Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's so great about American Express?

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Tell me why you love your AMEX ...

I got one because it impresses my dog every time I take it out.

PhotoGrid_1559433777321.jpg

I guess stuff like ease of management and immediate payment credit doesn't hurt either, but I'm just trying to impress my dog.

Message 51 of 259
Kforce
Valued Contributor

I don't have an Amex.

They don't have a card that I need.

A few reasons that I have seen on the My-Fico forum.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1)  They are friendly to those starting out with thin profiles.

2)  Many believe they are a prestigious card.

3)  Known for high CL's and short periods between getting more.

4) Have some nice looking cards.

5) SP for getting a second or third card.

Message 52 of 259
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like my platinum card because I can work the benefits to my benefit to offset the charge - but primarily for the lounge access, particularly the Centurion and Delta lounges.

I like my Gold card for now, because I got it with the annual fee waived for the first year just before they improved the points structure.

And I like my Everyday Card for the 15 months interest free.

And most of all I like the 50,000 Aeroplan miles and 150,000 Membership Reward points I've collected over the last couple of years from sign-up bonuses and a referral, apart from points on purchases.

Message 53 of 259
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I get a lot of credits on my cobrand Schwab Platinum for money I'd be spending, anyway. The perks (which I use) are effectively free for me.

BBP gives me 2x MRs on up to $50k spend per year. Combined with Schwab Platinum, that's a 2.5% cash floor with the option to get even more value from miles. Transfer bonuses boost the appeal of miles even further. BofA could give me an uncapped 2.625%, but I wouldn't have any transfer partners.

The spend tracking tools are excellent. I use them for tax-related stuff.

Marriott is $450 but comes with a $300 credit and an annual night.

Excellent customer service on Platinum.

BCP's annual fee can be worthwhile with enough grocery spend.

I'd agree that Cash Magnet, BCE, and Schwab Investor are pretty mediocre. Some people like them for SP CLIs or 0% periods.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 54 of 259
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Tossing in one item of pure convenience:  No need to login and report travel plans every single time I leave my state.

Message 55 of 259
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Cred4All wrote:

Tossing in one item of pure convenience:  No need to login and report travel plans every single time I leave my state.

I didn't know this, but that is a nice feature.

Wish a couple of mine worked this way !

Message 56 of 259
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

As far as rewards are concerned, I haven't found an Amex that works for me, either.

But the biggest reason I don't have one, is that my coworkers all use Amex's (exclusively) when travelling, and it seems like half the time they go to pay for something it's "Sorry we don't take Amex", and then I end up having to pay with one of my cards. I suspect maybe that's why they only bring Amex cards with them Smiley Very Happy But I digress... it would seriously annoy me to be told "sorry, no amex" every other time I go to use the card, so I avoid the issue by simply never trying to use an Amex.

Also, I'm really not very thrilled by the Centurion airline lounges. Every time I've been to one, it's been standing-room-only, as it's filled with people beyond capacity. I have much better luck in the Star Alliance lounges, which I already have access to when I travel.

Not really meaning to bash on Amex, I know they work for a lot of people and I'm glad that they add some variety and additional options for people to pick from. I'm just saying that so far I haven't really found one that makes any sense for my own needs.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 57 of 259
kdm31091
Super Contributor

To me if you need people to talk you into a product it probably isn't right for you. Amex doesn't have anything IMO that is indispensable. It could be that they don't have a place in your wallet and that's fine.

You are right in that most of the AF products have credits to (somewhat) offset the AF but the credits are purposely designed to be restrictive. If you won't easily find use for the various credits, the products are expensive. If you aren't redeeming the points at a high value, you're better off with other cards.

As far as the cash back cards, they're pretty run of the mill. I have a Magnet, if only beause Amex easily gave me a large limit and once in a blue moon there's a useful Amex offer. I wouldn't suggest rushing to app for it though.

Message 58 of 259
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP, you have a CSR. You’re covered for travel rewards.  I just PC’d my CSP to CSR. 

The Cash Magnet and BCE are not cards that I have. I agree those cards are yawners, that’s why I don’t have those AMEX versions.  

Instead I have ( in no particular ranking ) Gold, Platinum, Aspire, Bonvoy Brilliant, and Delta Reserve. Platinum is the newest and introduces several overlaps, so I probably need to look whether any need to be closed, but I get value, status, free stuff, and points from the cards, so I won’t be rushing to close. I may not close any of them for some years.  I too travel for work, and the cards provide status for both work and personal travel.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 59 of 259
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love the fact that I can rack up a crap load of points with my Amex. 161k MR Points earned on my Amex Gold card in the last 11 months. I gotten $200 Southwest gift cards, $90 in food credit, $150 cash back in Amex Offers. Pretty good for no annual fee first year.

So far in 2 months, I racked up 206k Hilton Points with my Amex Hilton Honors Aspire card. Gotten $250 Delta gift card, $250 resort credit (2 free nights at a resort) and free room upgrades. Still waiting on my annual free night anyday now. I can easily offset the $450 annual fee with credits and perks. Smiley Very Happy

Message 60 of 259
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.