Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's so great about American Express?

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Tell me why you love your AMEX ...

@coreysw12 wrote:

As far as rewards are concerned, I haven't found an Amex that works for me, either.

But the biggest reason I don't have one, is that my coworkers all use Amex's (exclusively) when travelling, and it seems like half the time they go to pay for something it's "Sorry we don't take Amex", and then I end up having to pay with one of my cards. I suspect maybe that's why they only bring Amex cards with them Smiley Very Happy But I digress... it would seriously annoy me to be told "sorry, no amex" every other time I go to use the card, so I avoid the issue by simply never trying to use an Amex.

Also, I'm really not very thrilled by the Centurion airline lounges. Every time I've been to one, it's been standing-room-only, as it's filled with people beyond capacity. I have much better luck in the Star Alliance lounges, which I already have access to when I travel.

Not really meaning to bash on Amex, I know they work for a lot of people and I'm glad that they add some variety and additional options for people to pick from. I'm just saying that so far I haven't really found one that makes any sense for my own needs.

I have no idea where you guys go, but I've literally only been told twice in my life that amex isn't accepted.

Message 61 of 259
Zolomon
Regular Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

So tell me why I should reconsider AMEX or why they may be right for me after all. 

I find that there is no better point accruing duo than the Amex Gold (4x) and Blue Business Plus (2x). I offset my Gold's AF with a couple of Delta gift cards and a monthly meal at Shake Shack (my favorite burger place). However, the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Freedom Unlimited are also an amazing duo, and both setups compliment eachother tremendously. This is my current four card setup for accruing points and traveling (lounge access, primary rental car insurance, visa backup).

The name of the game is travel, and the key to success is transfer partners. Amex and Chase both transfer to British Airways directly. If you need to transfer to an airline where one card cannot transfer, just transfer to an airline in a given alliance. That alliance can use points from different airlines within itself. (I hope that makes sense)

The Amex Platinum is definitely built for frequent flyers, but non frequent flyers like myself can take advantage of the card in the first year by using all it's perks twice and canceling when the second AF hits. I've come out ahead $150 so far on my Business Platinum and will be canceling soon.

Personal cards:

Business cards:

Message 62 of 259
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@coreysw12 wrote:

As far as rewards are concerned, I haven't found an Amex that works for me, either.

But the biggest reason I don't have one, is that my coworkers all use Amex's (exclusively) when travelling, and it seems like half the time they go to pay for something it's "Sorry we don't take Amex", and then I end up having to pay with one of my cards. I suspect maybe that's why they only bring Amex cards with them Smiley Very Happy But I digress... it would seriously annoy me to be told "sorry, no amex" every other time I go to use the card, so I avoid the issue by simply never trying to use an Amex.

Also, I'm really not very thrilled by the Centurion airline lounges. Every time I've been to one, it's been standing-room-only, as it's filled with people beyond capacity. I have much better luck in the Star Alliance lounges, which I already have access to when I travel.

Not really meaning to bash on Amex, I know they work for a lot of people and I'm glad that they add some variety and additional options for people to pick from. I'm just saying that so far I haven't really found one that makes any sense for my own needs.

I have no idea where you guys go, but I've literally only been told twice in my life that amex isn't accepted.

Seriously. I’ve never understood this. I’ve had an AMEX for nearly 20 years and can probably count the number of places that it hasn’t been accepted on one hand (and they were sketchy mom and pop places). I also travel for work, and use a corporate AMEX for those expenses and have never had it denied in any of my usual business travel transaction happenings. 

Message 63 of 259
redpat
Senior Contributor

OP, tough Saturday night????  How many drinks????

Just another Amex bashing post, one of many around here.

Just book another FHR third night free at Waldorf Astoria $216 per night, $100 property credit and free breakfast.  This wasn’t offered on chase’s LHRC.  Better rate than Hilton direct and gold doesn’t get breakfast WA’s.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 64 of 259
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@coreysw12 wrote:

Seriously. I’ve never understood this. I’ve had an AMEX for nearly 20 years and can probably count the number of places that it hasn’t been accepted on one hand (and they were sketchy mom and pop places). I also travel for work, and use a corporate AMEX for those expenses and have never had it denied in any of my usual business travel transaction happenings. 

Well, people aren't making it up!  Rightly or wrongly, some merchants choose not to take Amex because the fees are thought to be higher.  The data below is old (2013) but at that time there certainly was quite a big gap, and while major merchants probably accept all in the US, it's clear that if you go to enough small places, you will run into places that don't take Amex.   (The small graphic shows 9M US retailers accepting V/MC/D and 6M accepting Amex)

download.png

Message 65 of 259
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@coreysw12 wrote:

Well, people aren't making it up!  Rightly or wrongly, some merchants choose not to take Amex because the fees are thought to be higher.  The data below is old (2013) but at that time there certainly was quite a big gap, and while major merchants probably accept all in the US, it's clear that if you go to enough small places, you will run into places that don't take Amex.

download.png

Your point is understood, but to be fair, that’s 6 year old data. AMEX, over the past 4 or 5 years, has gained some ground through a concentrate effort on their part (lowering fees). [and let’s not forget that all Visa and MasterCard fees are not made equal and always as low as everyone paints them to be]

And to paint the big picture, this is ALL merchants and that includes small business. It would be fair to say that you’d be hard pressed to find too many every day places that don’t accept AMEX. We can’t forget that AMEX has a huge share of the corporate credit card pie - if acceptance was that big of any issue, that would be the case also. 

