Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's in your wallet/purse, which 5 cc's would you choose

tag
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What's in your wallet/purse, which 5 cc's would you choose

Let's see, I've got:

B of A Upromise MC (for most purchases; saves money for college)

Costco Amex (3% back at restaurants, plus I never know when I might need 12 dozen eggs or 7 tires)

Shell Citi MC (5% back on gas purchases)

Macy's Visa

Message 11 of 39
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

1) Fidelity Visa

2) Costco Amex

3) DIscover

4) REI Visa (US Bank)

5) BofA MC

The REI visa and BofA MC are a distant 4th and 5th and may soon be replaced by my new Macy's card. I use cards 1 and 2 for most purchases with a bit of discover thrown in for good measure (and the 5% categories) 

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 12 of 39
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Lel wrote:

Let's see, I've got:
...Costco Amex (3% back at restaurants, plus I never know when I might need 12 dozen eggs or 7 tires)

Smiley Very Happy

OK, in my wallet I have:

USAA MC and AmEx
PenFed Plat Visa
AmEx Blue
random debit cards (USAA, Navy)

What I would have:

one USAA card (I'm also considering consolidating the two)
PenFed
AmEx Costco, if I ever live anywhere near a Costco, as in the same state
Chase Freedom, if they ever give me my @#$%^&* three categories
either Ameriprise World Elite MC, if I ever start traveling, or Discover, if they get less stingy with rewards

eta: oh, and Lel, don't forget that Costco has coffins, with either standard or expedited shipping!
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 01-26-2010 03:36 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 39
DI
Super Contributor

This month Kroger 123  to reward them for giving me a substantial CLI. 
Message 14 of 39
jefftca925
Established Contributor

for me...

Discover More (5% cash back)

Chase Freedom Visa (3% cash back)

BofA Accelerated AmEx (Costco shopping)

Macys Visa (I love Macys!!)

USBank FlexPerks Visa (my "go to" card for everything else)

Chase and BoA debit cards for work purchases and small stuff

When I go out (on weekends) I ONLY carry my Chase debit card and a Chase Plat Rewards card ($2k limit..my lowest) and my ID.  The "wallet" stays home... nice and comfy!   :smileywink:

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 15 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Lel wrote:

Let's see, I've got:
...Costco Amex (3% back at restaurants, plus I never know when I might need 12 dozen eggs or 7 tires)

Smiley Very Happy

OK, in my wallet I have:

USAA MC and AmEx
PenFed Plat Visa
AmEx Blue
random debit cards (USAA, Navy)

What I would have:

one USAA card (I'm also considering consolidating the two)
PenFed
AmEx Costco, if I ever live anywhere near a Costco, as in the same state
@Anonymous Freedom, if they ever give me my @#$%^&* three categories
either Ameriprise World Elite MC, if I ever start traveling, or Discover, if they get less stingy with rewards

eta: oh, and Lel, don't forget that Costco has coffins, with either standard or expedited shipping!
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 01-26-2010 03:36 PM

That's it, I'm joining Costco today!  EXPEDITE me!

Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Top 5 I can do:

Costco Amex for dining, Travel expenses

PenFed Plat Visa for gas 

Discover for 5% and travel in China (I do that a lot)

Airline Card for everything else not covered above (UA for me)

Debit Card for debit only backups. (Winco, Food4Less etc...) 

Message 17 of 39
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Romeoo47 wrote:
Kiwill, I'm not sure if the AMEX Costco card is easier to get than the Blue.  At least for me, the card fits well into my lifestyle (i.e., personal preference).  I love the 3% cashback on dining.  I also get 3% back on gas (whenever I'm not getting 5% back from Discover) and 2% back on travel.  In addition, Costco is 5 minutes from my house.  So I almost exclusively use them for gas.  With that said, I don't think AMEX Costco is the best gas card out there.  Board members seem to speak very highly of PenFed.  I think they give 5% back on gas (correct me if I'm wrong). 

Are you still getting 5% back from your Discover?  I have the Discover Open Road card, and starting this month they reduced my rebate from 5% to 2%.  It's a little more complicated than that - formerly, I'd get 5% back on up to $100 in gas purchases.  Now it's 2% back on up to $250.  So the maximum rebate I can get each month is still $5 for these types of purchases, but I have to spend more in order to get that rebate.

Message 18 of 39
amp0804
Regular Contributor

5 cards is way too many to carry for me.

Ill stick with my 3 favorite which are always in my pocket,

Bank of America Debit

Citibank Forward

Chase Slate

To be completely honest I rarely ever use any of my other cards unless its best buy or home depot and I take advantage

of the promos.

Message 19 of 39
Romeoo47
Regular Contributor

Lel, I orginially had the Discover Open Card.  Then I received the dreaded CC letter that reduced the cashback amount on gas and said that the card was not being offered anymore (the card is currently being marketed with different rewards).  Anyway, I PCed to the Discover More which gives 5% on various things quarterly.  At least one quarter or month a year they offer 5% back on gas but I think it is capped. 
Message 20 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.