Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's my "soft" limit with Amex green?

tag
Ramdriver
Valued Member

What's my "soft" limit with Amex green?

I know there is no PSL but there is a "limit"

I saw the offer for the green when I logged in.

I have the BCE and the Amazon biz prime.

So I figured what the hey.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: What's my "soft" limit with Amex green?

Do you mean the max amount you can charge at once/in one month? You could use the "Check Spend Power" tool.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 8
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

My understanding is that the internal limit changes based on a lot of factors, but from my experience the average spending is a big factor. AMEX does not expect to see you spend 10k on the card if you haven't built up your way up there in previous months ($2k ---> $4k ---> $8k). 

Another factors is of course things that go in your credit report. 

Current Cards:
Message 3 of 8
bigseegar
Established Contributor

Your POT Limit would be a good place to get a "guess" of what AmEx is comfortable with on your card.

Message 4 of 8
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

@bigseegar wrote:

Your POT Limit would be a good place to get a "guess" of what AmEx is comfortable with on your card.

It gives you an idea but my POT is a fraction of what the highest charges that Amex would approve.

Message 5 of 8
bigseegar
Established Contributor

@GatorGuy wrote:

@bigseegar wrote:

It gives you an idea but my POT is a fraction of what the highest charges that Amex would approve.

Yep, no doubt so is mine. But I'm also betting yours, like mine is also not a brand new just issued card either though and why I gave the OP that advise on their new card. Like I said it's a good place to get a "guess" when the card is new with none to very little history. As time goes by and usage increases and PIF's increase so will the internal limit. In the past in the early 2000's I've made single charges on AX Charge cards of $32K, but I doubt in the first month I had that card in 1984 that AX would have cleared it.

Message 6 of 8
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@GatorGuy wrote:

@bigseegar wrote:

Yeah, I wouldn't go by the POT.  On my Gold card my POT is $35k, and I am quite certain Amex would cut me off well before I even got close to that amount.

@Ramdriver if you really need/want to know, give Amex a call.  A customer service rep should be able to give you a ball-park idea of how much you can spend, at least at this time.

Message 7 of 8
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@GatorGuy wrote:

@bigseegar wrote:

Yeah, I wouldn't go by the POT.  On my Gold card my POT is $35k, and I am quite certain Amex would cut me off well before I even got close to that amount.

@Ramdriver if you really need/want to know, give Amex a call.  A customer service rep should be able to give you a ball-park idea of how much you can spend, at least at this time.

Agreed, my Gold POT is currently 10k, it was taken away when AMEX put a hard 2k cap on my account, was brought back at 10k with the 2k hard cap, still at 10k with the hard cap being moved to 5k then 8k.  The 8k hard cap is higher than I ever had as a soft cap and twice the highest balance the card has ever been.

If you really want to know what your soft cap is, call them.  Using the check spending tool multiple times has been known to spook AMEX.  I've never had a problem with AMEX CSR telling me what the soft cap was.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.