've looked into require $500 or more. That's why Cap One and Orchard have been the main secureds on my radar.

Do you have any CU recommendations for a low-level rebuilder secured CC?

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

See if any of this helps:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Credit-Builder-Loans-You-can-get-a-secured-personal-loa...

I know I heard of one of the major CU's people talk about on here that didn't do a credit check for secured, but I can't remember who.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.