Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's so great about American Express?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tell me why you love your AMEX ...

There's places in Hawaii that don't take American Express. Lots of mom and pop places outside the tourist places that don't take amex.
Message 71 of 259
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me, it's mainly 2 reasons:

1. Their cards aren't the easiest to get. Amex has a reputation of being very conservative.

2. They have amongst the most generous CLI scheme.

Other than that, there's nothing special about them. Their customer service and rewards are exceptionally average, athough their travel products seem to be good (don't have any of them yet).

Message 72 of 259
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

For me, it's mainly 2 reasons:

1. Their cards aren't the easiest to get. Amex has a rputation of being very conservative.

2. They have amongst the most generous CLI scheme.

Other than that, there's nothing special about them. Their customer service and rewards are exceptionally average, athough their travel products seem to be good (don't have any of them yet).

I know they have this reputation of being exclusive or elite with the general public, but I find Amex cards are easy to get relative to some of the other banks.

Message 73 of 259
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

Not aimed at the op or anyone but no one specific card is PERFECT.  Amex is wonderful to me.  No point in bashing their cards or any cards honestly, just don't get it if it's not for you.  I don't get some people who bash it for the AF.  That's like someone buying a ferrari or lambo and then saying they can't afford the maintenance or don't understand why it's so expensive.  Everyone will decide on the card that is right for them. 

550af and 250af is nothing for the cards when you use utilize them for their perks and it's easily offset.  If you're income doesn't support it, it's a reason to not get it and find a card that works with your income. 

I also agree with someone who said if you have to be convinced, it's not the card for you....that applies to a lot in life. 

I just got the CM in April, Gold last week and Platinum this week...I researched on my own about the cards, read opinions on here, etc.  If I listened to every opinion about the cards, I wouldn't have them but what works for person A may not work for Person B. 

Just my opinion...

Message 74 of 259
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

OP,

You've actually aswered your own questions why AmX would not be good for you. Everyone has different reasons why they like or dislike any card that it is their pocket.

You are right about the 1.5% CB on many cards, but the reason I use my AmX Magnet vs. NFCU CashRewards at the moment is I'm in a 0% APR. Once that expires March 2020, I'll look for another 0% APR card or use NFCU since I PIF anyway. Also, the CB is direct deposited right into your account and it can be as small as $1.

Yes, the CitiDC is 2% CB, but it's not redeemable until it reaches $25 and I think this is the card that does not direct deposit it, so you have to get a check. Too much problem for me for an extra 0.5%.

Citi Costco has an annual membership fee that you only can get CB once a year via a draft check, which you can go to Costco to cash or shop. Why can't it just be direct deposited to my checking account or at least a bank check? Oh, I know why. They're hoping you use it at Costco, which is a no-no because it's better to use the card to get the points. Just cash the draft check and use your card for shopping. 

So, the gist for me is, I don't really love any one of my cards more than the other. I just use the card that benefits me the most at any specific time.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 75 of 259
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@coreysw12 wrote:

As far as rewards are concerned, I haven't found an Amex that works for me, either.

But the biggest reason I don't have one, is that my coworkers all use Amex's (exclusively) when travelling, and it seems like half the time they go to pay for something it's "Sorry we don't take Amex", and then I end up having to pay with one of my cards. I suspect maybe that's why they only bring Amex cards with them Smiley Very Happy But I digress... it would seriously annoy me to be told "sorry, no amex" every other time I go to use the card, so I avoid the issue by simply never trying to use an Amex.

Also, I'm really not very thrilled by the Centurion airline lounges. Every time I've been to one, it's been standing-room-only, as it's filled with people beyond capacity. I have much better luck in the Star Alliance lounges, which I already have access to when I travel.

Not really meaning to bash on Amex, I know they work for a lot of people and I'm glad that they add some variety and additional options for people to pick from. I'm just saying that so far I haven't really found one that makes any sense for my own needs.

I have no idea where you guys go, but I've literally only been told twice in my life that amex isn't accepted.

+1

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 76 of 259
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@coreysw12 wrote:

As far as rewards are concerned, I haven't found an Amex that works for me, either.

But the biggest reason I don't have one, is that my coworkers all use Amex's (exclusively) when travelling, and it seems like half the time they go to pay for something it's "Sorry we don't take Amex", and then I end up having to pay with one of my cards. I suspect maybe that's why they only bring Amex cards with them Smiley Very Happy But I digress... it would seriously annoy me to be told "sorry, no amex" every other time I go to use the card, so I avoid the issue by simply never trying to use an Amex.

Also, I'm really not very thrilled by the Centurion airline lounges. Every time I've been to one, it's been standing-room-only, as it's filled with people beyond capacity. I have much better luck in the Star Alliance lounges, which I already have access to when I travel.

Not really meaning to bash on Amex, I know they work for a lot of people and I'm glad that they add some variety and additional options for people to pick from. I'm just saying that so far I haven't really found one that makes any sense for my own needs.

I have no idea where you guys go, but I've literally only been told twice in my life that amex isn't accepted.

Seriously. I’ve never understood this. I’ve had an AMEX for nearly 20 years and can probably count the number of places that it hasn’t been accepted on one hand (and they were sketchy mom and pop places). I also travel for work, and use a corporate AMEX for those expenses and have never had it denied in any of my usual business travel transaction happenings. 

+10

Message 77 of 259
NRB525
Super Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@coreysw12 wrote:

Seriously. I’ve never understood this. I’ve had an AMEX for nearly 20 years and can probably count the number of places that it hasn’t been accepted on one hand (and they were sketchy mom and pop places). I also travel for work, and use a corporate AMEX for those expenses and have never had it denied in any of my usual business travel transaction happenings. 

+10

If you aren’t finding places AMEX is not accepted, and VISA and MC are accepted, you probably need to expand your horizons of places you go Smiley Wink 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 78 of 259
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^^^^^^ What???? Lol
Message 79 of 259
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

People have made some good points but for me the NPSL feature on the charge cards particularly for the business side I like. For those that run really large balances it's nice to not worry about an actual credit line and not have to make multiple payments so you get to keep your cash flow in check.

Message 80 of 259
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.