Message 66 of 259
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@coreysw12 wrote:

Well, people aren't making it up!  Rightly or wrongly, some merchants choose not to take Amex because the fees are thought to be higher.  The data below is old (2013) but at that time there certainly was quite a big gap, and while major merchants probably accept all in the US, it's clear that if you go to enough small places, you will run into places that don't take Amex.

download.png

Your point is understood, but to be fair, that’s 6 year old data. AMEX, over the past 4 or 5 years, has gained some ground through a concentrate effort on their part (lowering fees). [and let’s not forget that all Visa and MasterCard fees are not made equal and always as low as everyone paints them to be]

And to paint the big picture, this is ALL merchants and that includes small business. It would be fair to say that you’d be hard pressed to find too many every day places that don’t accept AMEX. We can’t forget that AMEX has a huge share of the corporate credit card pie - if acceptance was that big of any issue, that would be the case also. 

Only once so far in 2019.  

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 67 of 259
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

6% back on groceries

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 68 of 259
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

Lot of spend on my cards, nice credit lines, earn 4x and 5x MR points on gold and plat and cash back and other perks...if you will use them for what they are for, they are good cards.

Message 69 of 259
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aim_High wrote:

I'm puzzled.  Smiley Indifferent

I've had some AMEX cards before a long time ago, but none recently.  It seems they have changed and I have also looked at cards I used to completely discount like the Platinum.  Still, I see none of their products that really excite me or work for me, especially given their annual fees on many cards and restrictions on rewards. 

My question is ... am I missing something?  For those of you who swear by AMEX and Member Rewards, what is your situation? (Lifestyle, spending habits, redeeming points, etc.)

It would seem most of their premium cards like Gold or Platinum or travel cards (Delta, Hilton etc.) are only really good for frequent business travelers who pay for their own tickets and expenses?   (I travel but my employer arranges everything.) 

Cash Magnet seems fine but no better than many other cash-back cards and actually inferior to several competitors that pay 2% or more with no caps.  Only paying 1.5% is passe' at this point. 

Blue Cash Everyday / Preferred is nothing special because I have a credit union card that pays 3 point (3%) on supermarkets (with no cap!) and I have other cards that pay more than 2% on gas ... with no AFs.    *I also eat out more than I buy groceries.  Ditto for the Gold Card, which I know pays 4x MR points at supermarkets but you must offset the AF in value calculations. 

Dining out, I have two cards that pay 3% already so the 4x MR on Gold card doesn't seem like a value to me.  (I have Chase Sapphire Reserve that pays 4.5% for dining out when redeemed for travel.  I also have Citi-Costco that pays 3% cash-back at restaurants with no AF.)

I also wonder how many people will admit to applying and carrying the AMEX cards because they believe it adds prestige to their wallet, even if they don't actually make financial sense?  In my case, I can't justify a card that I'm not getting value from. BTW, my credit profile would probably qualify me for any of their cards.

So tell me why I should reconsider AMEX or why they may be right for me after all. 

Everyone is different, and AMEX cannot hope to satisfy everyone's needs with a limited set of product offerings (each of which is also spaced as far away as possible from the big competitors' similar products).

Thus even if some people on the internet swear by AMEX cards, you'd be better off not consider them for the long term if AMEX cards make no financial sense for your specific situation. We all know 'Card A works well for Alice' doesn't automatically translate to 'Card A also works well for Bob'.

That said, many open them for the SUB (sign up bonus) and close/downgrade to no AF version after 1 year if the card doesn't work out for them. This is kind of like test drive a car even if it doesn't look great on paper (because the dealer offers free visa gift cards to anyone who comes in for a test drive) and does make financial sense for many.

btw. I might be biased due to my plan to close multiple AMEX cards this year, but I do see a general trend of AMEX cards losing their competitive edge in the last few years. For example, there was a time (not that distant from now) when neither Citi nor Chase has any card that offers priority pass but AMEX Platinum can get you into delta sky club, AA admirals club as well as US airways club lounges. I'm sure AMEX is adjusting to the new competitive landscape, but again as we all know, these kind of adjustments are almost always too slow and too limited (otherwise once mighty companies will never fall and no new companies will grow to dominate, but that is obvious not the case).

Message 70 of 259
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.