cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's so great about American Express?

tag
Peter1142
Established Contributor

Re: What's so great about American Express?

So I do see some things that are good about Amex here. But their base offerings on the Skymiles card still seems weak. I do hope they refresh the card as rumored. The 6% cash back on groceries for the Blue Cash sounds really nice. Too bad I can't switch, and I shouldn't be adding another card right now, maybe 6 months down the line.

Message 41 of 259
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Like any other lender, they work for some people and not for others. I don't think there's anything inherently great about them or that everyone needs to have them in their wallet. It just depends on your wants and needs.

Message 42 of 259
bergrides
Regular Contributor

I would agree that it depends on your needs.  I have to buy groceries for 3 or 4 people, so the BCP 6% on groceries pays off, and the gas 3% is ok.  Their customer service has been outstanding and I find their website easy to use, which is very important to me.

Message 43 of 259
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Get stranded in another country, with water over your floorboard and your rental car won't run,

and all the Hotels are Booked to the Max. Call American Express and have several Reps work on getting

you out of your car in a flood and safely into a hotel. and then you will know why American Express is Great!

True Story!

There is a Reason For;

Years ago (mid-1990s) they also came to my rescue while overseas.  It's not quite as dramatic as this, but I'll never forget. 

Making matters even more notable, I was a new cardholder and my card was a student account, but they still went over and beyond what they had to do.

I know not everybody can make their rewards work, but anybody who regularly travels - especially overseas - should at least give Amex a look.

Message 44 of 259
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Tell me why you love your AMEX ...

I'm puzzled.  Smiley Indifferent

I've had some AMEX cards before a long time ago, but none recently.  It seems they have changed and I have also looked at cards I used to completely discount like the Platinum.  Still, I see none of their products that really excite me or work for me, especially given their annual fees on many cards and restrictions on rewards. 

My question is ... am I missing something?  For those of you who swear by AMEX and Member Rewards, what is your situation? (Lifestyle, spending habits, redeeming points, etc.)

It would seem most of their premium cards like Gold or Platinum or travel cards (Delta, Hilton etc.) are only really good for frequent business travelers who pay for their own tickets and expenses?   (I travel but my employer arranges everything.) 

Cash Magnet seems fine but no better than many other cash-back cards and actually inferior to several competitors that pay 2% or more with no caps.  Only paying 1.5% is passe' at this point. 

Blue Cash Everyday / Preferred is nothing special because I have a credit union card that pays 3 point (3%) on supermarkets (with no cap!) and I have other cards that pay more than 2% on gas ... with no AFs.    *I also eat out more than I buy groceries.  Ditto for the Gold Card, which I know pays 4x MR points at supermarkets but you must offset the AF in value calculations. 

Dining out, I have two cards that pay 3% already so the 4x MR on Gold card doesn't seem like a value to me.  (I have Chase Sapphire Reserve that pays 4.5% for dining out when redeemed for travel.  I also have Citi-Costco that pays 3% cash-back at restaurants with no AF.)

I also wonder how many people will admit to applying and carrying the AMEX cards because they believe it adds prestige to their wallet, even if they don't actually make financial sense?  In my case, I can't justify a card that I'm not getting value from. BTW, my credit profile would probably qualify me for any of their cards.

So tell me why I should reconsider AMEX or why they may be right for me after all. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 45 of 259
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tell me why you love your AMEX ...

They give me high limits and free $$ every year to upgrade and downgrade.  I think I'm over $750 so far on the BCE/P switches and another $150 on the CM and 50K points on the Gold.

Message 46 of 259
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Because i can spell itSmiley Wink
Message 47 of 259
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tell me why you love your AmEx turned into "So tell me why I should reconsider AMEX or why they may be right for me after all". 

Let's don't and say we did.

Message 48 of 259
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Tell me why you love your AmEx turned into "So tell me why I should reconsider AMEX or why they may be right for me after all".  Let's don't and say we did.

Wow. Harsh.  Smiley Sad  I was just giving my perspective on why it seemed their cards wouldn't work for me, but wanted other viewpoints.  It seemed only fair to state my experience with it up-front and then invite others who have used their cards more to make counter-points about how MR points are more valuable to them, etc.  Isn't discussion the entire point of these forums? 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 49 of 259
Anonymous
Not applicable

Because I like them and they fit my needs. They apparently don’t fit yours. Lots of other lenders to chose from for you.
Message 50 of 259
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.