cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's so Bad about COMENITY?

tag
PutThatMoneyOnTheTable
Established Contributor

Re: AJC needs to start a thread......What's so Bad about COMENITY?

@Medic981 wrote:

Not a fan of Comenity

I was gonna crack an A/C (Air Conditioning) joke, but nevermind.

Do you mind telling me what went wrong for you with comenity?

Amex BCP $35k
Chase FU $19.6k
BOA Cash Rewards $36k
BJs Perks Plus M/C $22k
Cap1 QS $4,950 (AU)
Best Buy $4k
Wells Fargo Active Cash $11.3
Message 11 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's so Bad about COMENITY?

@Anonymous wrote:
I have two retails from them, opening in July and September of last year. Have had them paid off, have carried balances, have used promos. I’ve gotten regular CLIs on both, to many multiples of their SLs (both started at $500, one is now $2500 and one is $3700).

I’ve had no issues. What I have seen in many tales was people opening several retail cards in a shorter-than-smart timeframe, and then getting a V/MC from them also, and being subsequently shut down. I believe the AA closures simply are from abuse of the SCT in the past and opening more lines than one’s profile could support. Most SCT abusers were fairly early rebuilders from what I can recall, with low 600s, who were snapping up any possible credit like kids on Halloween candy, and paid the price for getting too much too soon.

Unfortunately it's not that simple. Comenity can and has shut customers down who never had a Comenity card and got a V/MC card for too many new accounts. It's the only reason I never applied for the WS VISA and why I'm not going to go for Sony or PlayStation in November but rather wait til February. 

Message 12 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Case in point, this was just posted today. 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Sportsman-guide-advantage-visa/m-p/5759564/hi...

Approved and then shut down for inquiries. 

Message 13 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m definitely on board with the fact that what I was saying isn’t the whole story. Comenity seems to hold far higher standards on the V/MC offerings than on retail cards. That example you listed is a case in point, along with what I was saying regarding multiple store cards followed by a major card - too many apps before getting the V/MC. Otherwise though, it does seem that overexuberant apping for any card that would be approved (does ANYONE need a credit card for Piercing Pagoda?) was the catalyst for the AA.
Message 14 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the Comenity BJs card, had it for about 3 years and have had ZERO issues. They are good with soft pull CLI and also $0 offers to transfer balances to them for 18 to 20 months with $0 APR. I honestly can't say enough nice about them because they've treated me great. I originally got it just to save 10 cents on gas, but I never expected I'd like it for anything else. I couldn't resist the balance transfer offer they gave me, that was unexpected, especially when everyone else had a 3% or more transfer fee.

Message 15 of 37
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

I’m staying clear of Comenity!
RIP Comenity!
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 16 of 37
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@PutThatMoneyOnTheTable wrote:

@Medic981 wrote:

Not a fan of Comenity

I opened up an Adorama CC to take advantage of 0% financing for 6 months. I set up bill pay through NFCU to pay on the account. My first payment was posted 8 days late. NFCU investigated and found that they sent a paper check (Comenity didn't allow for ACH payment) 4 days before the bill was due. Comenity states they didn't get the payment until 8 days past the due date. Comenity refused to return the late payment so I canceled my Adorama account and immediately paid off the account. 

This is why I am not a fan of Comenity.

So to say the least, I will never knowingly open a credit account with Comenity again.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 17 of 37
PutThatMoneyOnTheTable
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the Comenity BJs card, had it for about 3 years and have had ZERO issues. They are good with soft pull CLI and also $0 offers to transfer balances to them for 18 to 20 months with $0 APR. I honestly can't say enough nice about them because they've treated me great. I originally got it just to save 10 cents on gas, but I never expected I'd like it for anything else. I couldn't resist the balance transfer offer they gave me, that was unexpected, especially when everyone else had a 3% or more transfer fee.

Nice to know that the 0% BT offers also applies to the BJ's card. 10 cents on gas is great. We spend on average $300-500 per month on groceries. 

Amex BCP $35k
Chase FU $19.6k
BOA Cash Rewards $36k
BJs Perks Plus M/C $22k
Cap1 QS $4,950 (AU)
Best Buy $4k
Message 18 of 37
PutThatMoneyOnTheTable
Established Contributor

@Medic981 wrote:

@Medic981 wrote:

Not a fan of Comenity

I opened up an Adorama CC to take advantage of 0% financing for 6 months. I set up bill pay through NFCU to pay on the account. My first payment was posted 8 days late. NFCU investigated and found that they sent a paper check (Comenity didn't allow for ACH payment) 4 days before the bill was due. Comenity states they didn't get the payment until 8 days past the due date. Comenity refused to return the late payment so I canceled my Adorama account and immediately paid off the account. 

So to say the least, I will never knowingly open a credit account with Comenity again.

Sorry you had to go through that, but that's some valuable information. I'll make a purchase and do a test payment to find out if they do ACH with my checking account. If it's paper check I'll have to schedule my payments days ahead or find out what bank they are ACH compatible with.

Amex BCP $35k
Chase FU $19.6k
BOA Cash Rewards $36k
BJs Perks Plus M/C $22k
Cap1 QS $4,950 (AU)
Best Buy $4k
Message 19 of 37
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Medic981 wrote:

@Medic981 wrote:

Not a fan of Comenity

Sorry you had to go through that, but that's some valuable information. I'll make a purchase and do a test payment to find out if they do ACH with my checking account. If it's paper check I'll have to schedule my payments days ahead or find out what bank they are ACH compatible with.

Payments can also be made (or pulled) directly from the Comenity website.  I've had no issues doing so.  That said, if you are pushing payments directly from your own institution, it's best to test things out to learn what the typical delivery/posting timeframe is.   I would never assume that any institutions would handle it via ACH as banks/CUs have their own Bill Pay agreements and funds settlement process.  So, in the above scenario, it's always good to learn beforehand how some payments are made/delivered to a variety of payees. 

Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.