cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's so great about American Express?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's so great about American Express?

Amex is the best if you ever need to establish credit in another country.

Message 31 of 259
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will add my 2 cents. I have been an authorized user on 2 AmEx cards for about a 1.5 years and just got my own AmEx Delta Plat this month. 

Why I wanted in?

1. As an authorized user, I was able to set up my own account with AmEx and make payments, see my charges, etc. This is super helpful for me. 

2. Even as an authorized user, customer service is awesome for me, both by chat and by phone. This awesome customer service continues with my own AmEx card. 

3. AmEx has co-branded cards with Delta and Marriott, two of the companies I do business with the most. Wish they had United, but Chase does and Chase won't let me in. 

4. Went with the Delta Plat bc with the companion ticket each year, that would usually more than offset the annual fee. The points at 2x on Delta isn't alot, but hopefully the rumored refresh will take care of that. Also received a pretty decent SL at $7900. That is my second highest SL second only to Cap 1 Venture at $10,000.

5. Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant card will work for me as I stay exclusively at Marriott and I can make use of the perks included with the card. The $300 credit and all the other perks will more than cover the annual fee for me. Just the unlimited priority pass (which I use alot), along with the statement credit and $100 Ritz credit will put me in the black where the annual fee is concerned. 

6. The protections, such as Return Protection, Purchase Protection, etc. also is a draw for me. i am actually a consumer who uses these protections when situations arise (sometimes i'm just unlucky).

6. The plan it feature seems great. 

7. The possibility of SP 3x CLI. 

8. Possibiity of SP for new cards as an existing card member. 

9. Not part of the MR network of cards yet, but will do my research to see if this is something that would fit my needs as I tend to travel between US and China at least twice per year. But this may increase to 3 to 4 times per year next year. 

So, for me, AmEx has a lot to offer.

Message 32 of 259
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

As everyone around here knows, I'm kinda ambivalent about AMEX. I'd say go for the Credit One NASCAR Visa. That's a goal card for sure. Smiley Wink

Message 33 of 259
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Get stranded in another country, with water over your floorboard and your rental car won't run,

and all the Hotels are Booked to the Max. Call American Express and have several Reps work on getting

you out of your car in a flood and safely into a hotel. and then you will know why American Express is Great!

True Story!

There is a Reason For;

Message 34 of 259
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

its not for the web portal, that is for sure.  looks like a bunch of high school hacks put it together and who on earth would not stick pendings in with a running balance is beyond me - the portal sucks.  the only thing I use them for is the BRG 10% up to $ 1500 + 1pt per $ 1 dell offers they have.  I have an AU platinum that I use at centurions and the $ 200 bag back.  if they gave the uber chunk at one time then I would reverse my feelings towards them lol

Message 35 of 259
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

I have not used American Express since December 2018 and just this morning I was thinking of how peaceful and normal is it without those crazies.

If you like a card issuer that reneges on SUB after the spend is met I highly recommend American Express. The fun part is that you put 1% spend on Amex when you had better rewards cards in your wallet just to make that spend for the bogus SUB.

If you like a card issuer that drops cash back rewards to 1% light years before the category ceiling is hit, you will love American Express!

Do you want a card issuer that claws back a cash reward after it has been redeemed and posted? Amex is the only one I know of who will accomodate you. 

Amex will do what others won't. 

If you preference is a card that you can swipe, pay and go on with your life stay far away from American Express.

Sounds like there are a lot of lessons to be learned here but few actually pertaining to the lender. 

I know I will regret asking this but what are the lessons?

Why is the cardholder always wrong in the eyes of some?

Thanks!

Message 36 of 259
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Two main reasons I like AmEX.

BCP:

Capture.PNG

And BCE:

Capture2.PNG

Message 37 of 259
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

What's so great about American Express?, some are to busy looking at Web Portals and minor petty stuff.

https://i.imgur.com/3YrVIEN.jpg

Message 38 of 259
forestgreenrover
Regular Contributor

@redpat wrote:
OP, you need to do your own research on MR points.

I'm not going to go into great detail but my redemptions range from 1.60x - 10x per MR points. Also, I now get a ton of MR points using eBates and Rockmiles.

Travel rewards will always get you a bigger bang for your dollar vs. cash back on redemptions.

Also, the travel perks on Amex plat beat anyother premium card on the market. I have CSR and still doesn't beat plat.

Giggity. We're several months into it now, and I still can't believe this AmEx/Ebates partnership. 15x-20x MR points per dollar at times just for shopping through a portal? It's totally bonkers.

AmEx Gold, BECU Cash Back 38k, PSECU Founders Visa Sig 30k, IKEA Projekt 28k, NFCU CashRewards 28k, Macy's AmEx 25k, NFCU More Rewards 24.5k, PNC Cash Rewards Visa Sig 20k, PNC Core 20k, Lowe's 17k, Overstock.com 16k, NFCU Plat 15.3k, FNBO Visa 12.3k, AmEx BCP 12k, AmEx EDP 12k, Citi DC 11k, AmEx Delta Gold SkyMiles 10k, PayPal 2% 10k, NFCU CLOC 10k, BBVA Clear Points 9.5k, Amazon Store 8k, Discover it 7.9k, PenFed Power Cash 6.25k, Kay 5.25k, Huntington Voice Plat 5.1k, J.Crew 4.5k, 5/3rd Trio 4k, Citizens Cash Back+ 3.8k, BB&T Bright 3.5k, BB&T Spectrum CR 3.5k, WF Cash Wise 3k, Huntington Voice Rewards 2.9k, WF Propel 2k, BECU Visa 2k, Citi Goodyear 1.9k, Cap 1 QS 1.75k, Cap 1 QS 1.45k
Message 39 of 259
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Get stranded in another country, with water over your floorboard and your rental car won't run,

and all the Hotels are Booked to the Max. Call American Express and have several Reps work on getting

you out of your car in a flood and safely into a hotel. and then you will know why American Express is Great!

True Story!

There is a Reason For;

NICE ... ! Smiley Very Happy Don't leave us hangin' ... tell us the rest of the story as this does sound interesting!

Message 40 of 259
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.