Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's in your.... Sock Drawer (SD)?

tag
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

What's in your.... Sock Drawer (SD)?

I have put my Merrick Bank and Household Bank cards there, but's what's in yours?  Why?

I put the Merrick Bank card there because it is the least useful card that I own.  It has no rewards.

I also put the Household Bank card in the SD because it does not grow well since Capone took it over.  The rewards are not bad and there is no annual fee, it is just not growing. 

I also put the Walmart Card, Bealls of Florida Card, Belks Card, and Marathon Gas Card in the sock drawer as there really is no reason to use these cards anymore.  Occassionally the Walmart Card is good for gas and special promotions, but there are no rewards with it so I might as well use a rewards card.  The Bealls, Marathon, and Belks cards also have no rewards and therefore it makes no sense in using them.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: What's in your.... Sock Drawer (SD)?

My Macy's and Bloomingdale's card.

Doesn't make any sense for them to charge me any fees even when I PIF.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 31
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

@bernhardtra wrote:

I have put my Merrick Bank and Household Bank cards there, but's what's in yours?  Why?

I put the Merrick Bank card there because it is the least useful card that I own.  It has no rewards.

I also put the Household Bank card in the SD because it does not grow well since Capone took it over.  The rewards are not bad and there is no annual fee, it is just not growing. 

I also put the Walmart Card, Bealls of Florida Card, Belks Card, and Marathon Gas Card in the sock drawer as there really is no reason to use these cards anymore.  Occassionally the Walmart Card is good for gas and special promotions, but there are no rewards with it so I might as well use a rewards card.  The Bealls, Marathon, and Belks cards also have no rewards and therefore it makes no sense in using them.

Does your household bank card get 2% cash back on everything like mine does?

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 3 of 31
cheychey99
New Contributor

In the SD is my Orchard Bank (300 cl) and Cap One secured card (200 cl). I hate Orchard Banks refusal to grow. Good riddance.
Message 4 of 31
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@NJTurnpike wrote:

@bernhardtra wrote:

No it has 2% on some things, but 1% on others.  I have cards that get 3% and 5% on the same categories anyway. 

Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 5 of 31
WolfMan
Regular Contributor

Merrick Bank Visa (700) - Waiting for that letter that I've opened too many credit lines. If I get it, it gets cancelled. No YF, so I'll leave it open otherwise. 

Cap 1 Cash Rewards Platinum MC (1000) - $39 YF - Just before the next YF hits, it's getting cancelled. It's not worth the YF to me. 

Buckle Store Card (500) - Got it from the shopping card trick to help my util, but now that my limits are good on my prime cards, I have no use for it. I ordered a wallet from them once, but don't see myself shopping there. I'll leave it open. Once it hits the year mark, I may consider closing it. 

My other cards gets used quite often. 

Message 6 of 31
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@NJTurnpike wrote:

@bernhardtra wrote:

No it has 2% on some things, but 1% on others.  I have cards that get 3% and 5% on the same categories anyway. 

Message 7 of 31
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Discover IT is on the way to SD. It has left my wallet just this month and will serve for ShopDiscover only due to the low CL. It is just a pain to send payments in to continue to use it. Benefits are not better than my other cards. Might get its place back in my wallet in case the CL gets to 5k. I will wait and see but for online shopping it still works well but not as everyday card. So it is kind of SD compared to my other cards.
Message 8 of 31
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Everything in my siggy is SD except PRG and Flagship.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 9 of 31
bs6054
Valued Contributor

BCP: reached cap on groceries, back next year

Citi AA: use once every 18 months to maintain AA points (have to consider value of this!)

Amalgamated Bank.  Well, don't even have a card for this (they sent a letter saying they would only send it if I asked, as I hadn't been using it).  Still open though

US Bank Cash Plus.  Just use for cell charges on auto pay

Barclays Rewards:  Low CL, no advantage for rewards

Chase Amazon: Forward gives better rewards

Penfed x2:  Used via speedpass.   Will use for groceries next year

Cap One x2.  One used for PerkCentral purchases only, both used for purchasing prepaid mobile time from international sites

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.